Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Why I am Not a Theonomist.......

  • Kevin Guillory
    Message 1 of 131 , Jul 1 5:09 PM
      timmopussycat wrote:
      Tim- Speculating as to why Bahnsen never took back any errors is
      moot
          I don't think so.  Bahnsen was an unusually self-critical scholar who, from my understanding, was ever examining his own position in minute detail from a Scriptural point of view.
      , but it is not unknown for first class scholars to persist in
      errors. Look at Tom Wright v. Don Carson(depending on which side of
      the current justification by faith only controversy you are on) or
      Gordon Fee (on women in church leadership) for cases in point.

          As I said above, Bahnsen critiqued himself from a Scriptural point of view.
      All that said, however, a couple of comments can be made. I do not
      think Bahnsen ever encountered a full critique of his work from a
      Reformed perspective.
          I'm afraid you are sincerely wrong here.  One need merely look at the OT scholar Meredith Kline who, as early as 1978, began a scathing attack against Bahnsen's point of view.  And, following Kline, was his disciple David Gordon who was quite thorough and detailed in his arguments against Bahnsen.  In fact the attacks were so prolonged that it's taken Gentry to continue the Bahnsen apologetics.
          Bahnsen faced withering criticism in his own day.  And that from the "big guns" themselves.
      Yet when all is said and done, the only criteria is faithfulness to
      Scripture. Both Bahnsen and his critics, (including the undersigned),
      think themselves faithful to Scripture. And the only way to prove
      who is right is to "search the Scriptures...to se if these things
      were so."

          Precisely Bahnsen's point.  (Along with the Spirit's.)

      In Christ,
      Kevin
    • Fred blahous
      Message 131 of 131 , Jul 15 2:11 AM
        G'day Deejay,

        Just so you know, I definitely wasn't implying that you were old.lol.

        All the best,
        Fred.