Re: Meaning of Terms in 16th-17th Cent. Europe

  • timmopussycat
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"
      <puritanpresbyterian@...> wrote:

      > Brethren,
      >
      > When the Protestant Church of Christ spoke or wrote against witches
      and sorcerers, what kind of meaning did they pour into those nouns?
      Is it the same way we think of them today, i.e. diviners,
      palm-readers, wiccans (although this is neo-paganism goddess worship
      of today), communioners with the dead, or something else and/or
      different?

      Tim-All the above, definitely as these fall within scripturally
      prohibited categories.

      Did it
      > include drug use where one's mental state is altered? (I heard that
      > being included a long time ago). How about the use of potions and herbs
      > to heal when such women were not known to be or were allowed to be
      > doctors; and like many do today with the home remedies and the adversion
      > to modern chemical medicine?

      Tim-If any of these were included there were no biblical grounds to do so.