Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Did this group just die?

  • Ic Neltococayotl
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2006

      Dear brother Chris,

      Excellent subject matter!!  How about the office of the "Doctor"?  As the Form of Presbyterian Church Government (FPCG) details it;  the office of the Teaching Elder is sub-divided into the Pastor and the Doctor.   This is in addition to the Ruling Elders.  Thus, could it be argued that the office of Elders is three-fold: Pastor, Teacher/Doctor, & Ruling,  no?

      FPCG:

      Teacher or Doctor.

      THE scripture doth hold out the name and title of teacher, as well as of the pastor.

      Who is also a minister of the word, as well as the pastor, and hath power of administration of the sacraments.

      The Lord having given different gifts, and divers exercises according to these gifts, in the ministry of the word; though these different gifts may meet in, and accordingly be exercised by, one and the same minister; yet, where be several ministers in the same congregation, they may be designed to several employments, according to the different gifts in which each of them doth most excel. And he that doth more excel in exposition of scripture, in teaching sound doctrine, and in convincing gainsayers, than he doth in application, and is accordingly employed therein, may be called a teacher, or doctor, (the places alleged by the notation of the word do prove the proposition.) Nevertheless, where is but one minister in a particular congregation, he is to perform, as far is able, the whole work of the ministry.

      A teacher, or doctor, is of most excellent use in schools and universities; as of old in the schools of the prophets, and at Jerusalem, where Gamaliel and others taught as doctors.

      Other Church-Governors.

      AS there were in the Jewish church elders of the people joined with the priests and Levites in the government of the church; so Christ, who hath instituted government, and governors ecclesiastical in the church, hath furnished some in his church, beside the ministers of the word, with gifts for government, and with commission to execute the same when called thereunto, who are to join with the minis n the government of the church. Which officers reformed churches commonly call Elders.

      I also agree that the RE is a Biblical Presbyter.

      Yours in Christ,

      Edgar Ibarra