Re: Did this group just die?

  • timmopussycat
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2006
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "susanandcrew"
      <gpyp@...> wrote:

      > I think all this group lacks is a topic with broad appeal. Not all
      of
      > us can or want to comment on controversial matters or on matters too
      > high for us, but would enjoy other, more practical discussions. I
      > enjoyed our topic regarding lying and I know others did as well. I
      > think topics having to do with day to day life are very edifying and
      > help me tremendously.
      >
      > Susan
      > p.s. obviously people are still checking in here! :)

      Tim comments-I agree.
    • Deejay
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2006

        I agree with everyone else too. This is the only discussion group I'm still a member of, and its  precisely for the reasons mentioned below.

        Your group should feel affirmed now lots of folks think the same. :-)

        ~Deejay

        --
        Intelligence is in the eye of the beholder!
      • SovereignGraceSingles
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2006
          I'm a Newbie here but I'll ask away....

               I have a Christian friend who is a Seventh Day Adventist. He loves the Lord although a rank Arminian.

               My question is: What do I/would you say to him when he states that the Ten Commandments STILL require Saturday Sabbath keeping?

               Please give Biblical references as well as answers to his expected answers.

               He states that none of the Ten were abrogated and says that the Roman Catholics were the ones that changed Saturday to Sunday.

                                                                    SGSer

        • Deejay
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 29, 2006
            Hi Dean,

            if your friend is a "rank arminian" is Sabbath Day observance the most
            important thing to focus on and be discussing with him? i agree with
            Glenn, i nthat establishing Sola Scriptura seems priority in any
            discussion such as this. As without that in place, theres no way to go
            forwards ISTM.

            ~Deejay

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, SovereignGraceSingles
            <sovereigngracesingles@...> wrote:

            > I'm a Newbie here but I'll ask away....
            >
            > I have a Christian friend who is a Seventh Day Adventist. He loves the
            Lord although a rank Arminian.

            > My question is: What do I/would you say to him when he states that the
            Ten Commandments STILL require Saturday Sabbath keeping?

            > Please give Biblical references as well as answers to his expected
            answers.

            > He states that none of the Ten were abrogated and says that the Roman
            Catholics were the ones that changed Saturday to Sunday.

            > SGSer

            > ---------------------------------
            > Check out the New Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get
            things done faster.

          • Deejay
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2006

              As a PS to this too. Our Very own confession of faith gives a pretty good Scriptural defense of the Sunday Sabbath Day observance. I don't have the sources to post the Scriptural text references right now, but given you're a presbyterian you no doubt have access to it yourself.  Chapter XXI

              Chapter XXI

              Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

              I. The light of nature shows that there is a God, who has lordship and sovereignty over all, is good, and does good unto all, and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart, and with all the soul, and with all the might.[1] But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God is instituted by Himself, and so limited by His own revealed will, that He may not be worshipped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representation, or any other way not prescribed in the holy Scripture.[2]

              II. Religious worship is to be given to God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; and to Him alone;[3] not to angels, saints, or any other creature:[4] and, since the fall, not without a Mediator; nor in the mediation of any other but of Christ alone.[5]

              III. Prayer, with thanksgiving, being one special part of religious worship,[6] is by God required of all men:[7] and, that it may be accepted, it is to be made in the name of the Son,[8] by the help of His Spirit,[9] according to His will,[10] with understanding, reverence, humility, fervency, faith, love and perseverance;[11] and, if vocal, in a known tongue.[12]

              IV. Prayer is to be made for things lawful;[13] and for all sorts of men living, or that shall live hereafter:[14] but not for the dead,[15] nor for those of whom it may be known that they have sinned the sin unto death.[16]

              V. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear,[17] the sound preaching[18] and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God, with understanding, faith and reverence,[19] singing of psalms with grace in the heart;[20] as also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ, are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God:[21] beside religious oaths,[22] vows,[23] solemn fastings,[24] and thanksgivings upon special occasions,[25] which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.[26]

              VI. Neither prayer, nor any other part of religious worship, is now, under the Gospel, either tied unto, or made more acceptable by any place in which it is performed, or towards which it is directed:[27] but God is to be worshipped everywhere,[28] in spirit and truth;[29] as, in private families[30] daily,[31] and in secret, each one by himself;[32] so, more solemnly in the public assemblies, which are not carelessly or wilfully to be neglected, or forsaken, when God, by His Word or providence, calls thereunto.[33]

              VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

              VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, SovereignGraceSingles <sovereigngracesingles@...> wrote:

              > I'm a Newbie here but I'll ask away....
              >
              > I have a Christian friend who is a Seventh Day Adventist. He loves the Lord although a rank Arminian.
              >
              > My question is: What do I/would you say to him when he states that the Ten Commandments STILL require Saturday Sabbath keeping?
              >
              > Please give Biblical references as well as answers to his expected answers.
              >
              > He states that none of the Ten were abrogated and says that the Roman Catholics were the ones that changed Saturday to Sunday.
              >
              > SGSer

              > Check out the New Yahoo! Mail - Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.

            • presbytyrranosaurusrex
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2006
                Antonio,
                Seeing you refer to yourself as Reformed Augustinian, what part on baptism do you
                disagree with Augustin about?
                PTRex
                --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Antonio Menendez III"