Reformed Presbyterian/ Covenanter

  • sonofmorgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007
      Hello,
      My name is David. I live in California. I come here to learn on the
      Covenanter and what made them the people they were. I have a pdf book
      that was from the journal of Lt. Col. John Blackadder. the Son of Rev.
      Blackadder that died on bass rock for being a leader/preacher of the
      Covenanter movement.
      My question is about what is the state of the Reformed Presbyterian/
      Covenanter movement right now? It seems that there is alot of diffrent
      groups right now. also alot of diffrent websites.
      David
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
        Hi David,

        Welcome. How did you happen to come across the journal of Col.
        Blackadder? Be there's an interesting story there!

        The state of the covenanter movement is about the same as the state of
        the Presbyterian church in general where you have lots of people
        calling themselves Presbyterians, from the Ultra liberal northern wing
        of the Presbyterian Church in the USA, to the ultra conservative
        (insert favorite presbyterian acronymn here. Careful, there are dozens
        to chose from!).

        Presbyterians, including all flavors of Covenanters have over the past
        350 years gradually lost the things that made them so heroic & noble
        during the English Civil War, & the Killing Times. Compromises on
        issues in a generation led to forgetfulness in the following.

        Thankfully, right before WWII the Lord was gracious to stir things up &
        bring the ideas of the Reformation back to remembrance. In England, for
        example, Martin Lloyd-Jones was instrumental. He helped form Banner of
        Truth publishing, for example.

        Like a stone thrown in a pond ripples further as time goes by, the
        rediscovering of Reformed, Presbyterian & Covenanting principles taught
        in the Bible are making their way through the church & are having an
        impact, not only in the reformed churches, but in the church in
        general. There's even a Covenanter movement in New Zealand now (cf:
        covenantedreformation.com).

        There ARE a lot of RP/Covenanter websites & not everyone agrees on
        everything. Big ideas take a long time to think through & apply
        properly. What the Lord has revealed in his word about Jesus Christ as
        the only head of the church, and as the Governor of the nations ->here
        & NOW<- has met & will meet with an incredible amount of strong
        opposition. Not only from the world & the god of this world, but even
        from the sinful nature in God's people. But its the Lord's work, and
        when its time, nobody is going to hold him back from doing what he's
        decided to do in the world.

        Hope that helps a little.

        Tom

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "sonofmorgan"
        <sonofmorgan@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > My name is David. I live in California. I come here to learn on the
        > Covenanter and what made them the people they were. I have a pdf book
        > that was from the journal of Lt. Col. John Blackadder. the Son of
        Rev.
        > Blackadder that died on bass rock for being a leader/preacher of the
        > Covenanter movement.
        > My question is about what is the state of the Reformed Presbyterian/
        > Covenanter movement right now? It seems that there is alot of
        diffrent
        > groups right now. also alot of diffrent websites.
        > David

      • humbled.learner
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
          Tom, praise the Lord for your comments...

          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <bndr1643@...>