Re: Covenanter Groups

  • nodelink7
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 7, 2006
      > 1. How many different "Covenanter" groups are there (i.e. groups
      which hold to the binding obligation of the Solemn League and Covenant)?

      OK, Sean. I think you're asking about what's the difference among the
      people behind:

      -covenanter.org
      -truecoveanter.com
      -reformedpresbytery.org
      -Any other covenanter groups holding to the binding obligation of the SL&C

      If it can be made public knowledge and discussed in an edifying way,
      does anyone have answers on this to share?

      > 2. What are the reasons for these "Covenanter" groups maintaining a
      > distinct and separate existence from each other?

      > 3. How do these distinct communions give support to the claims
      of "Covenanters," when groups agreeing with each other on the binding
      obligation of the Solemn League and Covenant (a document claimed to be
      the most perfect vehicle of visible church unity) cannot maintain
      visible church unity with each other on that basis?

      > -Sean
      >

      > P.S.: Hi GG.

      Of course, I could ask what are the reasons for the RPCNA, PCA, OPC,
      RCUS, and other NAPARC reformed presbyterian denominations maintaining
      distinct and separate church courts from each other. If the
      differences among them are sinful, why do they take communion
      together? If the differences among them are not sinful, why do they
      maintain separate existences?

      Other questions are: How can the disunity among covenanter reformed
      presbyterians be healed? How can the disunity and backsliding among
      non-covenanter reformed presbyterians be healed?

      Yes, may there be "glory in the church by Christ Jesus"(Eph 3:21) and
      may we all indeed "come in the unity of the faith, and of the
      knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of
      the stature of the fulness of Christ" (Eph 4:13).

      Greg G.
    • forisraelssake
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 21, 2006
        Guys,

        I see better now what Christopher's point was all along. It is not
        that we have (like in Bacon's church) a practice of differing
        requirements for the Lord's supper depending on whether you are a
        member, elder, or non-member, but that we have a distinction between a
        member of our church and a member who has sustained their examination
        to come to the Lord's supper. Whether we have erred in this respect or
        not, I am not certain.

        But I do know that if you allow children of members to be considered
        members of our church and under the love, fellowship, oversight, and
        discipline of the church, and able to be baptized, and receive family
        visits by the elders, all while being in a state of ignorance and not
        able to sustain their examination to come to the Lord's table...

        then it seems that as long as a person is like a child in the faith,
        even though in secular respects an adult, they can be members of a
        church but not ready to come to the Lord's table and partake on the
        sacrament. An obedient child lives a blameless life, and is working
        towards attaining the knowledge and understanding needing to come
        worthily to the Lord's supper; the seeking of that state is a moral
        duty of all Christians.

        "I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it."
        1 Corinthians 3:2

        "For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to
        teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need
        milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in
        the word of righteousness, since he is a child." Hebrews 5:12-13

        Christ's elders have to minister to all sorts of people, the weaker
        and the stronger, and the children on the one hand and the men in the
        faith on the other. Maybe this won't satisfy you, especially if you
        think historical testimony of the Church of Scotland in her faithful
        days is against us. And maybe the RPNA has erred and needs to reform.
        But I don't totally see that.

        Can a recent adult convert out of heathenism be baptized and under the
        authority of the elders without being a member of the church? It
        doesn't make much sense to me. But surely we don't withhold baptism
        or formal elder oversight until the person is brought up to speed on
        the Reformation from Popery, the Westminster Standards, the nature and
        practice of covenanting, and why our church keeps itself separate from
        all the denominations? It seems pretty clear to me that the church
        takes these people in as like unto children and trains them up in the
        way they should go.

        Hope this helps.

        Chris
        Edmonton, AB
        RPNA

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, gmw
        <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

        > Christopher,
        >
        > I'm not in the RPNA, and as I mentioned in previous posts, I don't
        quite
        > understand their position on the two-tiered membership (I've been
        > pointed towards materials to read, which I'll get to when I have
        time).
        > I do know that in the past, RP's have given out tokens to those who
        have
        > been examined and found worthy of partaking. This assumes that some
        > members may not be admitted to the Lord's Table for reasons touched on
        > in the Catechism questions provided. But outside of that, I guess I
        > have the same question that you have. What is this initial membership
        > that is not communicant membership? Is it like being a Catechumen in
        > the early church? I'm still trying to figue this all out myself.
        >
        > gmw.
        >
        > trygvesson@a... wrote:
        >
        > > *In a message dated 1/21/2006 9:12:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > > raging.calvinist@v... writes:*
        > > "This is why some Churches "fence" the Table, and refrain from
        serving
        > > it to those who are found to be ignorant, scandalous,
        impenitentand/or
        > > hypocrites. To do so, requires some examination.
        > >
        > > gmw."
        > >

        > > *Gerry,*
        > >
        > > *Perhaps you will be able to answer this. Now, I agree with fencing
        > > the table and session controlled communion, and in an age when the
        > > standards of the church are more distinct from other denominations
        and
        > > we do not have similar or duplicate denominations as we do now [take
        > > the RPCNA, RPCS, and the RPCI for example] I agree with close
        communion. *
        > > **
        > > *What I do not understand is, if I am reading recent posts rightly,
        > > how can an adult be interviewed and admitted to membership in the
        RPNA