Re: Pre Civil War Covenanters and the Underground Railroad

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Christine
      Catalfamo" <chriscat53@...> wrote:

      > Dear Friends
      > I am not a Covenanter but rather a historian trying to more
      > fully understand the relationship between covenanters and seceders in
      > the middle 19th century.

      Hello Dr. Catalfamo,

      I'm almost certainly not the caliber of informant you are seeking here,
      but I will try to help with the little information that I do have.

      Concerning the relationship between Covenanters and Seceders -- they
      were historically in agreement on very many doctrines, though very much
      divided on certain things, not the least of which was their
      understanding of the duty of Christians under a tyrannical civil
      magistrate. See the Covenanter (Reformed Presbyterian) document "The
      Act, Declaration, and Testimony" on this point:
      http://tinyurl.com/4nnca

      Note the reluctance in testifying against the Seceders, and the kind
      and careful words used in prefacing their testimony against them. It
      is my understanding that various dissenting parties of the day, which
      held to various beliefs, and yet still were called "Covenanters," were
      less careful and kind with their words, inviting harsh responses from
      the Seceders towards "Covenanters." The Act, Declaration and Testimony
      seems to be attempting to avoid this. A lesson that some modern Covies
      ought to learn as well.

      As far as Covenanter opposition to slavery, some documents you may wish
      to look at can be found here:
      http://www.covenanter.org/Slavery/slaveryhome.htm

      Also, one of the reasons for Covenanters position of political dissent
      in America concerned the issue of slavery being sanctioned by the
      government. See the relevant sections of Wylie's "Two Sons of Oil"
      (reason #8 under "the reasons why we cannot yield obedience, for
      conscience' sake, to the present civil authority in North America":

      http://tinyurl.com/gge7k

      I hope some of this may be of some small help.