Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Interesting article by the RPC of I

  • Randy Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2006
      Thanks Edgar !

      From: Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
      Sent: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:05:52 -0800
      To: covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Covenanted Reformation] Interesting article by the RPC of I

      Ran across this article by the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland.  They also state that the Revolution Presbyterian Church was unfaithful and rejected the Solemn League and Covenant and also allowed unfaithful ministers and apostates into their church and for the various other reasons I also posted last summer in my debate with Matthew Winzer.  I did not know about this article until now.  Note their similiar argument for the maintenance of the SL&C for today and why the Revolution Presbyterian Church is a denial of the Second Reformation (1638-1649).

      http://www.loughbrickland.org/articles/slc.shtml

      Excerpt form the above site:

      "...Having said that, Ireland was the place where the Solemn League and Covenant was taken without coercion, which wasn't entirely true in England or Scotland. We are constrained to conclude therefore that unless it can be shown to be sinful in any of its requirements the Solemn League and Covenant is binding on this generation also. "

      The Present Position

      What happened to the Solemn League and Covenant?
      In Scotland by the time of the revolution under King William, the Solemn League and Covenant was virtually forgotten. The continuing Covenanter remnant in Scotland, later known as the Reformed Presbyterian Church, dissented from the Revolution Settlement because it ignored the National Covenant of Scotland and the Solemn League and Covenant. There were other reasons. The Revolution Settlement allowed unrepentant episcopalians, compromisers and even persecutors to hold office in the Church of Scotland. The Revolution Settlement gave the state a right of interference in the church, even in the Church of Scotland, never mind the Church of England where the monarch is head of the church. In the Church of Scotland from the Revolution Settlement onwards there was a right given to the civil authorities to interfere in the church. That right increased and led to several later secessions from the Church of Scotland.

      Prelacy or episcopacy (government in the church by a hierarchy), was allowed in England. Presbyterianism was allowed in Scotland because of its popularity, not because it was of divine right. In other words, the revolution of 1688, though it brought much good and delivered the Covenanters from much of their sufferings, yet the settlement that was brought in fell woefully short of the biblical high ground of the Solemn League and Covenant. That covenant was ignored from then on.

      For Christ's Crown & Covenant,

      Edgar Ibarra

      RPNA-Albany, NY

      www.ReformedPresbytery.org

      www.AlbanyCRPC.org

      www.PresbiterianoReformado.org

    • Glenn Ferrell
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2006
        Rev. Silversides' lectures on the Covenants are very good.

        Glenn Ferrell
        Pastor, SRPC
        Boise, ID

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2006
          I should have added:  You may find David Silversides' sermons and lectures on Sermon Audio.

          The Loughbrickland congregation of the RPCI is worth visiting if you are in Ulster.

          Glenn
          Boise, ID