[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Secret Society Paper

  • Julian Gress
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2007
      Dear Mrs. Grenon,

      I would like to respond to your post in a thoughtful way, but before
      I can reply to your argument, I must request some clarification, as
      I am not entirely sure what you intend to communicate. At least, it
      is not clear to me what the purpose of your comment is.

      First, are you saying that Christians are only distinguished from
      the rest of the world, and not among themselves? In other words, do
      you say that there is no distinction between Christians or Christian
      churches, as long as they are Christian?

      Second, you say that, "The above sort of thinking is precisely what
      lends itself to this," and I ask, does it lend itself to this (the
      conclusions you refer to) by necessary consequence, or by a tendency
      of a thing to be abused? In the first, it is like Arminianism,
      whose necessary conclusion is a rejection of the Gospel, if followed
      out to all of its implications. In the second, it is more like
      alcohol; although people have a tendency to use it in excess, there
      is nothing wrong with alcohol itself.

      In general, I would like to have a better idea of your claims, your
      arguments, and their implications.

      Once I have a clearer understanding of what you are saying, I can
      then answer your objection to the best of my ability.

      As I recall, we met at the Prince George Conventicle, although many
      that I met there have now left the church. In any case, I will pray
      for your restoration.

      Your brother and servant in the Lord,
      Julian R. Gress

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl Grenon
      <knoxknoxwhosthere@...> wrote:

> [...]
      kingdom of this world and the kingdom of our Christ. Instead we
      make the antithesis between the various branches of Christianity
      and the "one true church as to well-being" whatever we happen to
      think that church is. The above sort of thinking is precisely what
      lends itself to this.