Re: Gillespie's Latin anyone?

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007

      Chris,

      Thank you!  Let me know what you find out.  There is a lot of Latin with Gillespie and I only studied a semester of Latin, not enough to translate it, I'm afraid.

      Edgar Ibarra

      www.PresbiterianoReformado.org

      visiting Berkshire RPCNA mission work

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Coldwell" <naphtali@...> wrote:

      > I'm unaware the Miscelleny has received any critical treatment (such
      > as translating the Latin for us ignorant folk). I'll post this on
      > Puritanboard; there are some armchair Latinist there.
      > Sincerely,
      > Chris Coldwell
      > Naphtali Press http://www.naphtali.com
      > The Confessional Presbyterian journal http://www.cpjournal.com
      >

      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"
      > puritanpresbyterian@ wrote:
      > >

      > > Does anyone know where one can get the Latin tanslation(s) for
      > > Gillespie? For example the below from his Miscelleny Questions ch.2 the
      > > last paragraph. Thanks!

    • Chris Coldwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13, 2007
        Edgar
        A friend tried to do a "quickie" but said it needed more attention
        than that; so maybe in a few days. There is a lot of Latin in
        Gillespie to be sure; English Popish Ceremonies had more than its fair
        share, and I went through a lot of trouble to have it translated in
        the years before it was published in 1992. I haven't worked that much
        with the Miscelleny text, except for extracts and research on
        Gillespie authorship of Wholesome Severity.