Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Terms of Communion

  • Glenn Ferrell
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
      By terms of communion, am I to understand:

      1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church?

      2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms?

      One, two or both?

      Glenn

      J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho

      “To suppose that whatever God requireth of us
      that we have the power of ourselves to do,
      is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect.”

      -John Owen (1616-1683)
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
        I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)":  How do you interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League and Covenant?  I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested in hearing what you all think.  Argument #1 - The wording means that we are bound by the SL&C.  Argument #2 - The wording is simply stating that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of our duty to publicly and socially covenant.  This is not indicative of my position, just a question I have given past discussions I have heard.  Thank you.
        ~Samantha

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Ferrell"
          <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

          > By terms of communion, am I to understand:
          >
          > 1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive
          communion in a Covenanter church?

          > 2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that
          did not also affirm all six of these terms?

          > One, two or both?

          Glenn,

          My understanding is that historically the Reformed Presbyterian Church
          explicitly defined their denomination by their terms of communion. In
          the Reformation Principles Exhibited, the Reformed Presbyterians
          "condemn the following errors, and testify against all who maintain
          them" --

          "5. That it is lawful for the Church to be without any terms of
          Christian communion."

          "6. That any person may be admitted to communion, who opposes any of
          the terms of Church-fellowship." [I believe this may correspond to
          your 1) above].

          "7. That occasional communion may be extended to persons who should
          not be received to constant fellowship." [I believe that this
          principle being applied both ways, can correspond in some way to your
          2) above].

          I hope my answer is satisfactory and helpful. Sadly, those who are
          more learned and far better qualified than me to answer these types of
          questions, tend not to do so much anymore -- at least not in this forum.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Salaam Alaykoum
            <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

            > I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on
            this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)": How do you
            interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League
            and Covenant? I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested
            in hearing what you all think. Argument #1 - The wording means that
            we are bound by the SL&C. Argument #2 - The wording is simply stating
            that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of our duty
            to publicly and socially covenant. This is not indicative of my
            position, just a question I have given past discussions I have heard.

            Samantha,

            To me, it's important to identify what you mean by "we" when you say
            "the wording means that WE are bound by the SL&C." Do you mean we as
            Reformed Presbyterians, we as Canadians/Americans/Australians or
            whatever, we as Scots, English, Irish?

            To start, I will say that the 4th term is very clear that the National
            and Solemn League, along with the Auch. Renovation, are indeed
            examples of our duty. That part is clear. It's the part about those
            Covenants being obligatory on the moral person that is the issue. I
            don't think the continued obligation of the nations of England,
            Ireland, and Scotland are in question, so I shall pass over those for
            now.

            What often comes up is whether or not the "daughter nations" of
            England are also of continued obligation. Being an arrogant American
            who has not bothered to study much about the nation of Canada, I would
            be foolish to get too much into particulars about that country.

            But concerning the United States, matters are admittedly complicated
            by the fact that there was a rebellion of several states, which then
            united into a new nation with a new government. I'm frankly undecided
            about whether or not the USA is federally/nationally under obligation
            to the SL&C in any similar sense that England, Ireland and Scotland are.

            I will say this about the National Covenant -- being a covenant of the
            Scottish Nation, and the USA being a daughter of England and not of
            Scotland, is NOT (in my estimation) binding on the USA.

            Concerning the SL&C in relation to the USA, seemingly differing
            aspects are addressed within Reformed Presbyterian literature. The
            Reformed Presbytery did wrote an overture on Covenanting in which they
            pointed out that "The colonies, at the time of entering into the
            Solemn League and Covenant, were an integral part of the British
            nation. They held their lands under the crown, and were governed by
            deputies of the throne, whom they acknowledged as their governors" and
            that the Colonists insisted upon their rights as British citizens.
            This is something to consider... and it speaks of what the Colonies
            SHOULD HAVE DONE in regard to the Covenants of the mother land.

            However, I also find that Samuel Wylie in the great work The Two Sons
            of Oil puts forth several reasons why Reformed Presbyterians cannot be
            loyal to the United States government -- rather than arguing that "the
            USA is a covenant breaking nation that ought not to be countenanced,"
            he argues more along the lines that we Reformed Presbyterians (at that
            time, still profoundly Scottish in nationality, btw) are obligated to
            covenants that do not allow for us to be loyal to anything against
            those covenants.

            Maybe I'm not helping much. All of this is to say that I think we as
            Reformed Presbyterians ought to view Term #4 to certainly mean that
            Covenanting is a gospel ordinance, that the National and Solemn League
            and Covenant are great examples of Covenanting (as is the Renovation),
            and that those who were represented in the taking of the Covenant are
            still bound by it. I believe this means the nations of England,
            Ireland, and Scotland. I believe it means we as RP's (so far as it
            concerns those duties not circumstantial to the British Isles). I
            believe it means Scottish immigrants, English, Irish immigrants
            (again, so long as this is understood as relating to those obligations
            not unique to the British Isles). Whether or not it means the USA as
            a national entity, you may get a different answer from me two days in
            a row.

            gmw.
          • truepresbyterian
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
              Dear Mr. Ferrell,

              As for number 1: "One must affirm all six of these before he is
              allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church." This is implied
              by what is meant. The word "Communion" can refer to an ecclesiastical
              communion, that is, a church body; or it can refer to the Lord's
              Supper. The Terms of Communion are conditions for joining and
              remaining part of the Communion. Consequently, they are also
              conditions for taking part in Communion. What the Lord's Supper
              signifies is more important than the Lord's Supper itself. It would
              only be legalistic hypocrisy if we guarded a ceremony more than we
              guarded the reality it signifies.

              As for number 2: "A Covenanter would not receive communion in a
              congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms."
              Incorrect. It does mean that a Covenanter will not receive communion
              or re-unite in communion with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church
              (RPCNA, etc.) until it returns to the original RP Terms of Communion.
              Until then such "Reformed Presbyterian" Churches are guilty of
              backsliding and defection. We will not join them in that course. But
              we will receive communion in any congregation with which we can join
              in membership as part of their ecclesiastical community.

              We will receive communion in any faithful, scriptural church, teaching
              true doctrine, practicing true worship, excercising biblical
              discipline (which will affect their Terms of Communion.) We do not
              pretend that the deed at Auchensaugh, done by a small, (but faithful,)
              fellowship of Christians, of itself obliges anyone outside that
              communion. But note that our Terms of Communion only require that one
              recognize that the Renovation was "agreeable to the word of God." We
              would expect other faithful Presbyterians to agree to this if they
              examined the deed. And as for the Covenants, we do not imagine that
              they oblige any outside the ecclesiastical and civil bodies, as well
              as private families and individuals represented by them. A faithful
              Church could form without any knowledge of them. But, for those civil
              and ecclesiastic bodies, and families and individuals, who are bound,
              we have a duty to prosecute the ends of these Covenants wherever we
              are. If joining a Church would mean violating these Covenants, then
              the rule against occasional hearing necessitates that we abstain from
              using any ministerial ordinances from such ecclesiastical communions.

              Of course, the practical realities are, that there is no
              non-Reformed-Presbyterian church that any Covenanter has ever seen
              which adheres to such principles and practices as Covenanters can
              approve. And while hypothetical situations can be proposed where a
              Church might take existence on a footing that is Scriptural, in the
              Covenanter sense, and yet historically unrelated to the Covenanter
              Church of Scotland, certain realities lead us away from expecting
              this. For one thing, (as I recently said to someone else,) true
              Christians love Church history. If someone comes to believe in the
              regulative principle of worship, and the duty of dissenting from the
              authority of the US and other "governments" as having only the "power"
              and "authority" mentioned in Rev. 13.2 (and not that in Rom. 13,) then
              that person is going to want to know about the other Christians in
              history who agreed with him. We expect therefore that the faithful
              Christians and pastors scattered here and there, who are by God's
              grace brought to believe the truths of the Reformation, will seek
              association with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church, and find therein
              standards of doctrine and practice that they can approve.

              If they can draft a Confession of Faith better than the Westminster
              Confession, we will be glad to see it in a list of Terms of Communion.
              Perhaps some people think there are better Confessions. At this point
              however, Covenanters are not persuaded that the world has ever seen a
              better Confession. But we will be as happy as anyone else when that
              day comes.

              So, in summary, to answer your questions:

              Technically:
              1. Yes, and it means something more general too.
              2. No.

              Practically:
              1. Yes.
              2. Yes, for now.

              I hope these considerations are helpful to you, and to other well
              meaning Covenanters who may have been misled about some of these things.

              True Presbyterian

              covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com<mailto:covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com>

              > Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:08 PM
              > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Terms of Communion
              >

              > Sure thing, Glenn.
              >
              > The Six Terms of Communion:
              >
              > 1. An acknowledgment of the Old and New Testament to be the word
              of God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

              > 2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith,
              and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and
              founded upon, the Scriptures.

              > 3. That presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are
              alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect model
              of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of Government and
              Directory For Worship, adopted by the Church of Scotland in the Second
              Reformation.

              > 4. That public, social covenanting, is an ordinance of God,
              obligatory on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the
              National Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this
              divine institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation
              upon the moral person; and in consistency with this—that the
              Renovation of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, 1712, was agreeable to
              the word of God.

              > 5. An approbation of the faithful contendings of the martyrs of
              Jesus, especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy,
              Malignancy and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian
              tolerations and persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial
              Testimony emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761,
              and adopted by this church, with supplements; as containing a noble
              example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and in
              testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions of
              either churches or states.

              > 6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Savior, by walking
              in all his commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

              > gmw.
              >
              > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
              >
              > I know they may be found online. However, for discussion sake,
              could one of you post the six terms of communion used by Covenanters?

              > Glenn
              >
              > ________________________________________________________ J.
              Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise,
              Idaho ________________________________________________________
              > "To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have the
              power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus
              Christ of none effect." -John Owen (1616-1683)

            • Whit R
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 15, 2007
                My interpretatio of the 4th Term of Communion is that we are to bound
                to obey God through the Scriptural principles of Covenant and that it
                is binding upon the Three Kingdoms and their current and former
                colonies. Since it is a Scirptural Covenant, then no one except God
                can annul or release obligation to the Covenant (Gal. 3:14-18). In
                short, Argument #1 moreso although Argument #2 also applies since
                covenanting is a solemn duty.

                Whit
                <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

                > I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on
                this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)": How do you
                interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League
                and Covenant? I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested
                in hearing what you all think. Argument #1 - The wording means that
                we are bound by the SL&C. Argument #2 - The wording is simply
                stating that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of
                our duty to publicly and socially covenant. This is not indicative
                of my position, just a question I have given past discussions I have
                heard. Thank you.
                > ~Samantha

                align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
                > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                > font-weight:bold;}
                > #ygrp-vital a {
                > text-decoration:none;}
                >
                > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                > text-decoration:underline;}
                >
                > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                > padding:8px 0;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                size:100%;line-height:122%;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                > text-decoration:none;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                > text-decoration:underline;}
                > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                > margin:0;}
                > o {font-size:0;}
                > .MsoNormal {
                > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                > #ygrp-text tt{
                > font-size:120%;}
                > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                > .replbq {margin:4;}
                > -->
                >

                > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving
                junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
                http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca