Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Secret Society Paper

  • Cheryl Grenon
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Julian Gress <multiplose@...>
      To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, April 1, 2007 11:43:17 AM
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Secret Society Paper

      <<Third, there is and can only be one true church as to well-being, so
      that there is no absurdity in professing one's own church to be that
      church (for imagine one professing his church not to be the one true
      church, faithful and well-established) . Either a church is faithful
      in doctrine, worship, government, discipline, or it is not. If the
      first, then it is obliged to unite with other churches of the same,
      and if it does not do this, it is no longer a faithful church. And
      if the second is true, then it is no true church as to well-being.
      So if there are a number of true churches as to well-being, then
      they will faithfully into one true church. And they will maintain
      separation from ill or diseased churches (I mean unfaithful ones),
      which do not add to the number of healthy churches. Hence there is
      and can be only one true >>

      Sometimes I think we forget that the antithesis is between the kingdom of this world and the kingdom of our Christ.  Instead we make the antithesis between the various branches of Christianity  and the "one true church as to well-being" whatever we happen to think that church is.  The above sort of thinking is precisely what lends itself to this.

      Cheryl

      Yahoo! News

      Kevin Sites

      Get coverage of

      world crises.

      Yahoo! TV

      Play the Intern Game

      Win and work for

      the next Apprentice.

      Y! GeoCities

      Be Vocal

      Publish your opi-

      nions with a blog.

      .

      Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • Julian Gress
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2007
        Dear Mrs. Grenon,

        I would like to respond to your post in a thoughtful way, but before
        I can reply to your argument, I must request some clarification, as
        I am not entirely sure what you intend to communicate. At least, it
        is not clear to me what the purpose of your comment is.

        First, are you saying that Christians are only distinguished from
        the rest of the world, and not among themselves? In other words, do
        you say that there is no distinction between Christians or Christian
        churches, as long as they are Christian?

        Second, you say that, "The above sort of thinking is precisely what
        lends itself to this," and I ask, does it lend itself to this (the
        conclusions you refer to) by necessary consequence, or by a tendency
        of a thing to be abused? In the first, it is like Arminianism,
        whose necessary conclusion is a rejection of the Gospel, if followed
        out to all of its implications. In the second, it is more like
        alcohol; although people have a tendency to use it in excess, there
        is nothing wrong with alcohol itself.

        In general, I would like to have a better idea of your claims, your
        arguments, and their implications.

        Once I have a clearer understanding of what you are saying, I can
        then answer your objection to the best of my ability.

        As I recall, we met at the Prince George Conventicle, although many
        that I met there have now left the church. In any case, I will pray
        for your restoration.

        Your brother and servant in the Lord,
        Julian R. Gress

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Cheryl Grenon