Scriptural Justification for a 3-Week Excommunication Notice

  • Salaam Alaykoum
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2007
      Good Morning Everyone,

      The latest from Stan B. (as he is called on reformedveritas...) can be read at

      http://reformedveritas.blogspot.com/2007/05/q5-scriptural-justification-for-three.html

      "Q5.Scriptural Justification for a 3-Week Excommunication Notice"

      I hope that you are enjoying these articles as much as I am.

      Your sister in Christ,
      Samantha

      All new Yahoo! Mail -
    • Larry Bump
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2007
        Salaam Alaykoum wrote:

        > "Q5.Scriptural Justification for a 3-Week Excommunication Notice"

        Does the RPNA still line out the Psalms, and still castigate churches
        that do not?
      • Salaam Alaykoum
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2007
          Hello Elder Bump,

          Yes the "RPNA(GM)" still lines out the Psalms.  While they take liberties to change their subordinate standards to suit their fancy (as seen plainly in the case of order of excommunication), this is one thing that they will not change.  There were a number of us who were not in favor of it, but they tenaciously held to the fact that we had to because it was decided by a General Assembly, and it would take another General Assembly to over-rule that ruling.  As I see it, the wording used by the Westminster Divines clearly demonstrates the circumstantial nature of lining out of the Psalms.

          In Christ,
          ~Samantha

          Message 4 of 8 , May 7, 2007
            Susan Wilkinson wrote:
            > I’m confused…what does this question have to do with the post it replied to?

            The reason I asked is the link given by Samantha about the 3 week
            excommunication process. The elders of the RPNA say that the WCF only
            says it is "expedient", so they are not bound and may excommunicate
            without delay or trial.

            The irony is that the language of the lining out is less binding, ie
            "convenient", but they insist upon it as a mark of a true church in
            well-being.
          • Larry Bump
            Message 5 of 8 , May 7, 2007
              Susan Wilkinson wrote:
              > Oh! I see... yes, ironic, isn't it.
              > Thanks for clarifying, Larry.
              >
              > Susan

              You're welcome.
              Are you related to Scott, by the way?

              Larry
            • Larry Bump
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7, 2007
                Susan Wilkinson wrote:
                > I don’t think so… who is that? I’m really Susan Britton. My yahoo
                > account is connected to my email account that that uses my maiden/pen
                > name. Still, I don’t think I’m related to Scott.

                He is a pastor in the RPCNA; I was just wondering.

                Thanks for the reply;
                Larry
              • Whit R
                Message 7 of 8 , May 7, 2007
                  Samantha,

                  Could you elaborate on the wording on the Westminster Divines? I can
                  see lining out the Psalms in certain circumstances (illiteracy or
                  sparse Psalters), but I cannot see lining them out if the
                  congregation knows the Psalms by heart or have ample access to the
                  printed Psalms in Metre. I've visited the FCoS-C and the RPCNA.
                  (Pastor Price gave me standing invitation to visit his Albany church.
                  However, I don't forsee accepting the invitation.) The RPCNA seems
                  not to line out the Psalms but is still a faithful Psalm-singing
                  church. The FCoS-C reads all or part of the Psalm and then sings it
                  straight through. I too am one who believes that lining out is
                  circumstantial.

                  FCC&C,
                  Whit

                  --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Salaam Alaykoum
                  <allah_who_maana@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Elder Bump,
                  >
                  > Yes the "RPNA(GM)" still lines out the Psalms. While they take
                  liberties to change their subordinate standards to suit their fancy
                  (as seen plainly in the case of order of excommunication), this is
                  one thing that they will not change. There were a number of us who
                  were not in favor of it, but they tenaciously held to the fact that
                  we had to because it was decided by a General Assembly, and it would
                  take another General Assembly to over-rule that ruling. As I see it,
                  the wording used by the Westminster Divines clearly demonstrates the
                  circumstantial nature of lining out of the Psalms.

                  > In Christ,
                  > ~Samantha

                  align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
                  > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  > font-weight:bold;}
                  > #ygrp-vital a {
                  > text-decoration:none;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  > text-decoration:underline;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  > padding:8px 0;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  size:100%;line-height:122%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  > text-decoration:none;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  > text-decoration:underline;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  > margin:0;}
                  > o {font-size:0;}
                  > .MsoNormal {
                  > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  > #ygrp-text tt{
                  > font-size:120%;}
                  > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  > .replbq {margin:4;}
                  > -->
                  >

                  > Get news delivered with the All new Yahoo! Mail. Enjoy RSS
                  feeds right on your Mail page. Start today at
                  http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca

                • Salaam Alaykoum
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 13, 2007
                    Hi Whit,
                    I am not sure what you mean by elaborating on the wording of the Westminster Divines.  I will say that my position of the lining of the Psalms being something circumstantial comes from reading the following from the Directory for the Public Worship of God:

                    "Of Singing the Psalms:...But for the present, where many in the congregation cannot read, it is convenient that the minister, or some other fit person appointed by him and the other ruling officers, do read the psalm, line by line, before the singing thereof." (emphasis mine)

                    May you all have a wonderful and blessed Lord's Day.