Catholic Church relative to Baptism validity and the Church Visible

  • Whit
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2006
      I am in the r-f-w forum and took part in a debate over the validity
      of Catholic Baptism and whether or not the Catholic Church is part
      of the Church Visible. It gets into what is called Catabaptism. I
      am hoping that I am representing Knox, Calvin, and the Covnenanters
      correctly.

      I am making the distinction between essence and well-being.
      Although the CC is a false church in well-being, I am arguing from
      the WCF (and thereby the Covenanters who attended the Westminster
      Assembly), Knox, Calvin, and Hodge that the Catholic Church gives
      valid Baptism and thus Catholics coming into the Reformed
      Presbyterian churches don't need to be catabaptized. The CC would
      seem an essentially true church because of those among them
      professing the True Christian Religion together with their covenant
      children. Further, WCF and Scripture cites the antiChrist as being
      within the temple of God (the Church). Knox also and seemingly
      rightly reasons that Catholic Baptism is valid and not to be
      repeated and thus does not necessitate Catabaptism. Hence, it would
      seem that the CC is still part of the Church Visible and thus, as
      Hodge notes "Is the Church of Rome still part of the Church
      Visible?", retains the integrity (and thus the validity) of Baptism.

      Whit