Re: The Lure of Theocracy.........

  • Fred blahous
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2006
      G'day James,

      "I find no guidance in the Qur'an on how Muslims should live as a
      minority in a society and no guidance in the New Testament on how
      Christians should live as a majority." He put his finger on a
      central difference between the two faiths. One, born at Pentecost,
      tends to thrive cross-culturally and even counterculturally, often
      coexisting with oppressive governments. The other, geographically
      anchored in Mecca, was founded simultaneously as a religion and a

      There is no need for a new law code in the NT because we already
      have the duties contained in the Ten Commandments. All that is
      needed is statutary ammendment of an existing law code to remove any
      principles contrary thereto. For instance, in Europe, we would amend
      the Feudal, Cannon, and Common laws to ensure continuity with the OT
      principles via enabling statutory acts. eg: an act authorising
      marriage for ecclesiastic and monastic persons or pronouncing
      sentence of death upon anyone saying or attending upon the mass. The
      same can be done with the Mid-East Sharia laws to bring them in line
      with scripture, or Jewish Sanhedrin laws. There is no need to
      establish a new code anywhere. This is not grounds for blatently
      antinomian government, however. Whereever there is a sin, there is a
      crime, and the duties of governments are to establish an appropriate
      penalty for the same.

      > As a result, in strict Muslim countries, religion, culture, and
      > politics are unified. Whereas in the U.S. school boards debate the
      > legality of one-minute nonsectarian prayers at football games, in
      > Muslim countries commerce and transportation screech to a halt at
      > call to prayer five times a day. Many Muslims seek the official
      > adoption of Shari'ah law, derived from sacred writings and similar
      to the all-encompassing code in the Pentateuch.

      So Muslims today are less corrupt then the churches. This is not
      news and was true in the Middle Ages as well.

      > Fueled by theocratic zeal, Islam conquered three-fourths of all
      > Christian territory during the Middle Ages. In response Christians,
      > who had little tradition of holy war, launched the Crusades. Over
      > time, the Christian West separated church and state and fostered a
      > respect for religious freedom. Ultimately, Europe became
      identified as a "post-Christian" culture. Notably, there are no
      comparable "post-Muslim" societies except in regions where Islam was
      evicted by force.

      Is the author seriously suggesting that there should be a "post-
      Muslim" culture? Should there not be a Christian one instead?
      Incidentally, the result of failure to maintain the nearest
      conjunction between church and kingdom is beautifully demonstrated
      here. The king is the nursing father to the church, and a keeper of
      both tables. It is his duty to terrorise all evil-doers, whether
      they be offenders in morals or faith. It is a pity that European
      kings showed just how pretensious where their claims to be lineal
      descendents of the Apostles, bearing rule by divine right. Had they
      lived by faith and not fiction, there would be no talk of a "Post-
      Christian" culture today.

      > Theocratic culture also opens up the potential for moral coercion—
      as Christians know from our own history. In Algeria, radical
      Islamists cut off the lips and noses of Muslims who smoke and drink
      alcohol. In some Muslim countries, the morals police publicly beat
      women who dare to ride in a taxi unaccompanied by their husbands, or
      who drive a car alone. Adultery or conversion to Christianity may
      warrant a death sentence.

      By "opening up the potential for moral coercion", I assume he
      means "enactment of legislation" since these are the same thing.
      Since the moral law makes no provision for mutilating people or
      beating women, this is irrelevant to the issue. So is the example of
      smoking or drinking, since these practises are forbidden in the
      Quran and not in the bible. Adultery certainly warrants a death
      sentence by more rigorous mean since it is a sexual offence. I
      recommend drawing and quartering, myself. Conversion to Christianity
      laws can be replaced with an anti-conversion out of Christianity
      law. To depart from the established religion of our kingdom is not
      only soul murder, but also an act of genocide against all persons of
      British descent. Should not the community defend itself from this?

      Christians in the Middle East do not oppose all the moral strictures
      > of Islam. One Egyptian told me he cannot check into a hotel room
      > a woman until he proves she is his wife—a policy he appreciates, as
      > does his wife. Most Christians I talked to at this conference would
      > rather raise their children in a closely guarded Islamic society
      than in the United States, where freedom so often leads to decadence.

      This is because Christians in the Mid-East know their bibles better
      than those in the West. Again, nothing new. In the West, the
      environment is more repressive because there is no marital security.
      A husband or wife can be abandoned at any time, and courts routinely
      punish the victims. Harrassment and vilification of parents for
      pulling their kids from school is a constant threat and sanctioned
      by Child Protection who gives kids to pedophile "foster parents".
      Freedom leads not to decadence, because freedom is the right to do
      right. There is no right to do wrong in either faith or morals. This
      is true civilly, ecclesiastically, and in our private persons.

      > Hearing firsthand about Islamic culture increased my understanding,
      > but it also made me nervous about my own society. The very things
      > resist in Islam, some Christians find tempting. We, too, seek
      > political power and a legal code that reflects revealed morality.
      > too, share a concern about raising our children in a climate of
      > decadence. We, too, tend to see others (including Muslims) as a
      > stereotyped community, rather than as individuals. Will we turn
      > our own version of the harsh fundamentalism sweeping Islam today?

      Not political power, but the restoration of biblical government in
      opposition to politics. Ban all parties, have a house of commons,
      Lords, and executive by king in England, Regents in Scotland and
      Ireland, and Governor-Generals in Australia, New Zealand, Canada,
      Rhodesia, and America.

      All the best,