Re: Is This just sour grapes?

  • Fred blahous
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
      G'day Glenn.

      A sermon on Covenantor.org list Exodus 21:16 and I Timothy 1:7
      against the practise of chattel. The slavery regulations in the
      bible are such that a bankrupt person would learn fiscal
      responsibility by laboring for seven years in his maister's house
      and then be set free. If he wanted to remain as a servant, he would
      be payed a wage after this time, and be branded with jewellery to
      signify spending the rest of his life in his master's house. This
      seems more like the role of a chamber maid or butler than the
      outright ownership of kidnap victims and their descendents as
      practised in ancient Rome and the Southron lands. The "rights"
      conferred to master's over the chastity of slaves is also in plain
      violation of the seventh commandment, as it revives concubinage and
      polygamy, which, although lawful in the OT, are abolished in the NT.

      You can check out McLeod's sermon at
      www.covenantor.org/McLeod.negro.htm.

      Hope that helps.

      All the best,
      Fred.

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn Ferrell"
      <jglennferrell@...> wrote:

      > Fred:
      >
      > What Scripture would you appeal to condemn "chattel slavery"?
      >
      > Not that I am anxious to revive the practice. I just have
      problems calling something sin that God's Word does not make sin.

      covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com<mailto:covenantedreformatio
      nclub@yahoogroups.com>