Scottish Worship

  • toratora1649
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2006
      Does anyone here know of a good book about the worship of the Church of
      Scotland during the Second Reformation? If so, what is it?

      While you are thinking about an answer to the above question, here is
      another: Did the Church of Scotland sing the Gloria Patri in their
      worship services? I have been assured that they did, but I thought they
      were given over to exclusive Psalmody.
    • Chris Coldwell
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2006
        The Scottish practice was basically EP with some exceptions until the
        adoption of the 1650 Psalter when these were dropped (I don't recall
        specifically about the GP). See Hymnology of the Reformation by David
        Hay Fleming (Naphtali Press Anthology series, www.naphtali.com); more
        generally see M'Crie's survey of Scottish worship practices, The
        public worship of Presbyterian Scotland. There are other works I think
        but they are not coming to mind.
        Sincerely,
        Chris Coldwell
        Owner, Naphtali Press http://www.naphtali.com
        Editor, The Confessional Presbyterian journal http://www.cpjournal.com
        Member, Faith Presbyterian Church Reformed, Mesquite TX
        http://www.fpcr.org

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "toratora1649"