Re: Amish Disciples

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2006
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmopussycat"
      <timmopussycat@...> wrote:

      > Some here may know this but others may not.
      >
      > http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/2006/10/lessons-from-amish-power-
      > of-pacifism.html

      I lived in Lancaster County for 5 years. My wife and I had our first
      apartment in Lancaster, our first son was born in Lancaster. I now
      live in a neighboring county (where I was born and raised). I've
      bought stuff from Amish, I've eaten in Amish homes, laughed with
      Amish, talked at length with Amish, I've even been kicked by Amish
      people (part of my job), and (also as part of my job) we've been
      supplying the Amish community with counseling and other help following
      this tragedy.

      There are some Amish people I am quite fond of. I have a great
      respect for their family life, their work ethic, their lack of
      worldliness, their compassion, and THEIR FOOD.

      But they have some problems, some real ANTI-Christian problems. This
      comment followed the article Tim linked to, and it makes some
      important points:

      (beginning of quote)
      "That sounds lovely, and it has its applications, but such principles
      cannot be universalized. The pacifism and instant forgiveness of the
      Amish is not a model for the state, which must at times pursue justice
      in the form of retribution. It's not even something that works very
      well for the Amish themselves. I cannot help but think that if those
      poor kids, as well as others who have been murdered in schools by
      maniacs, had been protected in some way by an armed guard, this may
      not have happened.

      "Seeing the Amish so willing to reach out to the family of the man who
      murdered some of their own children is indeed touching and impressive,
      but these sentiments die away when I think of the fact that these same
      people would not and will not bear arms to defend innocent lives. They
      would not do it during World War II. They would not have done it when
      these students were being threatened. There is virtue in being willing
      to die for one's principles, but when those principles force you to
      let others die, the principles are vicious, not virtuous.

      "I hope that our society learns something about compassion from the
      Amish, but may their message of pacifism fall on deaf ears."
      (end of quote)

      This pacifism is problematic, and even wicked, when taken in it's
      entirety the way the Amish teach it and live it. As a matter of
      principle, an average Amishman would not physically resist a violent
      rapist systematically working his way through an Amish household.
      (Next time you're makin' talk with an Amishman, ask him what he would
      do in such a scenerio, he'll tell you the same.) This is detestable
      and NOT to be modelled by Christians! Again, there are many good
      things about the Amish. There are things I LOVE about them, but
      pacifism is NOT one of them.

      Their pelagianism is another, but that's a different topic for another
      day.