Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Interesting article by the RPC of I

  • jparnellm@usxchange.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
      I am sorry, but I must take exception to the article's version of history in a
      variety of respects:

      1. It is incoherent. One primary issue is this: is the govt of Great Britain
      legitimate or is it not? The author of this article talks out of both sides of
      his mouth. **If** it was illegitimate, then I would certainly grant that it
      was wrong to have been part of the Rev Settlement CofS, for the Rev Settlement
      CofS recognized Britain's govt as legitimate. But if was illegitimate under
      William & Mary, it is certainly as illegitimate under the current British
      monarch. Yet the current Refd Pres Church of Ireland of the author does not
      today take the stand that it is illegitimate. One cannot have one's cake and
      eat it too.

      2. It is sadly ironic that the article should laud this letter ("sent by the
      Synod
      of the RPCI to the American Reformed Presbyterian Church in 1922. It reads as
      follows: 'The great betrayal of Ulster by the British government is one of the
      basest and most sordid acts ever committed by any government. But it is the
      natural outcome of a Christless constitution... ) The reality is that it was
      the USA that revolted from an explicitly Protestant nation (Britain) and wrote
      a Christless constitution (the **US** Constitution). It was the USA that
      created a situation where Britain was under tremendous pressure to give
      Romanists voting rights, like they were given in
      the USA **after** the American Revolution. It was Britain's King George III
      (who Americans so despise) that all his life refused to allow Romanist
      franchise. It was the USA that entered into an alliance with Romanist France
      to achieve its "liberty", and so put in jeopardy Britain's other territories
      like Ireland.

      3. It fails to even try to prove its point. I quite agree that British govt
      under William & Mary ( as well as the current Queen Eliz II) was flawed. And,
      yes, it was heinous how it ignored the SLC. But proving that a govt is not
      religiously faithful is not the same as proving it is illegitimate. And this
      article never connects those dots.

      - Parnell McCarter

    • Glenn Ferrell
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
        Does the article speak to the "legitimacy" or "illegitimacy" of the Government of Great Britain?  It questions the morality and advisability of the surrender of part of Ireland and the more recent Stormont agreement.  This article is more concerned with the continuing obligation of the SL&C and its applicability to England, Scotland and Ireland.  One can accept the government of the UK as legitimate in the sense of providentially established by God, while still pointing out their sin in abandoning the terms of the SL&C and the Erastian interference in the affairs of the church after 1688.  The RPCI and David Silversides in particular have maintained relationships with groups who subsequently seceding from the CoS, while encouraging them to consider the continuing obligation of the Covenants.  I have heard David Silversides preach to a Free Church of Scotland Continuing congregation and in a less formal discussion urge on them the importance of the Covenants.  Since most American Presbyterians know little of the Covenants or the argument for their continuing obligation, Silversides article is a helpful introduction for them.

        Glenn Ferrell
        SRPC, Boise, ID

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/B6T8nB/Vp3LAA/EcBKAA/GuTslB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • jparnellm@usxchange.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
          Glenn, I can respect Rev Silversides for much that he has done and stands for
          (which, btw, I do), while taking exception with this article in some notable
          respects. Its theme is not merely the SLC, but rather the SLC as it justifies
          the separation of the Refd Pres Church (of Ireland) from the Rev Settlement
          CofS
          and its successors.

          Rev Silversides leaves unsaid the fact that his own denomination does *not*
          hold
          to the positions that it held to when it separated from Rev Settlement CofS.
          The RPNA is right to point out this fact to the RPI and RPCNA of today. The
          historic RP position is that the govt of Great Britain is not legitimate
          because unfaithful to the SLC. And the issue that divided the Rev Settlement
          CofS and its successors was not whether the civil govt of Great Britain was as
          religiously faithful as it ought to have been, but whether as a result it was
          legitimate or not.

          Even this statement of his is inaccurate: "The Revolution Settlement allowed
          unrepentant episcopalians, compromisers and even persecutors to hold office in
          the Church of Scotland." He fails to mention the fact that no one was allowed
          to hold office in the Rev Settlement CofS who did not:

          - fully subscribe to the WCF (which is pres, not episcopalian)

          - serve in a pres church (because the Rev Settlement CofS had pres not epis
          govt)

          In other words, they could only serve if they either lied or became
          presbyterian. And IMO there is no human system this side of the Day of
          Judgment which can keep out hypocrites so long as they keep up their mask.

          - Parnell McCarter

          covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com<mailto:covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com>

          http://www.loughbrickland.org/articles/slc.shtml<http://www.loughbrickland.org/articles/slc.shtml>

          <http://www.PresbiterianoReformado.org<http://www.presbiterianoreformado.org/>>

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Whit
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
            Could you clarify your responses? Thanks.

            Whit

            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, jparnellm@...

          • jparnellm@usxchange.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
              Quoting Whit <covie_pres.1646@...>:

              > Could you clarify your responses? Thanks.
              >

              > Whit

              Whit, to the extent the article defends the SLC, I think it is a good article.
              But to the extent its theme is not merely the SLC, but rather the SLC as it
              justifies the separation of the Refd Pres Church of Ireland from the Rev
              Settlement CofS and its successors, I find it flawed. My previous post has
              laid out certain of my concerns with it.

              - Parnell