Lawful Deception??

  • Ginny Dohms
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006
      > Apparently we aren't alone in this debate.

      This debate has been going on for a LONG time in both secular and Christian
      circles. From experience, the one thing I have noted from observing these
      debates is that I have never seen anyone change their position from the one
      they held prior to the debate. I know that there are other topics where the
      same can be said, but this seems to be one of those things that is so clear
      and straightforward to each of the opposing sides of the debate, and neither
      can convince the other to understand, and see their arguments. It was wise
      to wrap this one up, as it really was not going anywhere and probably never
      would. I thought some of the arguments were excellent, but I already know
      what I believe, so it was more of a reinforcement than anything.

      Just an observation...Ginny
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006
        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ginny Dohms"
        <gdawn@...> wrote:

        > It was wise
        > to wrap this one up, as it really was not going anywhere and
        probably > never would.

        Oh, I don't know. I was enjoying the discussion very much, and
        learning alot too. True, I did not read anything to cause me to
        waver from the view Augustine, Calvin, and Turretin uphold (that
        lying, though less heinous in a case like Rahab's, is sin
        nonetheless, and in the case of Rahab, graciously forgiven, and that
        even our good works are tainted with our sin), but I am definatley
        spending some good time meditating on these things. I think as long
        as folks stay friendly about it, continuing the discussion is fine by
        me.

        I know I still have questions about lying under oath in order to save
        a life, and Susan was wondering about what Gus has to say about
        Turretin's view, and there are no doubt other things that could still
        be fleshed out a little, WITHOUT FIGHTING, of course.

        gmw.
      • Edgar Ibarra
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2006
          <raging.calvinist@...> wrote:

          > I know I still have questions about lying under oath in order to save
          > a life, and Susan was wondering about what Gus has to say about
          > Turretin's view, and there are no doubt other things that could still
          > be fleshed out a little, WITHOUT FIGHTING, of course.
          >
          > gmw.

          Has anyone address Joshua 8:1-2 yet? God here is sanctioning a military
          strategy that is deceptive in nature to destroy the people of Ai.

          What sayest ye (plural to all in the list)?

          -Edgar