Meaning of Terms in 16th-17th Cent. Europe

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
      Brethren,

      When the Protestant Church of Christ spoke or wrote against witches and
      sorcerers, what kind of meaning did they pour into those nouns? Is it
      the same way we think of them today, i.e. diviners, palm-readers,
      wiccans (although this is neo-paganism goddess worship of today),
      communioners with the dead, or something else and/or different? Did it
      include drug use where one's mental state is altered? (I heard that
      being included a long time ago). How about the use of potions and herbs
      to heal when such women were not known to be or were allowed to be
      doctors; and like many do today with the home remedies and the adversion
      to modern chemical medicine?

      Just wondering...in trying to sort out pouring our cultural knowledge
      into that of times past which many times is not a good thing.

      Thanks,

      Edgar
    • Ic Neltococayotl
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006

        Hi Susan,

        I included herbs and home remedies since the typical stereotype of witches includes the use of herbs and such...in Latin America, curanderas-http://tinyurl.com/yxq96e, are known for using homeopathic remedies and herbs to heal but at times are also associated with "magic", but not always (also known as mid-wives, natural remedy healers &etc).

        Thanks,

        Edgar

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "susanandcrew" <gpyp@...> wrote:

        > Hi Edgar,
        >
        > I don't know the answer, but if home remedies and herbs for healing
        > are included in witchcraft then I'm in big trouble! :)
        >
        > Susan
        >
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"
        > puritanpresbyterian@ wrote:
        > >

        > > Brethren,
        > >
        > > When the Protestant Church of Christ spoke or wrote against witches
        > and
        > > sorcerers, what kind of meaning did they pour into those nouns? Is
        > it
        > > the same way we think of them today, i.e. diviners, palm-readers,
        > > wiccans (although this is neo-paganism goddess worship of today),
        > > communioners with the dead, or something else and/or different?
        > Did it
        > > include drug use where one's mental state is altered? (I heard that
        > > being included a long time ago). How about the use of potions and
        > herbs
        > > to heal when such women were not known to be or were allowed to be
        > > doctors; and like many do today with the home remedies and the
        > adversion
        > > to modern chemical medicine?
        > >
        > > Just wondering...in trying to sort out pouring our cultural
        > knowledge
        > > into that of times past which many times is not a good thing.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Edgar

      • timmopussycat
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
          --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ic Neltococayotl"
          <puritanpresbyterian@...> wrote:

          > Brethren,
          >
          > When the Protestant Church of Christ spoke or wrote against witches
          and sorcerers, what kind of meaning did they pour into those nouns?
          Is it the same way we think of them today, i.e. diviners,
          palm-readers, wiccans (although this is neo-paganism goddess worship
          of today), communioners with the dead, or something else and/or
          different?

          Tim-All the above, definitely as these fall within scripturally
          prohibited categories.

          Did it
          > include drug use where one's mental state is altered? (I heard that
          > being included a long time ago). How about the use of potions and herbs
          > to heal when such women were not known to be or were allowed to be
          > doctors; and like many do today with the home remedies and the adversion
          > to modern chemical medicine?

          Tim-If any of these were included there were no biblical grounds to do so.