[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Why I am Not a Theonomist.......

  • timmopussycat
    Message 1 of 131 , Jul 3, 2006
      reformed_wild_child <no_reply@...> wrote:

      R.C. Sproul says it well:

      Although tradition [or history] does not rule our interpretation, it
      does guide it. If, upon reading a particular passage, you have come
      up
      with an interpretation that has escaped the notice of every other
      Christian for two thousand years, or that has been championed by
      universally recognized heretics, chances are pretty good, that you
      better abandon your interpretation. [R.C. Sproul]

      Tim-I agree with Sproul's comment. But notice that he does not make
      an absolute statment. The strongest he can say is that the odds
      are "pretty good" that an innovator will need to abandon his
      interpretation as unsound. But the Scripturual rule remains; test
      all things, not reject anything that appears novel.

      > Deejay
      > I think I'm seeing this differently to you, though don't disagree
      with
      > the below. The major fact, the ONLY fact is the question of if he
      was
      > right or not, which is a long way from being accepted by most
      > Calvinists. The truth whether 300 years ago or today, is not
      likely to
      > change, and looking for new truths, is always a dangerous thing to
      do.

      Tim-From all the evidence available to me, I don't think either
      Rushdoony or Bahnsen was looking for new truths. How Rush arrived at
      his conclusions cannot be stated with certainty but what is certain
      is that Rush was a big influence on Bahnsen.

      > I'm sorry I don't think it was courageous, I think it was
      audacious. I
      > do agree that one man and the truth makes a majority, but as it
      stands
      > we have one man's opinion and not a fat lot else.

      Tim-Not quite, the original opinion was that of Rushdoony; Bahnsen
      tried to justify it scripturally and historically. The majority
      opinion among the Reformed is that he failed to do so, but some
      other Theonomists have tried to buttress weak points in the
      Theonomic thesis.

      Tim
    • Fred blahous
      Message 131 of 131 , Jul 15, 2006
        G'day Deejay,

        Just so you know, I definitely wasn't implying that you were old.lol.

        All the best,
        Fred.