Healing Prayer

  • wilson_jabez
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2006
      Hello,
      I am new to this web site and have never posted before. I am
      wondering if some of the members can guide me in the proper covenented
      approach to prayer for a loved one's healing? Dr. sproul has suggested
      that prayer can alter things, yet does not change God's mind. I find my
      self praying to the Father each evening, usually asking for my
      brother's cancer to be healed. Yet, I wonder how weak my faith is if I
      am not truely and completely convinced he is already healed. I ask that
      the Father's will be done, yet what I really seem to mean is, I pray
      His will is the same as mine. Do miracles still happen? Like the
      centurian, I ask " Speak the word only", yet my faith seems so weak. I
      wonder what more I can do. Some denominations, anoint with oil, lay on
      hands,...are there ministers of God with such power? How much faith is
      enough? Sweet Jesus where will I find it? I pray to the Father, but
      find myself drifting to Jesus for comfort...is this wrong? I am such a
      mess. Will the Father have patience with me?

      Ken R.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2006
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "wilson_jabez" <krhynas@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >   I am new to this web site and have never posted before.

        Welcome, Ken.  I hope you find good hospitality here.

        > Dr. sproul has suggested
        > that prayer can alter things, yet does not change God's mind.

        I believe that this is an accurate statement.  God's mind does not change, but it sometimes ~seems~ to us that it changes.

        > I find my
        > self praying to the Father each evening, usually asking for my
        > brother's cancer to be healed. Yet, I wonder how weak my faith is if I
        > am not truely and completely convinced he is already healed. I ask that
        > the Father's will be done, yet what I really seem to mean is, I pray
        > His will is the same as mine.

        I will join you tonight in praying for your brother.  That you are so moved to pray for him, says something of your faith in God, and of the love you have towards your brother -- and I don't think it says "weak," I think it says "strong and fervent."

        > Do miracles still happen?

        I believe that miracles can still happen.  What are your thoughts on this?

        > Some denominations, anoint with oil, lay on
        > hands,...are there ministers of God with such power?

        Does your brother have a minister?  Elders?  You could talk to them.  You could confess your sin to God, you can fast and pray, you can talk to your brother about his walk with God, so yes, there are other things you could do.

        > How much faith is enough?

        How much is "a mustard seed"?

        > I pray to the Father, but find myself drifting to Jesus for
        > comfort...is this wrong?

        No, no, no... this is RIGHT.  Christ is the Mediator, Christ is God and Man, Christ is the way to the Father... be comforted in Christ... this "drifting" towards Christ may actually be His "drawing" of you to Himself.  Trust in Christ, and find all of your comfort in Him.

        > I am such a mess.

        Ken, my name is Jerry, and I'm a mess too!  Good to "meet" you!

        > Will the Father have patience with me?

        Oh yes... "The LORD, The LORD God, ***merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin,*** and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation" (Exodus 34:6,7).

        May the LORD show Himself merciful and gracious and longsuffering and good to you Ken, and to your brother.  Amen.

        gmw.
      • wilson_jabez
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2006
          Jerry,
          Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. I guess I
          should tell you how I came to this group. My family is traditionally
          of the Friends Church (Quaker), but on moving to a different town
          many years ago , we gravitated to the Methodist Church. Over the
          years I have developed a Calvinist leaning and a fondness for Puritan
          teachings. There is no Reformed Church here ,and I dearly love this
          congregation, so I and will remain. My personal path to the Lord has
          been a long and bumpy one. I have at times, turned my back on God,
          and been angry with Him. I guess we have all lost loved ones that we
          have prayed for. Years ago I was in a situation much like I am now. I
          was praying for my uncle and he lost his battle. I remember being
          very angry and bitter. I resolved that I would be obedient, but would
          never ask the Lord for anything ever again. Looking back I hardly
          know that person now. I know now that no matter what the outcome of
          my present situation, I will always be thankfull for the saving grace
          of my Lord , always be mindful of and sorry for my uncountable,
          horrific sins ,and yes I will always pray and ask of my Lord.Thank
          you for your prayers. It is strange how things work out of hardship.
          After many years, my parents have returned to church. I see now that
          blessings come from prayer, even if they are not exactly what I have
          asked for. What a wonderous God we have.

          Ken R.
        • wilson_jabez