Amish Disciples

  • timmopussycat
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2006
      Some here may know this but others may not.

      http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/2006/10/lessons-from-amish-power-
      of-pacifism.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2006
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmopussycat"
        <timmopussycat@...> wrote:

        > Some here may know this but others may not.
        >
        > http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/2006/10/lessons-from-amish-power-
        > of-pacifism.html

        I lived in Lancaster County for 5 years. My wife and I had our first
        apartment in Lancaster, our first son was born in Lancaster. I now
        live in a neighboring county (where I was born and raised). I've
        bought stuff from Amish, I've eaten in Amish homes, laughed with
        Amish, talked at length with Amish, I've even been kicked by Amish
        people (part of my job), and (also as part of my job) we've been
        supplying the Amish community with counseling and other help following
        this tragedy.

        There are some Amish people I am quite fond of. I have a great
        respect for their family life, their work ethic, their lack of
        worldliness, their compassion, and THEIR FOOD.

        But they have some problems, some real ANTI-Christian problems. This
        comment followed the article Tim linked to, and it makes some
        important points:

        (beginning of quote)
        "That sounds lovely, and it has its applications, but such principles
        cannot be universalized. The pacifism and instant forgiveness of the
        Amish is not a model for the state, which must at times pursue justice
        in the form of retribution. It's not even something that works very
        well for the Amish themselves. I cannot help but think that if those
        poor kids, as well as others who have been murdered in schools by
        maniacs, had been protected in some way by an armed guard, this may
        not have happened.

        "Seeing the Amish so willing to reach out to the family of the man who
        murdered some of their own children is indeed touching and impressive,
        but these sentiments die away when I think of the fact that these same
        people would not and will not bear arms to defend innocent lives. They
        would not do it during World War II. They would not have done it when
        these students were being threatened. There is virtue in being willing
        to die for one's principles, but when those principles force you to
        let others die, the principles are vicious, not virtuous.

        "I hope that our society learns something about compassion from the
        Amish, but may their message of pacifism fall on deaf ears."
        (end of quote)

        This pacifism is problematic, and even wicked, when taken in it's
        entirety the way the Amish teach it and live it. As a matter of
        principle, an average Amishman would not physically resist a violent
        rapist systematically working his way through an Amish household.
        (Next time you're makin' talk with an Amishman, ask him what he would
        do in such a scenerio, he'll tell you the same.) This is detestable
        and NOT to be modelled by Christians! Again, there are many good
        things about the Amish. There are things I LOVE about them, but
        pacifism is NOT one of them.

        Their pelagianism is another, but that's a different topic for another
        day.