Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re:On Covering

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 38 , May 3 9:03 AM
      Katrina Schumacher wrote:
      > /Hello Elder Larry;/
      > //
      > /That seems strange to me as well that folks would be so upset with/
      > /your wife wearing a Covering./

      I was flabbergasted, dumbfounded, gobsmacked, and rather surprised myself.

      > /I have noted that Jewish congregations have different practices with/
      > /the Head Covering as well, some all the women cover their hair totally,/
      > /in others the married women totally cover their hair, but the unmarried/
      > /may only partial cover their hair..... I do not know if this is just in/
      > /public, while during worship or for the whole day./

      The Amish have subtle differences between wives and daughters as well.
      Partly that daughters don't have a husband to be in submission to,
      partly to advertise that one is available for courting.

      > /Over the years, I never had anyone directly to my face object to my/
      > /wearing a head covering until the paper came out from the former RPNA,/
      > /rather I had many women in the different denominations compliment me,/
      > /even expressing admiration, and wished they were as brave in following the/
      > /instructions of the Corinthian passage....one pastor's wife told me that/
      > /she thought the hairstyles that were of the beehive back combed days/
      > /was what caused women to stop wearing Coverings; for their hair
      > became mussed/

      I have heard the same. Vanity is ever a temptation to men and women alike.

      > /My one step-brother had his wife stop wearing a covering, because they
      > found/
      > /that they were becoming prideful and judgmental towards the other families/
      > /who did not practice covering.....they had in their same congregation a
      > fellow/
      > /who hated long hair on men, and in order to humble himself he did not
      > cut his/
      > /hair for a number of years, however now that the Lord has granted to him a/
      > /son, he has finally cut his hair, not wanting his little boy to grow
      > up seeing him/
      > /with the shame of long hair./

      I'm sorry, but this (not you!) is just dumb.
      If I find myself becoming prideful and judgmental towards the other men
      who find themselves in adultery the answer is not to begin an affair
      with another woman until I become humble again.

      Sorry to be blunt, but this is such a bad idea I can't really help it.
      Substitute *any* other sin in the paragraph above and see what I mean.

      Your Brother;
      Larry B.
    • Larry Bump
      Message 38 of 38 , May 3 4:34 PM
        Katrina Schumacher wrote:
        > /Ha, Ha, Ha, Elder Larry; /
        > //
        > /Thanks for the laugh this morning, <grin> I guess I should have
        > commented that I did not/
        > /agree with my Step Brother's actions or that of their friend that
        > punished himself by growing his hair long...

        I couldn't imagine that you did, so that's a relief!
        ;-)

        Larry