Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Scriptural Justification for a 3-Week Excommunication Notice

  • Salaam Alaykoum
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6 11:05 PM
      Hello Elder Bump,

      Yes the "RPNA(GM)" still lines out the Psalms.  While they take liberties to change their subordinate standards to suit their fancy (as seen plainly in the case of order of excommunication), this is one thing that they will not change.  There were a number of us who were not in favor of it, but they tenaciously held to the fact that we had to because it was decided by a General Assembly, and it would take another General Assembly to over-rule that ruling.  As I see it, the wording used by the Westminster Divines clearly demonstrates the circumstantial nature of lining out of the Psalms.

      In Christ,
      ~Samantha

      Message 2 of 8 , May 7 7:20 AM
        Susan Wilkinson wrote:
        > I’m confused…what does this question have to do with the post it replied to?

        The reason I asked is the link given by Samantha about the 3 week
        excommunication process. The elders of the RPNA say that the WCF only
        says it is "expedient", so they are not bound and may excommunicate
        without delay or trial.

        The irony is that the language of the lining out is less binding, ie
        "convenient", but they insist upon it as a mark of a true church in
        well-being.
      • Larry Bump
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7 10:32 AM
          Susan Wilkinson wrote:
          > Oh! I see... yes, ironic, isn't it.
          > Thanks for clarifying, Larry.
          >
          > Susan

          You're welcome.
          Are you related to Scott, by the way?

          Larry
        • Larry Bump
          Message 4 of 8 , May 7 10:59 AM
            Susan Wilkinson wrote:
            > I don’t think so… who is that? I’m really Susan Britton. My yahoo
            > account is connected to my email account that that uses my maiden/pen
            > name. Still, I don’t think I’m related to Scott.

            He is a pastor in the RPCNA; I was just wondering.

            Thanks for the reply;
            Larry
          • Whit R
            Message 5 of 8 , May 7 5:28 PM
              Samantha,

              Could you elaborate on the wording on the Westminster Divines? I can
              see lining out the Psalms in certain circumstances (illiteracy or
              sparse Psalters), but I cannot see lining them out if the
              congregation knows the Psalms by heart or have ample access to the
              printed Psalms in Metre. I've visited the FCoS-C and the RPCNA.
              (Pastor Price gave me standing invitation to visit his Albany church.
              However, I don't forsee accepting the invitation.) The RPCNA seems
              not to line out the Psalms but is still a faithful Psalm-singing
              church. The FCoS-C reads all or part of the Psalm and then sings it
              straight through. I too am one who believes that lining out is
              circumstantial.

              FCC&C,
              Whit

              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Salaam Alaykoum
              <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

              > Hello Elder Bump,
              >
              > Yes the "RPNA(GM)" still lines out the Psalms. While they take
              liberties to change their subordinate standards to suit their fancy
              (as seen plainly in the case of order of excommunication), this is
              one thing that they will not change. There were a number of us who
              were not in favor of it, but they tenaciously held to the fact that
              we had to because it was decided by a General Assembly, and it would
              take another General Assembly to over-rule that ruling. As I see it,
              the wording used by the Westminster Divines clearly demonstrates the
              circumstantial nature of lining out of the Psalms.

              > In Christ,
              > ~Samantha

              align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              > font-weight:bold;}
              > #ygrp-vital a {
              > text-decoration:none;}
              >
              > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              > text-decoration:underline;}
              >
              > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              > padding:8px 0;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              size:100%;line-height:122%;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              > text-decoration:none;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              > text-decoration:underline;}
              > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              > margin:0;}
              > o {font-size:0;}
              > .MsoNormal {
              > margin:0 0 0 0;}
              > #ygrp-text tt{
              > font-size:120%;}
              > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              > .replbq {margin:4;}
              > -->
              >

              > Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail. Enjoy RSS
              feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at
              http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

            • Salaam Alaykoum
              Message 6 of 8 , May 13 11:42 AM
                Hi Whit,
                I am not sure what you mean by elaborating on the wording of the Westminster Divines.  I will say that my position of the lining of the Psalms being something circumstantial comes from reading the following from the Directory for the Public Worship of God:

                "Of Singing the Psalms:...But for the present, where many in the congregation cannot read, it is convenient that the minister, or some other fit person appointed by him and the other ruling officers, do read the psalm, line by line, before the singing thereof." (emphasis mine)

                May you all have a wonderful and blessed Lord's Day.

                Your sister in Christ,