major versus minor was:Clarification on Jerry's response to excommunication and

  • nocost2great
    Message 1 of 23 , May 20 7:24 PM
      <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:
      Dee Dee wrote:
      > > I am still of the
      > > opinion that we should not attend unto teaching that leads to
      error.

      Jerry replied:
      > I am (apparently one of the few) who would agree with that
      statement.

      > Some may take it upon themselves to define biblical doctrines and
      > practices as major or minor. I am not qualified to do so. I know
      > that dividing over the color of the carpet is minor. Everything
      else,
      > I defer to the Confession and Larger Catechism as helps.
      >
      > Also, I am very concerned about calling something that faithful
      > Christians were once tortured and slaughtered over as
      being "minor,"
      > even if a couple hundred years have gone by.

      Dee Dee replies:

      Please don't think that I was suggesting that we ditch any of the
      doctrines that delineate us as covenanters! One of my main unspoken
      concerns over the years is that we have not united with others (like
      you) who hold to the exact same terms of communion. Now in
      hindsight, I realize that our terms of communion were never static -
      and always subject to change based on the rulings of the elders. I
      was blind to that for many years! However, I guess one of the things
      that has always bugged me is that it was said we were not united
      because of headcoverings. I see now that it is much more than that.
      So, would headcoverings be 'minor'? Would you worship at a church
      where they practiced the RPW with the same understanding you have,
      and they had the same beliefs as far as government and doctrine, but
      they didn't insist that the women wear dresses only, or they didn't
      dictate that headcoverings be worn... or call all movies and plays
      unlawful, etc. These, to me, are minors. In fact, I have long
      questioned (in my heart) the degree of worldliness that is
      acceptable in the RPNA(GM) but didn't feel it was an issue to
      separate over (although it did cause some problems with my teenagers
      comparing our rules to the rules of others, particularly elder
      families.)
      I am rethinking the idea that God is going to bring in the millenium
      with a bride that is completely united on all issues so that there
      are no disagreements or compromises. I am not saying that I think
      that we will lower the common denominator so that we can be united,
      but surely we can agree to disagree on *some* things and still
      commune with one another around the Lord's table.

      Standing Strong for the Truth,

      Dee Dee
      Message 2 of 23 , May 23 6:31 AM
        Greetings Dee Dee,

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "nocost2great"
        <manna4free@...> wrote:

        > Please don't think that I was suggesting that we ditch any of the
        > doctrines that delineate us as covenanters!

        Good, but I understand that not everyone who has been excommunicated
        is of your opinion anymore. Which brings something up...

        IF YOU ARE REMAIN COVENANTER, I MEAN "THE SIX TERMS OF COMMUNION" TYPE
        OF REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN, AND HAVE EITHER BEEN EXCOMMUNICATED OR
        OTHERWISE ARE UNABLE TO JOIN WITH OTHER CONGREGATIONS IN GOOD
        CONSCIENCE, PLEASE EMAIL ME PRIVATELY -- ragingcalvinist@...
        -- I have an idea I want to talk about.

        > However, I guess one of the things
        > that has always bugged me is that it was said we were not united
        > because of headcoverings. I see now that it is much more than that.
        > So, would headcoverings be 'minor'? Would you worship at a church
        > where they practiced the RPW with the same understanding you have,
        > and they had the same beliefs as far as government and doctrine, but
        > they didn't insist that the women wear dresses only, or they didn't
        > dictate that headcoverings be worn... or call all movies and plays
        > unlawful, etc. These, to me, are minors.

        I can only speak of my own opinion on this matter. My wife covers her
        head, and does so because we believe the Bible requires it. She will
        not be uncovering her head for any man but me. A church that REQUIRES
        her to go uncovered (i.e. the RPNA), cannot be an option for us. It
        has become ~major~ in such a case -- requiring us to do that which we
        believe to be sin. But if there were an existing church whose
        Confession of Faith, Terms of Communion, etc., we were in agreement
        with, except that they allowed woman to go with their heads uncovered,
        I do not think this would be enough to keep me from going there. My
        wife would continue to cover her head, but in such a case as this it
        would not be ~major~ to me.

        As far as the movies, plays, and other worldly things, I wish I were
        more free from the stains of this world than I am. But it may
        interest you to see what the REAL Reformed Presbytery said on this
        topic: http://tinyurl.com/3exd22

        I would wish, for my own sake, for the sake of my family, and for the
        sake of other Christians, that churches would have a more united view
        against worldliness. I've attended sermons that have referenced
        movies as illustrations, I've read sermons that were pretty much based
        on sermons, and I've heard it suggested by some that attending movies
        is actually a Christian thing to do as it exposes us to the thinking
        of the world (I guess this is to assist our apologetics) -- in such
        cases, the issues is more ~major~. But, if, again, we find that
        church with which were are in complete agreement, yet they are not so
        firmly warning against theater attendance as much as they ought, I
        don't believe this alone would prevent my attendance/membership... in
        such a case it would be more of a ~minor~ to me.

        > In fact, I have long
        > questioned (in my heart) the degree of worldliness that is
        > acceptable in the RPNA(GM) but didn't feel it was an issue to
        > separate over (although it did cause some problems with my teenagers
        > comparing our rules to the rules of others, particularly elder
        > families.)

        This is another issue -- when the worldliness becomes so widespread
        among the children, then those worldy children become the kind of kids
        that I don't want my kids hanging around with too much, then this
        causes all kinds of problems.

        > I am rethinking the idea that God is going to bring in the millenium
        > with a bride that is completely united on all issues so that there
        > are no disagreements or compromises.

        Perhaps not. But as far as issues of doctrine, the "whatsoever I have
        commanded thee" that Christ spoke of, we are commanded "Now I beseech
        you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak
        the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye
        be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same
        judgment." With weakness and infirmity, we are to forbear. With
        honest error, we are to correct and educate. With anti-scriptural and
        un-scriptural doctrine obstinately held, we are to be firm and
        uncompromising.

        gmw.
      • Tim Cunningham
        Message 3 of 23 , May 24 4:49 PM
          <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "nocost2great"
          > <manna4free@> wrote:
          >
          > > Please don't think that I was suggesting that we ditch any of the
          > > doctrines that delineate us as covenanters!
          >
          > Good, but I understand that not everyone who has been excommunicated
          > is of your opinion anymore. Which brings something up...
          >
          > IF YOU ARE REMAIN COVENANTER, I MEAN "THE SIX TERMS OF COMMUNION"
          TYPE
          > OF REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN, AND HAVE EITHER BEEN EXCOMMUNICATED OR
          > OTHERWISE ARE UNABLE TO JOIN WITH OTHER CONGREGATIONS IN GOOD
          > CONSCIENCE, PLEASE EMAIL ME PRIVATELY -- ragingcalvinist@...
          > -- I have an idea I want to talk about.

          Tim-Hi Gerry:
          Whatever your idea is, I hope it will be a blessing to all the
          unjustly X'd.

          > I can only speak of my own opinion on this matter. My wife covers
          her
          > head, and does so because we believe the Bible requires it. She
          will
          > not be uncovering her head for any man but me.

          Tim-Granted that I am not from a covie background and so may not know
          how the relevant passage of 1 Cor. 11 has been interpreted in that
          tradition, but this appears to imply that your wife wears a head
          covering at all times. Am I reading you correctly? If I am, I wonder
          about something. As I read the relevant passage, Paul seems to be
          mandating covering in the worship service of the church not as
          something to be done at all times. Is there a reason that your wife
          is extending the practice beyond church walls?

          Just curious
          Tim

          Message 4 of 23 , May 24 9:26 PM
            Hi Tim,

            I've never been one to want to argue this subject, but I will not have
            my friend be curious, so I will explain my position with some help
            from Mr. Calvin.

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Cunningham"
            <timmopussycat@...> wrote:
            > Tim-Granted that I am not from a covie background and so may not know
            > how the relevant passage of 1 Cor. 11 has been interpreted in that
            > tradition,

            There is nothing distinctly Covenanter about our (my wife's and my)
            position on headcoverings.

            > but this appears to imply that your wife wears a head
            > covering at all times.

            Not at all times. I'm not trying to be funny, but I've been asked
            whether or not I'm for headcoverings in the shower, in bed, moping
            around the house in our pajamas, etc. As Calvin notes in his sermons
            on 1 Corinthians, "St. Paul is not addressing what may take place at
            home; for, if a woman combs her hair, she will surely have it
            uncovered then, but she also retires to her place of privacy. So, St.
            Paul is not discussing what may happen with individuals at home."
            Again, Calvin notes that, "should a woman require to make such haste
            in assisting a neighbor that she has not time to cover her head, she
            sins not in running out with her head uncovered" [Institutes Book IV,
            Chapter 10, Sec. 31]. So, no, not at all times.

            > As I read the relevant passage, Paul seems to be
            > mandating covering in the worship service of the church not as
            > something to be done at all times. Is there a reason that your wife
            > is extending the practice beyond church walls?

            If one assumes the woman is uncovered coming in to worship, then the
            direction seems to be that the woman put on the covering during
            worship. However, if one assumes that the woman is already covered
            coming in to worship, then the direction seems to be that the woman
            ought not to take it off during worship.

            Calvin interprets Paul as saying "that women should not go out in
            public with uncovered heads" (Institutes Book IV, Chapter 10, sec. 29).

            Without going into the specifics of 1 Cor. 11, of the sign of
            subjection, the respect to the angels, the headship and glory
            arguments (none of which necessarily cease outside of the walls of a
            church building), there are some other issues involved with the
            headcovering that factor into why my wife wears one whenever she goes
            in public --

            1. The difference between men and women:

            "They forget their nature: for women ought to be modest. If there be
            no shame, but that they will needs be out of order: it is a very
            beastliness. That is the effect of God's intent in saying that men
            ought not to put on women's apparel, nor women ought not to be clothed
            in men's apparel: For it is good reason that there should be a
            difference between men and women. And although there were no law
            written, doth not even nature teach it us? And when Paul (1 Cor.
            11.5,) telleth us that women must come to the Church with their heads
            covered & not with their hair about their ears: he sheweth the same
            thing. What saith he? have we need to speak to you of such things? For
            if a woman were polled , durst she shew her head abroad? A man may
            well be bold to shew his head bare, though he be polled: and shall a
            woman do so too? That were a shame, everybody would mock at her, and
            she should be fain to hide her head. Now since ye know this without
            any scripture or word written: do ye not see how God hath shown as it
            were a seed of modesty in you, to the intent that every man should
            have a regard to that which is comely for him? So then, let us mark
            that here God intended to shew us that everybody's attiring of
            themselves ought to be such, as there may be a difference between men
            and women." -Calvin's sermon on Deut. 22:5-8.

            2. The immodesty and impropriety of my wife showing you her long
            beautiful blonde hair:

            "Men use not to hang out a sign at a tavern, unless they meant men
            should come in who list. And while women deck and trim themselves
            after this sort, to draw men's eyes to them, and to have men stand
            gazing at them, what is this else but a spreading out of their nets? &
            therefore it is as much as if they kept open tavern of their own
            bodies. True it is, that all of them will not do so: but this is the
            end of their prancking, and it is not almost to be found, but that
            such gorgeous deckings, and such braveries do always bear one smack of
            bawdery with them although whoredom do not always follow. So then let
            us mark well, when Paul speaketh of this, shamefastness and modesty,
            that in correcting one fault he taketh away all those superfluities
            wherewith women are so set on fire, that they can keep no measure in
            them, & therefore it booteth not now, to reckon them up by piecemeal.
            And if this affection and perverse desire were well purged, no doubt
            women would deck themselves modestly, and we should see no more of
            these disguisings. See there cometh out a woman like a painted
            idol;—all our age is full of colours, there is nothing but laying on
            of gold, perukes and false hairs, and such like: again, we see such
            pomp, and bravery, that when such a Diana cometh forth, we may well
            judge and think that she is at defiance with all shame, with all
            modesty, with all honesty, as a stews, & strumpet, ready to say on
            this wise: 'I will show myself here as a salt bitch, I will be
            impudent and shameless, and show my filthiness to all the world.' We
            should I say, see no more of these things. If women observe this rule
            of modesty, they would not be so bespangled with gold as they are,
            they would not have their heads uncovered as now they have: to be
            short, they would not so exceed measure in gorgeousness as they do,
            wherein they do but fight against modesty & honesty, which Paul
            speaketh of in this place, if all this (as I said) were cut off." --
            Calvin's Sermon on 1 Timothy 2:9-11.

            And the more often quoted (and seemingly prophetic), "So if women are
            thus permitted to have their heads uncovered and to show their hair,
            they will eventually be allowed to expose their entire breasts, and
            they will come to make their exhibitions as if it were a tavern show;
            they will become so brazen that modesty and shame will be no more; in
            short they will forget the duty of nature... So, when it is
            permissible for the women to uncover their heads, one will say, 'Well,
            what harm in uncovering the stomach also?' And then after that one
            will plead something else: 'Now if the women go bareheaded, why not
            also this and that?' Then the men, for their part, will break loose
            too. In short, there will be no decency left, unless people contain
            themselves and respect what is proper and fitting, so as not to go
            headlong overboard." -- Calvin's Sermon on 1 Corinthians 11:2-3.

            Again, I do not intend to argue these points. I only wanted to let
            you know what the points are -- not just 1 Cor. 11 and worship, but
            also the differences in apparel for men and women, and modesty.

            gmw.
          • Tim Cunningham
            Message 5 of 23 , May 25 7:31 AM
              Hi Gerry

              Thanks for answering. I to don't intend to argue this one. As I said,
              I was just curious.
              Tim

              <ragingcalvinist@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > they will become so brazen that modesty and shame will be no more;
              in
              > short they will forget the duty of nature... So, when it is
              > permissible for the women to uncover their heads, one will
              say, 'Well,
              > what harm in uncovering the stomach also?' And then after that one
              > will plead something else: 'Now if the women go bareheaded, why not
              > also this and that?' Then the men, for their part, will break loose
              > too. In short, there will be no decency left, unless people contain
              > themselves and respect what is proper and fitting, so as not to go
              > headlong overboard." -- Calvin's Sermon on 1 Corinthians 11:2-3.
              >
              > Again, I do not intend to argue these points. I only wanted to let
              > you know what the points are -- not just 1 Cor. 11 and worship, but
              > also the differences in apparel for men and women, and modesty.

            • Willena Flewelling
              Message 6 of 23 , May 30 11:17 PM
                Jerry wrote:

                > Please don't think that I was suggesting that we ditch any of the
                doctrines that delineate us as covenanters!

                Good, but I understand that not everyone who has been excommunicated is of your opinion anymore. Which brings something up...

                IF YOU ARE REMAIN COVENANTER, I MEAN "THE SIX TERMS OF COMMUNION" TYPE OF REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN, AND HAVE EITHER BEEN EXCOMMUNICATED OR OTHERWISE ARE UNABLE TO JOIN WITH OTHER CONGREGATIONS IN GOOD CONSCIENCE, PLEASE EMAIL ME PRIVATELY -- ragingcalvinist@ verizon.net -- I have an idea I want to talk about.

                Tim wrote:

                Hi Gerry:
                Whatever your idea is, I hope it will be a blessing to all the unjustly X'd.

                And I sincerely hope so too, Jerry. I can only speak for myself and not others who have been excommunicated, but as one who has made some decisions recently that would likely disappoint you deeply, I can say that none of those decisions were easy ones. With all my heart I wish it were possible for me to stand visibly and unwaveringly on the covenanter doctrines, which I still own. But the last two years have been very difficult in many ways, and losing membership in the RPNA was a deeper blow with far greater repercussions than I thought possible. The battle did not end with my excommunication, but is ongoing, with one daughter still a member in good standing, and confusion tearing at some of my other children. I am so thankful that none of them are having problems with assurance of salvation, but it could come to that.

                Excommunication and rejection by the elders of the RPNA has placed me in an even more difficult and isolated position than most of you who worship alone, for not only am I without any elder or pastoral oversight at all, but I am without a spiritual leader in my home. I have spent the past eleven years alienated from my husband. I gave up everything we had in that realm, as a wedge was driven between us. And for what? To be cast out of the visible church of Christ? I don't have it in me to fight any more, or to stand alone.

                Jerry, your email confuses me, because I am ashamed of myself for not having the strength to stand alone. It doesn't bother me to stand against the elders or my daughter, for I believe they are in the wrong and are the ones who have wronged us. But you and Deejay and a number of others stand alone. You have not allowed your circumstances to dictate your actions. You know what you believe, and you are standing on it in the face of oppositon from all sides. I feel as if I have let you all down by apparently ditching some of our covenanter doctrines. But if I adhere strictly to the six terms of communion as we have been led to understand them, I stand alone. Responsible for seven children, three of whom are still under my care, with no husband. I have already spent twelve years doing what "true" covenanters think I should do, and I am no longer sure it is the right thing. With children looking up to me, I don't want to make any more mistakes. We need fellowship. We need accountability. We need guidance outside of our family.

                We can no longer afford to drive the family to the city and back each week to worship with our excommunicated brethren. To worship at home alone would mean my husband worshipping with us, and therefore taking the lead, which would be no different from worshipping with others of conflicting beliefs. And that is only one small part of my dilemma, which I cannot begin to express here. Let it suffice to say the months since my excommunication have been ones of deep struggles, not only in myself but in my children, and the struggles are far from over. There are brick walls everywhere I turn. We don't even have the option of a good Reformed church within reasonable driving distance. I am still asking the question... when will it end? The confusion, the battering, the uncertainty, the not knowing???

                I said when I started attending a local church with my husband and children, that God knows my heart, and my desire to glorify and enjoy Him... and I can trust Him not to strike me down dead or otherwise judge me harshly, but to show me in His loving ways, if I am doing wrong. It has been seven weeks now. My husband is happy and taking over his rightful role as head and leader in our home. My children are happy, with the exception of a few. All are seeking Him in ways we haven't done for a long time. I don't see my doubts at this point, as being His still small voice. I do see my husband's peace and contentment as His still small voice. I look forward to the day when I am happy and content too, knowing with my whole heart in agreement that I am truly walking in the way He has set before me.

                My story is my own, and I speak for no one else. But I ask all of you who are able to stand on your covenanter convictions, please PLEASE not to j
                udge the rest of us too harshly. No one knows the struggles each one is going through, or the way the Lord is leading each of us. I pray that all of us will learn to do what we understand the scriptures to be telling us to do, without judging others when they come to a different understanding... even if we supposedly "know better."

                Willena

              • Heart Aflame
                Message 7 of 23 , May 31 3:10 AM

                  Hi Willena,

                  (I made a more personal comment to this at Come out)  but as I see I got an honourable mention, (at Jerry’s group!!) I just wanted to say, I for one think no less of you for the decisions you’ve made.

                  Like yourself my circumstances are pretty unique in other ways  But being the bloody minded person I am, ;-)  because those who have added to my affliction are not of Covenanted Reformation principles locally, its made me dig my heels in further, to stand alone and hold to them.  The opposite of your own trouble in that respect. .  But there again, bloody mindedness or not, it was circumstances which dictated, much like yourself.  Of course that’s an edited version, but, it is part of it.

                  ~Deejay

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 5, 2007
                    Dear Susan, Deejay and others who responded privately... I want to thank all of you for your love and support. I did not mean I have felt judged by anyone per se (and that includes you, Jerry)... but it seems to be written into our code as covenanters to be judgmental of anyone who does not agree with us... and for some of us it has become an impossible situation. I very much appreciate all of you.

                    Willena

                    Susan Wilkinson wrote:

                    Dear Willena,

                    Tom and I would like to say that we understand that you are in a very difficult circumstance and we do NOT feel harsh judgment of you at all. In fact, I can think of 2 other women in very difficult circumstances with children to consider and no husbands at all. I think that anyone who wants to judge harshly should be ready with an answer for you as to what you ~should~ do. Personally, Tom and I don’t know what you should do nor do we know what we would do in your circumstances. Our hearts go out to you and we pray that the Lord will sustain you and guide you and unite your family in truth.

                    Susan

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 5, 2007

                      Hi Willena,

                      I agree with what you say in lots of ways, about judging being written into our code in some way.  But, I also think too often, folks fail to remember that when folks hit difficulties or hardships, that there but for the grace of God could be any of them too.  I think lots of folks would do a lot better, if they remembered that, and tried to ponderize or wonder what THEY would do if in similar straits, instead of being judgemental and making a bad situation worse for the person in hardship.  I’m speaking personally here too, so, understand where you are coming from.

                      ~Deejayß-who will still judge bowing down to the popish mass and other similar issues!

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 5, 2007
                        Susan, I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but I'll try to answer.

                        I mean only what I wrote in my original email, which is still at the bottom of this one. Perhaps I should have used the same terminology you did, and said "for some of us it is a very difficult situation." For me it FEELS like an impossible situation in that I can't please everyone... someone on one side or the other or both, is going to think I am being unfaithful no matter what I do. I have even met with criticism for worshipping with my fellow excommunicated brethren who live an hour away, "because they are unfaithful." Like I was not considered to be in the same category as they? Like I was supposed to stay at home and worship alone? And exclude my husband, since he would inevitably expect to be included, and also take the lead? For some of us it's a no win situation.

                        All of the above is from the human standpoint only. I know it is not impossible in God's eyes... He has a solution for each of us... a biblical solution... and we need to ask for His wisdom to see it, and the courage to do it, no matter what anyone in any camp has to say about it.

                        Willena

                        Susan Wilkinson wrote:

                        Dear Willena,

                        Can you help me understand what you mean by, “…for some of us it has become an impossible situation”? I tend to want to gently disagree with that statement, but I’m not sure exactly what you mean so I won’t yet.

                        Susan