John Ball: Treatise of the Covenant of Grace

  • peterreynoldsbookseller
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2006
      Peter & Rachel Reynolds
      Dingwall, Scotland
      www.peterreynoldsbooks.com
      ======================
      We have just published our first book, A Treatise of the Covenant of
      Grace (Facsimile Reprint from the 1645 edition) by John Ball.
      http://www.peterreynoldsbooks.com/si/090004.html

      This is a Lightning Source print-on-demand book, but we have copies in
      stock here for immediate dispatch. The main text of the book is 350
      pages long, and the price is GBP 15 or approximately $28 (US). The
      format is a 6 x 9 inch paperback, and the pages are images (see here)
      of the pages in the original 1645 edition, of which I have had a copy
      for some years. However since getting the paperback printed I have
      been getting down to reading it (much easier to handle than a fragile
      old book) and finding it to be of spiritual as well as theological
      interest, as it concerns the very foundations of our Christian faith
      and life.

      Published in 1645 by his friend Simeon Ash after Ball's death, this is
      a major work on the subject of God's covenant, and comes with
      recommendations from other leading Puritans such as Edmund Calamy.
      This book of Ball's is said to have been influential in the
      Westminster Assembly, during which it was published.

      Topics studied include:

      • what a covenant is
      • the different ways in which God made covenant in the Old and New
      Testaments
      • how Christ is the Mediator of the New Testament
      • how Christ brings his people into covenant
      • how Christians answer Christ's call

      John Ball (1585-1640) was educated at Brasenose College, Oxford, and
      preached the gospel in Whitmore, Staffordshire. He wrote many books
      and was learned in the controversy with the Roman Church. His writings
      were popular in New England. Despite his books being widely
      circulated in the 17th century, so far as we know this is the first
      reprint in book form since then.

      To order, visit http://www.peterreynoldsbooks.com

      Kind regards

      Peter Reynolds
    • timmopussycat
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2006
        Tim comments

        Well worth reading. Ball was indeed a major influence on the
        Westminster Assembly.
        Tim

        --- In
        covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "peterreynoldsbookseller"