Re: [Covenanted Reformation] from yalls expertise

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2007
      Marie Clements wrote:
      > Thank you Larry. What does RPCNA stand for?

      Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America.
      http://www.westminsterrpc.org/westminsterrpc/

      > Near the Lake, right? Do you know what town they are in?

      Prairie View.
      http://reformedpresbyterian.org/cong_db.php?id=80
    • Glenn Ferrell
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
        Can anyone tell me when the RPCNA changed their stand on voting in US civil elections and what arguments were used for the change?

        Glenn

        J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho   http://sermonaudio.com/reformationidaho

      • Larry Bump
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
          Glenn Ferrell wrote:
          > Can anyone tell me when the RPCNA changed their stand on voting in US
          > civil elections and what arguments were used for the change?

          Before my time, and I don't know.
          I wish I could help.

          Larry
        • Glenn Ferrell
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
            I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they wanted to support the Radical Republicans.  Don't know, just guessing.

            Any further information would be appreciated.

            To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
            From: lbump@...
            Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:21:03 -0400
            Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Question

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
              Glenn Ferrell wrote:
              > I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they wanted to
              > support the Radical Republicans. Don't know, just guessing.
              >
              > Any further information would be appreciated.

              I have some queries out, I'll let you know what I find.
            • forisraelssake
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
                > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                > > I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they
                wanted to
                > > support the Radical Republicans. Don't know, just guessing.
                > >
                > > Any further information would be appreciated.
                >

                > I have some queries out, I'll let you know what I find.

                It seems Jim Dodson puts the denominational Synod of 1967 as the year
                the position changed, and 1980 with the present Testimony as the year
                it was put into the Constitution itself.

                Chris
                Orthodox Reformed Church of Edmonton (URCNA)
              • Larry Bump
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 14, 2007
                  Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                  > Any further information would be appreciated.

                  Here's what my Pastor says:

                  We changed our testimony in 1964 or 1965, and allowed the voting *for
                  those using the "Explanatory Declaration"* in 1968 or so. Despite the
                  fact that many, probably most, in our denomination ignore this, it
                  appears to me we're still supposed to do that. We're only to vote for
                  those who have the Christian view of civil government, and we define
                  what we mean by that in our _Testimony_. It basically, as it's written,
                  demands use of the "Explanatory Declaration".
                  The argument is that the "Explanatory Declaration" effectively
                  insulates the declarer from the immorality of the current Constitution
                  of government of the USA. In effect, it is really an Anti-Burgher
                  Seceder position, which we effectively took up in 1871, though very few
                  people inside the RPCNA realized the change of ground. It is the
                  position I now hold again.
                  Hope this helps a wee bit.