[Covenanted Reformation] Re: Covenanter Groups

  • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 11, 2006

      Thank you for correcting me on his name. That is correct, Fred,
      not Frank! Mea Culpa. Puritan Reformed Church is an independant
      Presbyterian Church not far from Westminster Seminary West. I
      attended there (months before Rev. DiLella came) while in transition
      from the PCA (Yorba Linda) to the OPC (S.F.) on the recommendation
      of Richard Bacon (who was the person that helped me see the truth of
      Exclusive Psalmody via e-mails). Their former pastor was Rev.
      Wallace (cannot recall his first name) then he retired but before he
      did they had called Rev. DiLella to the pulpit, KNOWING he was a
      Covenanter, then ran him out. They (last I checked) are without a
      TE at present and only have three REs. Rev. Wallace was at one time
      a part of the OPC.

      Edgar Ibarra

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, trygvesson@a...
      > In a message dated 1/11/2006 4:36:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > puritanpresbyterian@y... writes:
      > "Concerning Jim Dodson Ginny has answered you. He is just a
      layman. Why he
      > did not join the PRCE/RPNA i the past, I personally do not know.
      > Someone/body else here may have the answer. Derek Edwards, if I
      remember correctly is
      > alone with one layman, that is the last I heard. Frank DiLella,
      received and
      > took a call at the Puritan Reformed Church in San Diego years
      > Just an FYI, it is Rev Fred DiLella and not "Frank." I had my
      first semester
      > of Greek with Rev DiLella at Christ College back in 1997. Though
      I strongly
      > disagreed with his practical independency, he was helpful, fun to
      talk with,
      > and seemed like a nice fellow.
      > What is the "Puritan Reformed Church in San Diego?" Are they part
      of a
      > presbytery, associated with anyone, or are they independant?
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      > Christopher Coombes
      > Lynchburg Reformed Presbyterian Fellowship,
      > Lynchburg, VA
      > Member, Triangle RPC
      > RPCNA
      > _
      > / )
      > (\__/) ( (
      > ) ( ) )
      > ={ }= / /
      > ) `-------/ /
      > ( /
      > \ |
      > ,'\ , ,'
      > `-'\ ,---\ | \
      > _) ) `. \ /
      > (__/ ) )
      > (_/
    • forisraelssake
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 21, 2006

        I see better now what Christopher's point was all along. It is not
        that we have (like in Bacon's church) a practice of differing
        requirements for the Lord's supper depending on whether you are a
        member, elder, or non-member, but that we have a distinction between a
        member of our church and a member who has sustained their examination
        to come to the Lord's supper. Whether we have erred in this respect or
        not, I am not certain.

        But I do know that if you allow children of members to be considered
        members of our church and under the love, fellowship, oversight, and
        discipline of the church, and able to be baptized, and receive family
        visits by the elders, all while being in a state of ignorance and not
        able to sustain their examination to come to the Lord's table...

        then it seems that as long as a person is like a child in the faith,
        even though in secular respects an adult, they can be members of a
        church but not ready to come to the Lord's table and partake on the
        sacrament. An obedient child lives a blameless life, and is working
        towards attaining the knowledge and understanding needing to come
        worthily to the Lord's supper; the seeking of that state is a moral
        duty of all Christians.

        "I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it."
        1 Corinthians 3:2

        "For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to
        teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need
        milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in
        the word of righteousness, since he is a child." Hebrews 5:12-13

        Christ's elders have to minister to all sorts of people, the weaker
        and the stronger, and the children on the one hand and the men in the
        faith on the other. Maybe this won't satisfy you, especially if you
        think historical testimony of the Church of Scotland in her faithful
        days is against us. And maybe the RPNA has erred and needs to reform.
        But I don't totally see that.

        Can a recent adult convert out of heathenism be baptized and under the
        authority of the elders without being a member of the church? It
        doesn't make much sense to me. But surely we don't withhold baptism
        or formal elder oversight until the person is brought up to speed on
        the Reformation from Popery, the Westminster Standards, the nature and
        practice of covenanting, and why our church keeps itself separate from
        all the denominations? It seems pretty clear to me that the church
        takes these people in as like unto children and trains them up in the
        way they should go.

        Hope this helps.

        Edmonton, AB

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, gmw