[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Why I am Not a Theonomist.......

  • reformed_wild_child
    Message 1 of 131 , Jul 2, 2006
      Well I'm just picking any old post to respond to on this, but, I GOT IT!!  And now feel foolish. I not the brightest bulb in the box sometimes.

      But I have been reading some of North and Demar's, book, "Christian REconstruction, what it is and what it isn't"  (tho its also likely to escape from my brain a second time given time!) but, he did make an observation that goes all to this whole thing we were discussing.  That to critique something on second hand information is not scholarship esp when the person in question being critiqued is in print.  (breaking of the ninth commandment and all that)

      I'm relooking thru some of the material I have to see if now I do remember things better than I did some while ago, if its helpful, but, I still don't have an opinion on theonomy or not. The only observation I have made, is that both theonomists and the puritans of New England, (and maybe merry ole England too) both esteemed teh law very high and in lots of areas of the church the law is neglected today with the famous words of "we are under grace not law" which maybe true in itself of course, but it hardly states the case fairly.

      Anyway, I just wanted to say sorry I kept harping 'bout this book thing, as I really didn't get it.

      ~Deejay

      Dear Deejay,

          The "tried and tested" aspects of the reformers is MORE reason to study the theonomists rather than just dismiss them.  After all, how did the reformers become tried and tested?  Through study - by both defenders *and* opponents.  Which led to sharpening of skills, defenses, shoring up weak points, etc.

      In Christ,
      Kevin

      PS  Yes, yahoo is gross for posting!
    • Fred blahous
      Message 131 of 131 , Jul 15, 2006
        G'day Deejay,

        Just so you know, I definitely wasn't implying that you were old.lol.

        All the best,
        Fred.