Rewards in Heaven

  • multiplose
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2006
      I think it goes without saying that all those who enter into eternal
      damnation will be punished by their conduct, which implies that
      there will be degrees of torment according to their sin. But what
      about the righteous? Will they receive different degrees of rewards
      in heaven based on their conduct on earth? No doubt God will reward
      the righteous according to their deeds, but what does this mean?
      Does it mean, according to our deeds in this body, and nothing more,
      or does it mean according to the righteousness of Christ, which is
      imputed to us in God's sight, and therefore, one and the same reward
      awaits all believers in heaven?

      My personal opinion is that our deeds serve as a witness to the
      faith by which Christ's righteousness is imputed to us. It is proof
      that we have his righteousness, and therefore by them we receive an
      eternal inheritance which is according to the righteousness of
      Christ. Hence, I would say both of these things are true, in
      different ways.

      I am curious to know what our faithful forefathers had to say on
      this matter.

      Your brother and servant in our Lord Jesus,
      Julian R. Gress