Gillespie's Latin anyone?

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007

      Does anyone know where one can get the Latin tanslation(s) for Gillespie?  For example the below from his Miscelleny Questions ch.2 the last paragraph.  Thanks!

      I conclude with a passage out of the Ecclesiastical Discipline of the Reformed Churches in France, cap. 1, "The silence of the people, none contradicting, shall be taken for an express consent; but in case there arise any contention, and he that is named should be liked by the consistory, and disliked by the people, or by most part of them, his reception is then to be delayed, and report of all to be made unto the conference or provincial synod, to consider as well the justification of him that is named, as of his rejection. And although he that is named should there be justified, yet he is not to be made or given as a pastor to the people against their will, nor to the dislike, displeasure, and discontent of most of them." Nay, the popish French church hath no less zealously stood for their liberty in this point, in so much, that the intrusion of men into ecclesiastical charges by the Pope himself hath been openly opposed, as shall most fully appear to any who shall read the book entitled, Pro libertate Ecclesiæ Gallicanæ Adversus Romanam Aulam Defensio, Parisiensis Curiæ, Ludovico Undecimo Gallorum Regi Quondam Oblata; in which they do assert, against the papal usurpations, the liberty of elections both by clergy and people. Their reasons are these, among others: Cum episcopus ecclesiæ sponsus sit, et matrimonium quoddam spirituale inter ipsum et ecclesiam contrahatur necessario consensus ecclesiæ intervenire debet. And after: Cum episcopus solemniter a collegio eligitur, confirmaturque servata programmatum et inquisitionum forma, eo certe major est populi de eo existimatio, magisque eum venerantur, observant et diligunt populares, quam si ipsis invitis obtrudatur. Ideoque doctrina ejus longe fructuosior est, et ad edificandum multo efficacior. Hinc tametsi Petrus Christi vicarius esset, et caput ecclesiæ; tamen mortuo Juda qui unus apostolorum erat cæteri omnes pariter elegerunt, et sors cecidit super Matthiam, ut in Actis Apostolorum legitur. Lucius Pontifex Romanus vir sanctus, et Martyr, qui ecclesiæ Romanæ præfuit anno 154, ita decrevit: Nullus in ecclesia ubi duo vel tres fuerunt in congregatione, nisi eorum electione canonica, presbyter eligatur, &c. The same thing doth Duranus, De Sacr. Eccles. Minist., lib. 5, cap. 1, confirm, not only from the ancient canons, but from the election of Matthias, Acts 1., and that of the deacons, Acts 6.

    • Chris Coldwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007
        I'm unaware the Miscelleny has received any critical treatment (such
        as translating the Latin for us ignorant folk). I'll post this on
        Puritanboard; there are some armchair Latinist there.
        Sincerely,
        Chris Coldwell
        Naphtali Press http://www.naphtali.com
        The Confessional Presbyterian journal http://www.cpjournal.com

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007

          Chris,

          Thank you!  Let me know what you find out.  There is a lot of Latin with Gillespie and I only studied a semester of Latin, not enough to translate it, I'm afraid.

          Edgar Ibarra

          www.PresbiterianoReformado.org

          visiting Berkshire RPCNA mission work

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Coldwell" <naphtali@...> wrote:

          > I'm unaware the Miscelleny has received any critical treatment (such
          > as translating the Latin for us ignorant folk). I'll post this on
          > Puritanboard; there are some armchair Latinist there.
          > Sincerely,
          > Chris Coldwell
          > Naphtali Press http://www.naphtali.com
          > The Confessional Presbyterian journal http://www.cpjournal.com
          >

          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"
          > puritanpresbyterian@ wrote:
          > >

          > > Does anyone know where one can get the Latin tanslation(s) for
          > > Gillespie? For example the below from his Miscelleny Questions ch.2 the
          > > last paragraph. Thanks!

        • Chris Coldwell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2007
            Edgar
            A friend tried to do a "quickie" but said it needed more attention
            than that; so maybe in a few days. There is a lot of Latin in
            Gillespie to be sure; English Popish Ceremonies had more than its fair
            share, and I went through a lot of trouble to have it translated in
            the years before it was published in 1992. I haven't worked that much
            with the Miscelleny text, except for extracts and research on
            Gillespie authorship of Wholesome Severity.