Re: Homosexuality

  • Whit
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2006

      I can strongly relate to your friend's tendencies. My only advice
      is to love him as yourself and remember that the Spirit alone
      convinces and convicts as you help your friend. Those details are
      in the wonderful counsel others have given upon which I can't

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Martin
      <dmartindnospam@...> wrote:
> [...]
      > have will not be true mortification nor profit him if he forfeits
      > soul (Mat. 16:26).
      > When studying sanctification, it is important to beware of false
      > teachings which promise life and peace but actually promote death
      > through a false peace (Jer. 6:14, Rom. 8:6); either by an easy-
      > antinomianistic rejection of God's law (Rom. 6:1-2), or by the
      > burden of meritorious works and traditions of men which have no
      > from God's word (Matt. 23:4, Mark 7:8).
      > For new Christians or those who are still as new Christians,
      > mortification will likely be a more difficult than for those who
      > extensively studied and practiced it, yet always difficult to
      > degrees. Therefore, it is profitable for us to consider the
      advice of
      > those who are seasoned in waging this warfare (Prov. 20:18, 1 John
      > 2:13-14) in which the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the
      > against the flesh (Gal. 5:17). Concerning the progress of
      > mortification, John Owen writes: "when a man first sets on a lust
      > distemper, to deal with it, it struggles with great violence to
      > loose; it cries with earnestness and impatience to be satisfied
      > relieved; but when by mortification the blood and spirits of it
      are let
      > out, it moves seldom and faintly, cries sparingly, and is scarce
      > in the heart; it may have sometimes a dying pang, that makes an
      > appearance of great vigor and strength, but it is quickly over,
      > especially if it be kept from considerable success." [1]
      > Sinful tendencies may be mortified directly or indirectly, although
      > typically through a combination of both direct and indirect means.
      > Direct mortification in this case would involve striving against
      > particular sin of sodomy for which various resources and
      > have already been offered by others. Indirect mortification of a
      > particular sin, which I believe is equally important, attacks the
      > of indwelling sin [12] by positively applying the means of grace
      > directing mortification to other particular sins in the pursuit of
      > universal holiness (1 Pet. 1:16). The resources I've appended
      > primarily with indirect mortification.
      > The fact that your friend is struggling indicates that he
      > sodomy as sin. This should not be left to a general recognition,
      > the Christian ought to carefully study and meditate upon God's law
      > (Josh. 1:8, Psa. 119:9, Prov. 7:1-3, etc.)[11] in order to
      > how this sin is a violation of that law and in order to cultivate
      > proper abhorrence of what Scripture places within a class of
      > particularly heinous, sexual sins. However, sodomy is one sexual
      > among many which Christians must mortify. His condition is not
      > in terms of struggling with sexual sin in general; most, if not
      > Christians are engaged at some point and to some degree in a
      battle for
      > sexual purity. I think a case can be made for sexual sin, along
      > its associated sins, being a violation of the whole law of God.
      1st, by
      > placing oneself above and in the place of God, autonomously
      judging to
      > be lawful what God has declared unlawful. 2nd, by committing the
      > idolatry of self-worship, seeking pleasure (self-pleasing
      hedonism) as
      > the chief end of man. 3rd, by taking God's name in vain by using
      > (profaning) the sexual faculty apart from the only lawful, God-
      > context of marriage. 4th, when committed on the Lord's day, a
      > double-offence, consisting not only of the sin committed but also
      > sin of profaning the one holy day which God has authorized and
      > sanctified. 5th, by rejecting lawful authority (aka God's
      > whether it is parents, church officers or civil magistrates who
      > these sins. 6th, in destroying the body and bodies of others by
      > exposure to the risks associated with promiscuity (ie: disease).
      7th, by