Re: [Covenanted Reformation] from yalls expertise

  • Marie Clements
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2007
      I would be interested to know also.. I live in Illinois, an hour away from Chicago.

      Thanks,

      Marie.

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2007
        Marie Clements wrote:
        > I would be interested to know also.. I live in Illinois, an hour away
        > from Chicago.

        Which direction?
        There is an RPCNA congregation north of Chicago on the lake.
      • Marie Clements
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2007
          Thank you Larry. What does  RPCNA stand for?

          Near the Lake, right?  Do you know what town they are in?

          Thanks,

          Marie.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2007
            Marie Clements wrote:
            > Thank you Larry. What does RPCNA stand for?

            Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America.
            http://www.westminsterrpc.org/westminsterrpc/

            > Near the Lake, right? Do you know what town they are in?

            Prairie View.
            http://reformedpresbyterian.org/cong_db.php?id=80
          • Glenn Ferrell
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
              Can anyone tell me when the RPCNA changed their stand on voting in US civil elections and what arguments were used for the change?

              Glenn

              J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho   http://sermonaudio.com/reformationidaho

            • Larry Bump
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
                Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                > Can anyone tell me when the RPCNA changed their stand on voting in US
                > civil elections and what arguments were used for the change?

                Before my time, and I don't know.
                I wish I could help.

                Larry
              • Glenn Ferrell
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
                  I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they wanted to support the Radical Republicans.  Don't know, just guessing.

                  Any further information would be appreciated.

                  To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
                  From: lbump@...
                  Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:21:03 -0400
                  Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Question

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
                    Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                    > I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they wanted to
                    > support the Radical Republicans. Don't know, just guessing.
                    >
                    > Any further information would be appreciated.

                    I have some queries out, I'll let you know what I find.
                  • forisraelssake
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 13, 2007
                      > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                      > > I wonder if it was in the Abolitionist debates, because they
                      wanted to
                      > > support the Radical Republicans. Don't know, just guessing.
                      > >
                      > > Any further information would be appreciated.
                      >

                      > I have some queries out, I'll let you know what I find.

                      It seems Jim Dodson puts the denominational Synod of 1967 as the year
                      the position changed, and 1980 with the present Testimony as the year
                      it was put into the Constitution itself.

                      Chris
                      Orthodox Reformed Church of Edmonton (URCNA)
                    • Larry Bump
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 14, 2007
                        Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                        > Any further information would be appreciated.

                        Here's what my Pastor says:

                        We changed our testimony in 1964 or 1965, and allowed the voting *for
                        those using the "Explanatory Declaration"* in 1968 or so. Despite the
                        fact that many, probably most, in our denomination ignore this, it
                        appears to me we're still supposed to do that. We're only to vote for
                        those who have the Christian view of civil government, and we define
                        what we mean by that in our _Testimony_. It basically, as it's written,
                        demands use of the "Explanatory Declaration".
                        The argument is that the "Explanatory Declaration" effectively
                        insulates the declarer from the immorality of the current Constitution
                        of government of the USA. In effect, it is really an Anti-Burgher
                        Seceder position, which we effectively took up in 1871, though very few
                        people inside the RPCNA realized the change of ground. It is the
                        position I now hold again.
                        Hope this helps a wee bit.