I need a good book on...

  • benhartmail
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2007
      Hi all,

      Because I don't study modern history much, I'm sort of clueless as to
      what's out there and what's good. So I need some help locating a
      good book.

      Specifically, I am looking for a good book on the coloniztion of
      America and the lead-up to the Revolutionary War. 'Good' in this
      context would look something like this: a detailed account of the
      political situation in England ca. mid-1600 that specifically targets
      the relation of the crown to the new world; a thorough account of the
      many migrants, both where they came from in Europe and where they
      settled; an account of the legislation imposed on the colonies; any
      interaction the different European kingdoms had with one another as
      it relates to the colonies; a chronicle of the debate that went on in
      America between the Patriots and the revolutionaries. Additionally,
      the book I'm looking for would ideally have lots of direct quotions
      of original source materials like the bills Parliment passed relating
      to the Americas, letters, or treatises, etc. If anyone knows of a
      book that is close to fitting that bill, I'd appreciate it if you'd
      pass along the title.

      It might help to know what question I want this book to answer. In
      short, I want to understand exactly what the political arrangement of
      the Colonies was in relation to Britain: I want to know its extent,
      scope, nature, validity, what 'grounded' it, etc, with the final goal
      being just how the SL&C bound the Colonies.

      Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

      Ben
    • humbled.learner
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2007
        Ben,

        A couple interesting books I recently purchased and am reading are:

        Mecklenburg Signers and Their Neighbors (Lost Tribes of North
        Carolina, Vol III).

        Reminiscences and Memoirs of North Carolina and Eminent North Carolinians

        There is not a lot of what you are seeking on the binding nature of
        the SLC upon the colonies (which they were bound in my opinion) or how
        the Declaration of Independence was the key document to break (or
        unilaterally cancel) the SLC (which it did not in my opinion), but it
        will give you some interesting history from a Presbyterian-Covenanter
        perspective of the period leading up to the Declaration of
        Independence. It will give you some of the key actors who knew the
        consequences of the binding nature of covenants upon posterity,
        especially those covenants where God Himself is invoked (or the
        author) in History.

        There are some other titles I'm trying to locate that were in the
        footnotes, but I would rather not share them as most of the books
        going into circulation around this period are bought immediately after
        release and I'm not sure if it is by libraries, collectors or others.

        Interlibrary loan is always the best source unless you like to collect
        the original books as I do.

        Walt.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "benhartmail"