Francis Makemie: 300 years of Presbyterianism in America

  • Andrew Moody
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      Though it is not widely known, we are currently celebrating the
      300th anniversary of the founding of the first Presbytery in
      America. This Presbytery was formed in 1706, largely by the labors
      of Francis Makemie, an Irish Presbyterian who was sent as a
      missionary to our great land.

      To commemorate this anniversary, Reformation Art has commissioned a
      new portrait of Rev. Makemie, which was painted by Southwest artist
      and Presbyterian Elder, Mike Mahon. I have also developed a new
      website, entirely devoted to the life and work of Rev. Francis
      Makemie, the founding father of American Presbyterianism.

      Please take a moment to visit www.FrancisMakemie.com to learn a
      little bit about the history of Presbyterianism in America and our
      humble beginnings 300 years ago. We are also making prints of the
      new portrait available on the site, so that you can keep it in site
      as an inspirational reminder of the important work of a humble
      missionary who never lived to see the fruit of his labor.

      As always, I appreciate your feedback and comments.

      Grace and Peace,
      Andrew Moody
      Reformation Art
      www.ReformationArt.com