Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Sure got quiet

  • Deejay
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
      I am dipping in and out of (amongst other things) John Flavels'
      practical treatise on fear. That's very good too.

      I'm not sure how to say this well. But, like you mentioned your raging
      Calvinist edge is dying off. I am NOT directing at you personallly, so
      don't misunderstand, you know I think you're one of the good guys.but
      you're saying that just reminded me..but can't help but wonder if that
      happens to lots of folks, because they get caught up in life. They no
      longer have the time for private reading orthings of God or Scripture or
      things of God in general. Life and its riches (or in some cases curses)
      over takes them so that standing up for truth or just putting God first
      in the first fruits of thing.. . becomes less done.. as they may not be
      practically able to give God they once used to, as the time they gave
      Him at one time has been squeezed out in favour of other things of their
      own lives or interests or pursuits. I read something the weekend, even,
      about how even our family should never come before giving God His due..
      this may not be the kind of edifying topic you had in mind. But If you
      look at the lives of the puritans, they often gave God so much in terms
      of time, while meeting their familes needs, and their flocks, it would
      often cost them health at times, because they were so sedentary, in
      writing, reading and their own personal worshipping of God.

      Its the only blessing as I can see in the here and now of my own
      personal affliction. That when life is barren of the good things in
      life.. you will always have time still for God. Not because I'm any
      better than busier folks, but just circumstnaces dictate it.

      ~Deejay

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Jerry
      <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

      > Wonder what happened. Oh, yeah.... I remember.
      >
      > Ok, how about some good edifying topics for discussion?
      >
      > I've been going through Thomas Chalmers "Sabbath Scripture Readings,"
      > and I find the devotional nature and the practical godliness held
      forth
      > therein to be very refreshing. It seems that as I get older, the rage
      > of this Calvinist (as in the desire for debate) is more and more gone,
      > and the desire for more practical Christianity is growing. Anyone else
      > feel like this? What books do you recommend? Any provocations to
      > godliness to share with us?
      >
      > gmw.
      >
      > Larry Bump wrote:
      > >
      > > around here...

    • simon_padbury
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hi Deejay,

        Hey, I'm writing an email to you on a group other than your own
        group, for a change!

        <crazy_calvinist@...> wrote:

        > I am dipping in and out of (amongst other things) John Flavels'
        > practical treatise on fear. That's very good too.

        A modern Covenanter reading a Puritan's book about the fear of the
        Lord. That just has to be an excellent thing! A Scottish friend of
        mine wrote a catechism on the fear of the lord -- I may paste it in a
        subsequent email if I can find it. (That is, if I get, hmm, 3 people
        here saying they would like to see it!)

        Hmm. Covenant. Fear of the Lord. This reminds me of Psalm 25:14.
        Would that we all got really excited and awed by that Covenant.
        Perhaps if we're not, it's because we haven't held it in view (in
        front of the eye of faith) lately.

        > I'm not sure how to say this well. But, like you mentioned your
        raging
        > Calvinist edge is dying off. I am NOT directing at you personallly,
        so
        > don't misunderstand, you know I think you're one of the good
        guys.but
        > you're saying that just reminded me..but can't help but wonder if
        that
        > happens to lots of folks, because they get caught up in life.

        I think what Jerry means is, not that he's had enough of standing up
        for what's right, i.e., for Christ; but that he now doesn't wish so
        much these days that he had a sword in his hand! There's nothing
        wrong with being a man of peace, of course. I think Jerry might be
        onto something here. He wants to come out of the battles of the Lord,
        not only stronger, but with more troops by his side than what he went
        in with.

        I've been thinking too, about this idea that "getting caught up in
        life" can be a distraction from the things of God. We (I'm not
        getting at you) need to be careful about what we're saying here. Only
        the things which we cannot do for God's glory are those which ought
        not to be done; and those things which we can do for God's glory
        (which includes so much of the stuff of "life"), ought to be done for
        his glory. Put it like this, and nothing that's not wrong can be done
        for God, and need not therefore be a distraction from God. Indeed,
        the stuff of "life" if done for God's glory *is* the things of God.
        That, I think, is what the "Protestant work ethic" is all about.

        Trouble is, we have to overcome the way of thinking, which thinks
        that when we get up from our knees after our morning devotions, we've
        then exited the presence of God and moved to another compartment of
        our life, in which we've got to get on with doing the mundane,
        worldly stuff of "life" (whatever that might be for each of us --
        "whether ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do").

        Don't "get caught up in life" -- get "life" caught up in a godly
        walk. Huh, you know what I mean, I hope! A Puritan could have put it
        a lot better -- and probably did!

        > They no
        > longer have the time for private reading orthings of God or
        Scripture or
        > things of God in general. Life and its riches (or in some cases
        curses)
        > over takes them so that standing up for truth or just putting God
        first
        > in the first fruits of thing.. . becomes less done.. as they may
        not be
        > practically able to give God they once used to, as the time they
        gave
        > Him at one time has been squeezed out in favour of other things of
        their
        > own lives or interests or pursuits. I read something the weekend,
        even,
        > about how even our family should never come before giving God His
        due..
        > this may not be the kind of edifying topic you had in mind. But If
        you
        > look at the lives of the puritans, they often gave God so much in
        terms
        > of time, while meeting their familes needs, and their flocks, it
        would
        > often cost them health at times, because they were so sedentary, in
        > writing, reading and their own personal worshipping of God.

        I don't think the Puritans gave to their families, employment, those
        bits of their day which they didn't give to God. I think its more
        like: they gave the whole to God, and put God first in each,
        er, 'sphere'.

        > Its the only blessing as I can see in the here and now of my own
        > personal affliction. That when life is barren of the good things in
        > life.. you will always have time still for God. Not because I'm
        any
        > better than busier folks, but just circumstnaces dictate it.

        If your idea is right, then perhaps we should each and all be
        thinking, "Would that I had Deejay's illness, then I would not have
        to work, or look after family, and I could devote my whole day to
        God." I used to think like that. Except that I didn't want Deejay's
        illness, I wanted a pastorate; then I wouldn't have to go out to
        work! :o) But now, I'm sorry but I cannot agree with you, Deejay, on
        this. No disrespect intended toward you at all.

        Kind regards,

        Simon.
        Psalm 25:14.
      • Deejay
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
          I should have started a new thread instead of replying to Jerry's post
          as that way no one would have thought I was asperting on anyone else. As
          I wasn't. But either way, no aspertions were being cast upon anyone I
          may know at this group.

          Its a fact that in a lot of cases, comforts make folks complacent. But I
          obviously totally miscommunicated what I meant, for reasons I won't bore
          you with, but folks who know me from other than at this group may have
          some idea. So, no offence to Jerry or anyone else who it may have
          seemed like were being asperted on. As that wasn't the case.

          ~Deejay

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deejay"