Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Terms of Communion

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
      Sure thing, Glenn.

      The Six Terms of Communion:

      1. An acknowledgment of the Old and New Testament to be the word of God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

      2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith, and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and founded upon, the Scriptures.

      3. That presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect model of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of Government and Directory For Worship, adopted by the Church of Scotland in the Second Reformation.

      4. That public, social covenanting, is an ordinance of God, obligatory on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the National Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this divine institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation upon the moral person; and in consistency with this—that the Renovation of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, 1712, was agreeable to the word of God.

      5. An approbation of the faithful contendings of the martyrs of Jesus, especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy, Malignancy and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian tolerations and persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial Testimony emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761, and adopted by this church, with supplements; as containing a noble example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and in testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions of either churches or states.

      6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Savior, by walking in all his commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

      gmw.

      Glenn Ferrell wrote:

      I know they may be found online.  However, for discussion sake, could one of you post the six terms of communion used by Covenanters?

      Glenn

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________ J. Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise, Idaho ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________
      “To suppose that whatever God requireth of us  that we have the power of ourselves to do,  is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect.”            -John Owen (1616-1683) ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ________

    • Glenn Ferrell
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
        By terms of communion, am I to understand:

        1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church?

        2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms?

        One, two or both?

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
          I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)":  How do you interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League and Covenant?  I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested in hearing what you all think.  Argument #1 - The wording means that we are bound by the SL&C.  Argument #2 - The wording is simply stating that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of our duty to publicly and socially covenant.  This is not indicative of my position, just a question I have given past discussions I have heard.  Thank you.
          ~Samantha

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Ferrell"
            <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

            > By terms of communion, am I to understand:
            >
            > 1) One must affirm all six of these before he is allowed to receive
            communion in a Covenanter church?

            > 2) A Covenanter would not receive communion in a congregation that
            did not also affirm all six of these terms?

            > One, two or both?

            Glenn,

            My understanding is that historically the Reformed Presbyterian Church
            explicitly defined their denomination by their terms of communion. In
            the Reformation Principles Exhibited, the Reformed Presbyterians
            "condemn the following errors, and testify against all who maintain
            them" --

            "5. That it is lawful for the Church to be without any terms of
            Christian communion."

            "6. That any person may be admitted to communion, who opposes any of
            the terms of Church-fellowship." [I believe this may correspond to
            your 1) above].

            "7. That occasional communion may be extended to persons who should
            not be received to constant fellowship." [I believe that this
            principle being applied both ways, can correspond in some way to your
            2) above].

            I hope my answer is satisfactory and helpful. Sadly, those who are
            more learned and far better qualified than me to answer these types of
            questions, tend not to do so much anymore -- at least not in this forum.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Salaam Alaykoum
              <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

              > I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on
              this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)": How do you
              interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League
              and Covenant? I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested
              in hearing what you all think. Argument #1 - The wording means that
              we are bound by the SL&C. Argument #2 - The wording is simply stating
              that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of our duty
              to publicly and socially covenant. This is not indicative of my
              position, just a question I have given past discussions I have heard.

              Samantha,

              To me, it's important to identify what you mean by "we" when you say
              "the wording means that WE are bound by the SL&C." Do you mean we as
              Reformed Presbyterians, we as Canadians/Americans/Australians or
              whatever, we as Scots, English, Irish?

              To start, I will say that the 4th term is very clear that the National
              and Solemn League, along with the Auch. Renovation, are indeed
              examples of our duty. That part is clear. It's the part about those
              Covenants being obligatory on the moral person that is the issue. I
              don't think the continued obligation of the nations of England,
              Ireland, and Scotland are in question, so I shall pass over those for
              now.

              What often comes up is whether or not the "daughter nations" of
              England are also of continued obligation. Being an arrogant American
              who has not bothered to study much about the nation of Canada, I would
              be foolish to get too much into particulars about that country.

              But concerning the United States, matters are admittedly complicated
              by the fact that there was a rebellion of several states, which then
              united into a new nation with a new government. I'm frankly undecided
              about whether or not the USA is federally/nationally under obligation
              to the SL&C in any similar sense that England, Ireland and Scotland are.

              I will say this about the National Covenant -- being a covenant of the
              Scottish Nation, and the USA being a daughter of England and not of
              Scotland, is NOT (in my estimation) binding on the USA.

              Concerning the SL&C in relation to the USA, seemingly differing
              aspects are addressed within Reformed Presbyterian literature. The
              Reformed Presbytery did wrote an overture on Covenanting in which they
              pointed out that "The colonies, at the time of entering into the
              Solemn League and Covenant, were an integral part of the British
              nation. They held their lands under the crown, and were governed by
              deputies of the throne, whom they acknowledged as their governors" and
              that the Colonists insisted upon their rights as British citizens.
              This is something to consider... and it speaks of what the Colonies
              SHOULD HAVE DONE in regard to the Covenants of the mother land.

              However, I also find that Samuel Wylie in the great work The Two Sons
              of Oil puts forth several reasons why Reformed Presbyterians cannot be
              loyal to the United States government -- rather than arguing that "the
              USA is a covenant breaking nation that ought not to be countenanced,"
              he argues more along the lines that we Reformed Presbyterians (at that
              time, still profoundly Scottish in nationality, btw) are obligated to
              covenants that do not allow for us to be loyal to anything against
              those covenants.

              Maybe I'm not helping much. All of this is to say that I think we as
              Reformed Presbyterians ought to view Term #4 to certainly mean that
              Covenanting is a gospel ordinance, that the National and Solemn League
              and Covenant are great examples of Covenanting (as is the Renovation),
              and that those who were represented in the taking of the Covenant are
              still bound by it. I believe this means the nations of England,
              Ireland, and Scotland. I believe it means we as RP's (so far as it
              concerns those duties not circumstantial to the British Isles). I
              believe it means Scottish immigrants, English, Irish immigrants
              (again, so long as this is understood as relating to those obligations
              not unique to the British Isles). Whether or not it means the USA as
              a national entity, you may get a different answer from me two days in
              a row.

              gmw.
            • truepresbyterian
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
                Dear Mr. Ferrell,

                As for number 1: "One must affirm all six of these before he is
                allowed to receive communion in a Covenanter church." This is implied
                by what is meant. The word "Communion" can refer to an ecclesiastical
                communion, that is, a church body; or it can refer to the Lord's
                Supper. The Terms of Communion are conditions for joining and
                remaining part of the Communion. Consequently, they are also
                conditions for taking part in Communion. What the Lord's Supper
                signifies is more important than the Lord's Supper itself. It would
                only be legalistic hypocrisy if we guarded a ceremony more than we
                guarded the reality it signifies.

                As for number 2: "A Covenanter would not receive communion in a
                congregation that did not also affirm all six of these terms."
                Incorrect. It does mean that a Covenanter will not receive communion
                or re-unite in communion with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church
                (RPCNA, etc.) until it returns to the original RP Terms of Communion.
                Until then such "Reformed Presbyterian" Churches are guilty of
                backsliding and defection. We will not join them in that course. But
                we will receive communion in any congregation with which we can join
                in membership as part of their ecclesiastical community.

                We will receive communion in any faithful, scriptural church, teaching
                true doctrine, practicing true worship, excercising biblical
                discipline (which will affect their Terms of Communion.) We do not
                pretend that the deed at Auchensaugh, done by a small, (but faithful,)
                fellowship of Christians, of itself obliges anyone outside that
                communion. But note that our Terms of Communion only require that one
                recognize that the Renovation was "agreeable to the word of God." We
                would expect other faithful Presbyterians to agree to this if they
                examined the deed. And as for the Covenants, we do not imagine that
                they oblige any outside the ecclesiastical and civil bodies, as well
                as private families and individuals represented by them. A faithful
                Church could form without any knowledge of them. But, for those civil
                and ecclesiastic bodies, and families and individuals, who are bound,
                we have a duty to prosecute the ends of these Covenants wherever we
                are. If joining a Church would mean violating these Covenants, then
                the rule against occasional hearing necessitates that we abstain from
                using any ministerial ordinances from such ecclesiastical communions.

                Of course, the practical realities are, that there is no
                non-Reformed-Presbyterian church that any Covenanter has ever seen
                which adheres to such principles and practices as Covenanters can
                approve. And while hypothetical situations can be proposed where a
                Church might take existence on a footing that is Scriptural, in the
                Covenanter sense, and yet historically unrelated to the Covenanter
                Church of Scotland, certain realities lead us away from expecting
                this. For one thing, (as I recently said to someone else,) true
                Christians love Church history. If someone comes to believe in the
                regulative principle of worship, and the duty of dissenting from the
                authority of the US and other "governments" as having only the "power"
                and "authority" mentioned in Rev. 13.2 (and not that in Rom. 13,) then
                that person is going to want to know about the other Christians in
                history who agreed with him. We expect therefore that the faithful
                Christians and pastors scattered here and there, who are by God's
                grace brought to believe the truths of the Reformation, will seek
                association with the "Reformed Presbyterian" church, and find therein
                standards of doctrine and practice that they can approve.

                If they can draft a Confession of Faith better than the Westminster
                Confession, we will be glad to see it in a list of Terms of Communion.
                Perhaps some people think there are better Confessions. At this point
                however, Covenanters are not persuaded that the world has ever seen a
                better Confession. But we will be as happy as anyone else when that
                day comes.

                So, in summary, to answer your questions:

                Technically:
                1. Yes, and it means something more general too.
                2. No.

                Practically:
                1. Yes.
                2. Yes, for now.

                I hope these considerations are helpful to you, and to other well
                meaning Covenanters who may have been misled about some of these things.

                True Presbyterian

                covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com<mailto:covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com>

                > Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:08 PM
                > Subject: Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Terms of Communion
                >

                > Sure thing, Glenn.
                >
                > The Six Terms of Communion:
                >
                > 1. An acknowledgment of the Old and New Testament to be the word
                of God, and the alone infallible rule of faith and practice.

                > 2. That the whole doctrine of the Westminster Confession of Faith,
                and the Catechisms, Larger and Shorter, are agreeable unto, and
                founded upon, the Scriptures.

                > 3. That presbyterial Church Government and manner of worship are
                alone of divine right and unalterable; and that the most perfect model
                of these as yet attained, is exhibited in the Form of Government and
                Directory For Worship, adopted by the Church of Scotland in the Second
                Reformation.

                > 4. That public, social covenanting, is an ordinance of God,
                obligatory on churches and nations under the New Testament; that the
                National Covenant and the Solemn League are an exemplification of this
                divine institution; and that these Deeds are of continued obligation
                upon the moral person; and in consistency with this—that the
                Renovation of these Covenants at Auchensaugh, 1712, was agreeable to
                the word of God.

                > 5. An approbation of the faithful contendings of the martyrs of
                Jesus, especially in Scotland, against Paganism, Popery, Prelacy,
                Malignancy and Sectarianism; immoral civil governments; Erastian
                tolerations and persecutions which flow from them; and of the Judicial
                Testimony emitted by the Reformed Presbytery in North Britain, 1761,
                and adopted by this church, with supplements; as containing a noble
                example to be followed, in contending for all divine truth, and in
                testifying against all corruptions embodied in the constitutions of
                either churches or states.

                > 6. Practically adorning the doctrine of God our Savior, by walking
                in all his commandments and ordinances blamelessly.

                > gmw.
                >
                > Glenn Ferrell wrote:
                >
                > I know they may be found online. However, for discussion sake,
                could one of you post the six terms of communion used by Covenanters?

                > Glenn
                >
                > ________________________________________________________ J.
                Glenn Ferrell, Pastor, Sovereign Redeemer Presbyterian Church, Boise,
                Idaho ________________________________________________________
                > "To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have the
                power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus
                Christ of none effect." -John Owen (1616-1683)

              • Whit R
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 15, 2007
                  My interpretatio of the 4th Term of Communion is that we are to bound
                  to obey God through the Scriptural principles of Covenant and that it
                  is binding upon the Three Kingdoms and their current and former
                  colonies. Since it is a Scirptural Covenant, then no one except God
                  can annul or release obligation to the Covenant (Gal. 3:14-18). In
                  short, Argument #1 moreso although Argument #2 also applies since
                  covenanting is a solemn duty.

                  Whit
                  <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

                  > I have a question for those who consider themselves Covenanters on
                  this group BUT are NOT present members of the "RPNA(GM)": How do you
                  interpret the 4th term of communion with regard to the Solemn League
                  and Covenant? I've heard 2 opposing arguments and I'd be interested
                  in hearing what you all think. Argument #1 - The wording means that
                  we are bound by the SL&C. Argument #2 - The wording is simply
                  stating that the SL&C and its following renovations are examples of
                  our duty to publicly and socially covenant. This is not indicative
                  of my position, just a question I have given past discussions I have
                  heard. Thank you.
                  > ~Samantha

                  align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
                  > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  > font-weight:bold;}
                  > #ygrp-vital a {
                  > text-decoration:none;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  > text-decoration:underline;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  > padding:8px 0;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  size:100%;line-height:122%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  > text-decoration:none;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  > text-decoration:underline;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  > margin:0;}
                  > o {font-size:0;}
                  > .MsoNormal {
                  > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  > #ygrp-text tt{
                  > font-size:120%;}
                  > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  > .replbq {margin:4;}
                  > -->
                  >

                  > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving
                  junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail at
                  http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca