Why I am Not a Theonomist.......

  • James
    Message 1 of 131 , Jun 23, 2006
      I have no argument with a great deal of what the theonomists teach.
      In fact I find much of their writings on apologetics and theology
      positively delightful. So my rejection of Theonomy does not mean that
      I wholesale reject all of what they have to say. I have always agreed
      with their stance that there is no neutrality, and that all persons
      have basic presuppositions (many they cannot account for), even prior
      to reading any of their writings. My disagreement is with their
      political ideology which appears to be bent on enforcing the first
      table of the Law.

      The rule of God is good and I long for it in its fullness when our
      Lord returns, but a theocracy is still a rule of man, since men's
      understanding of God is always subjective. Thus the depravity of man
      itself rules out the possibility of a real theocracy since our
      application of it is always flawed. This is not to mention the
      disagreements amongst ourselves us are sharp. I especially find it
      disturbing when theonomists begin speaking of imprisoning or deporting
      persons of other religions. Such a lack of meekness is not our place
      this side of the cross prior to the parousia. Do you hope to persuade
      those in prison of our Christianity by force of will? In my opinion
      this methodology, proposed by many prominent theonomists, is in
      conflict with the Word of God. The sword is not to be used as it is in
      Islam to coerce conversions. I have had enough debates with
      theonomists to know this is what many of them believe.

      Also disturbing, and often to my surprise, is that the attitude of
      many of those who attempt to enforce their logic to persuade me in
      this issue to be unrelenting and often mean-spirited.
      Theonomy/Reconstructionism needs to take a gentler approach if it
      hopes to persuade others. Jesus told us to look at the fruit of the
      persons to determine the spiritual reality, and the common lack of
      genuine humility I find among many followers of reconstructionism is
      enough to give me serious pause. I say this while recognizing my own
      cold-heartedness toward others so this is surely not a blanket
      condemnation. I merely say it because I believe love hates what is
      harmful and destructive in others' lives. When I see my friends caught
      in something that is ultimately harmful I must come humbly with a
      clear attitude of "I love you and am committed to you but I can't
      stand to see what this is doing to your life," all the while
      recognizing my own sinfulness.

      It is my strong belief that in this era our Lord has called us to make
      his Word known through meekness, suffering and godly persuasion, not
      coercion. If postmillenialism is true and we have the opportunity to
      apply biblical law to civil government, I would part ways with you
      guys with regard to the first table of the Mosiac Law. I do not
      believe that it can be enforced on unbelievers. Our tools of war are
      love, prayer and the word of God, as empowered by the Holy Spirit.
      Political enforcement of worship isn't going to save people. The Lord
      never sanctions it.
    • Fred blahous
      Message 131 of 131 , Jul 15, 2006
        G'day Deejay,

        Just so you know, I definitely wasn't implying that you were old.lol.

        All the best,
        Fred.