Re: The Beast of Rome defeated but about to rise again

  • Whit
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2005
      Thanks for the clarification and the wonderful excerpt of history. I
      was referring to Spain's Armada during and after they lost to
      England. España was indeed cruel. I recall that it was a
      evangelistically closed State until the 1970's (the end of the
      Catholic dictator Franco and the restoration of the Catholic
      monarchy). Like Ireland, España has been in the bondage of
      Catholicism for centuries, and I long for both to be free in Christ
      under the Covenanted Reformation.

      Spain, under Felipe II at the time, was also cruel to my Huguenot
      ancestors. When the Edict of Nantes was revoked by Louis XIV, they
      fled France. Some went to Geneva (with Calvin), England, Jamaica,
      and Virginia. Others fled to Florida and established Fort Caroline
      near the mouth of St. John River (near present-day Jacksonville).
      They wanted to live peacefully on their own, but nevertheless, the
      Spanish in nearby St. Augustine saw them as a threat. So, the
      Spanish Menendez marched his soldiers and sailed a warship or two,
      even through a fierce tropical storm, up to Fort Caroline to
      massacre them.

      Whit

      Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@y...> wrote:

      > Whit,
      >
      > That may be so in Ireland. I was speaking about the Kingdom of
      > Spain. In Spain itself, they were jailed, if they were "lucky" or
      > burned. The Spainsh magistrates were methodical. If Rome ever
      had
      > a theocratic kingdom where the Pope was supreme, it was Spain.
      Put
      > it this way, every single day in ever town and city, the
      procession
      > of the host would go throughout the city/town at various times of
      > the day. When this occurred everyone would stop, even inside of
      > public buildings (theaters, government bldgs, etc) and kneel
      towards
      > the street/sound of the trumpet announcing the parade of the
      host.
      > Anyone who did not was arrested and brought to the Spanish
      > Inquisition. Most never made it back out.
      >
      > Just one example as to how Rome flushed out Protestants in
      Spain.
      > So most Protestant Spainards fled Spain to other countries, mainly
      > Protestant countries and never returned to Spain and of course
      > intermarried with the locals. There is no extant evidence of
      > Protestants IN Spain as late as the 1580's per Thomas M'Crie on
      > forward until the abolition of the Inquisition in the mid 1800's.
      >
      > Rage Against the Beast,
      >
      > Edgar Ibarra
      >
      > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Whit"
      > <covie_pres.1646@v...> wrote:
      > >
      > > My understanding of the Spanish in Ireland is slightly
      different.
      > > From several Irish I spoke to, there were some parts where the
      > > Spanish were killed outright, but there were other parts where
      the
      > > Irish did not kill them but allowed them to settle and
      intermarry.

      > > Whit
      > >

      > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Edgar A.
      Ibarra
      > > Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@y...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Dear brethren,
      > > >
      > > > As you read the below, also remember that the Protestant
      > > Reformation in Spain was short lived and there is NO record
      > > whatsoever of ANY Protestant living in Spain after 1588 (or
      > > thereabouts). The Spanish counter-reformation was the most
      > > successful battle against Protestantism that Rome ever had.
      > > >
      > > > THE PROVIDENTIAL GLORIOUS SINKING
      > > > OF THE SPANISH ARMADA
      > > >
      > > > I choose to set aside ALL restraint in this discussion. The
      > > treacherous and bloody hand of Popery, along with virtually 100%
      > of
      > > Roman Catholics then living in the late 1500s, is beyond
      > description
      > > in civilized company. The Pope and Philip II of Spain were
      bastard
      > > mongrel pigs (Hebrews 12:8)-- Porci Del Diablo. No period of
      > human
      > > history has ever seen the horrors of mindless death and hell on
      > > earth like that hatched by the Vatican against Reformed Europe
      and
      > > England.
      > > > We know very well that the adversary, Satan on his throne in
      the
      > > pig pen of the Vatican, was sensing that if God the Holy Spirit
      > were
      > > to have continued liberty in England, the Protestants would rule
      > the
      > > civilized world. Why? Answer: Even though the Roman Catholic
      heart
      > > is filthy as a sewer, still, there is a longing to be free.
      Christ
      > > makes men free, and Satan knew that his infernal Romanist
      > servants,
      > > the Jesuits, could not prevent the most lowly bloodthirsty
      peasant
      > > in Spain from defecting to Jesus Christ if the Gospel ever got
      > free
      > > reign in the world.
      > > >
      > > > Who could do this? Answer: Those plodding, persistent, and
      > > pernicious Englishmen. We see that this is precisely what
      happed
      > > hundred years later as the English missionaries went to the
      whole
      > > world with the Gospel. Their zeal is unmatched in the annals of
      > the
      > > Church Age. Men like Moffet, Livingston, CT Stud, and George
      > Mueller
      > > would give all for Christ WITHOUT the sword of that old Taurus
      > > Fundiator in the Vatican to protect them.
      > > >
      > > > We now give an excerpt from the book, "Final Authority" by
      > William
      > > P. Grady. This is taken from pages 203 to 206:
      > > >
      > > > ______________
      > > >
      > > > With the death of Martin Luther in 1546, his spiritual
      > descendants
      > > were set upon by a reviving Catholicism in the Schmalkald War of
      > > 1547. After suffering an initial defeat, the Protestant forces
      > were
      > > rallied by Maurice of Saxony with the resultant Treaty of Passau
      > > (1552) temporarily securing Lutheran freedoms.
      > > >
      > > > The Huguenot Wars in France began in 1560 and raged
      > intermittently
      > > until religious toleration was finally wanted through the Edict
      of
      > > Nantes in 1598.
      > > >
      > > > In 1567, the notorious Duke of Alva arrived in the Netherlands
      > > suppress heresy on behalf of Philip H of Spain. The bloodletting
      > of
      > > this campaign was so rampant that a houseful of Dutch Christians
      > in
      > > Rotterdam was spared when one of their own created a ruse by
      > slaying
      > > a goat and sweeping the blood underneath the bolted doors into
      the
      > > street.
      > > >
      > > > However, campaigns such as these were mere child's play when
      > > compared to the suffering of the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648).
      > > Fought mainly in Germany, the antagonists consisted of several
      > > German princes backed by the Protestant powers of Sweden,
      Denmark,
      > > France and England against the Catholic House of Hapsburg which
      > > controlled, in addition to The Holy Roman Empire, Spain,
      Austria,
      > > Bohemia, Hungary, most of Italy and the Southern Netherlands.
      > > >
      > > > The ubiquitous "Jesuit Connection" was surmised by Newman who
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > The house of Hapsburg, in its Austrian branch, by the close of
      > the
      > > sixteenth century, had come strongly under the influence of the
      > > Jesuits. As Archduke of Styria (1596 onward), Ferdinand, who as
      > > emperor was to play so prominent a part throughout the Thirty
      > Years'
      > > War, carried out remorselessly the Jesuit policy in which he had
      > > been schooled from infancy by prohibiting Protestant worship,
      > > banishing the Protestant clergy, and placing before Protestant
      > > laymen the alternative of conversion or exile.
      > > >
      > > > Throughout these intolerant years, Ferdinand's conscience was
      > > salved by his Jesuit confessor Viller.
      > > >
      > > > Although the historic Peace of Westphalia, concluded in 1648,
      > was
      > > essentially a victory for Protestantism, the overall loss from
      war-
      > > related extractions was incalculable. Newman summarizes the
      Jesuit-
      > > induced holocaust:
      > > >
      > > > The extent of the destruction of life through the Thirty
      Years'
      > > War cannot be estimated. If we take into account the multitudes
      > who
      > > died of starvation and exposure, the hundreds of thousands of
      > women
      > > and children who were slain in the sacking and destroying of the
      > > towns and cities, the fearful waste of life that must have been
      > > involved in camp-- following, the deaths caused by the war would
      > > amount to many millions. In Bohemia, at the beginning of the
      war,
      > > there was a population of two million, of whom about eight-
      tenths
      > > were Protestant; at the close of the war there were about eight
      > > hundred thousand Catholics and no Protestants. Taking Germany
      and
      > > Austria together, we may safely say that the population was
      > reduced
      > > by one-half, if not by two- thirds. And the deaths were in most
      > > cases the result of untold sufferings and as horrible as we can
      > > conceive. So far as the cities and towns were not utterly
      > destroyed,
      > > they were the mere shadows of what they had been. Their
      buildings
      > > were dilapidated and large numbers of them unoccupied. Business
      of
      > > all kinds had been almost entirely destroyed. Agriculture had
      > > equally suffered. Livestock had been almost exterminated;
      farming
      > > implements had become scarce and rude. Desolation was everywhere.
      > > >
      > > > However, because of the inevitable westward expansion of
      > > civilization, England's culture loomed ever larger as the
      Jesuits'
      > > primary target of conquest. In 1569 the Vatican agent, William
      > > Allen, established a college in Douai (then in the Spanish
      > > Netherlands), and a second school in Rome ten years later for
      the
      > > training of Jesuit missionaries to Britain. Allen set forth his
      > > goals in a passionate manner:
      > > >
      > > > We make it our first and foremost study. . . to stir up in the
      > > minds of Catholics . . . zeal and just indignation against the
      > > heretics. This we do by setting before the eyes of the students
      > the
      > > exceeding majesty of the ceremonial of the Catholic Church in
      the
      > > place where we live . . . At the same time we recall the
      mournful
      > > contrast that obtains at home: the utter desolation of all
      things
      > > sacred which there exists . . . our friends and kinsfolk, all
      our
      > > dear ones, and countless souls besides, perishing in schism and
      > > godlessness; every jail and dungeon filled to overflowing, not
      > with
      > > thieves and villains but with Christ's priests and servants,
      nay,
      > > with our parents and kinsmen. There is nothing, then, that we
      > ought
      > > not to suffer, rather than to look on at the ills that affect
      our
      > > nation.
      > > > The capture of Douai by Calvinist troops in 1578 sent the
      Jesuit
> [...]
      > > confession; in the morning, they would preach and give
      communion,
      > > then they would disappear as mysteriously as they had arrived.
      > > >
      > > > Green adds that their many disguises included "the cassock of
      > the
      > > English Clergy."
      > > >
      > > > It has been estimated that they won over 20,000 converts
      within
      > > year of their arrival. However, their circulated literature
      > > encouraging the assassination of Elizabeth brought their English
      > > mission to an abrupt end. Although Parsons escaped to the
      > > Continent, "Father" Campion was captured and confined to the
      > Tower,
      > > where he was "racked" severely to elicit the names of additional
      > > conspirators. On the following day when his jailor asked him how
      > he
      > > felt, the exhausted Jesuit replied, "Not ill, because not at
      > all."On
      > > December 1, 1581, he and fourteen others were publicly hanged.
      > > >
      > > > In 1583, Pope Gregory XIII formulated a plan to invade England
      > > with three armies at once those of Ireland, France and Spain.
      > > Providentially, the Queen's agents discovered the plot and
      > effective
      > > counter-measures caused a postponement of the attack.
      > > >
      > > > Three years later, another Jesuit, John Ballard, was arrested
      > for
      > > conspiring to bring Mary Stuart to the throne via a general
      > uprising
      > > of England's Catholics. He and thirteen others were hanged and
      > then
      > > brought down from the gibbet alive to be dismembered and
      > > disemboweled (torn limb from trunk). Sixty-one priests and
      forty-
      > > nine laymen would be hung for conspiracy over the next fifteen
      > > years.
      > > >
      > > > With friends like these, Mary Stuart needed few enemies. The
      > > intensified Jesuit activity eventually cost the would-be queen
      her
      > > head in 1587. Only weeks after her momentous execution, Pope
      > Sixtus
      > > V pledged 600,000 gold crowns to King Philip's military coffers
      > for
      > > the financing of an immediate invasion of England. In the words
      of
      > > Cardinal Mien, Britain's "usurping, heretic, prostitute" queen
      > must
      > > surely be deposed.
      > > >
      > > > On the morning of May 29, 1588, over 27,050 sailors and
      soldiers
      > > set sail from Lisbon's harbor aboard some 130 vessels sporting
      an
      > > average weight of 445 tons the largest fleet in maritime annals
      > > that time.
      > > >
      > > > The destruction of the Protestant religion was perceived as an
      > > intensely spiritual mission. The campaign's official banner
      > > read, "Exurge, Domine, et Vindica Causam Tuam,, - "Arise, 0
      Lord,
      > > and vindicate thy cause." Indeed, "revival" had broken out
      during
      > > the final stages of departure; prostitutes were expelled
      gambling
      > > curtailed and profanity was reduced to a minimum. A high mass
      was
      > > celebrated and to a man, the Eucharist had been reverently
      > received.
      > > Several hundred monks were among the passengers.
      > > >
      > > > On duly 19th, the vanguard of Spain's invincible armada was
      > > spotted. A mere thirty-four warships and fifty-eight support
      > vessels
      > > under the command of Charles, Lord Howard, assisted by Sir
      Francis
      > > Drake prepared to engage her. What happened next has constituted
      > one
      > > of the most remarkable displays of Divine intervention in all of
      > > recorded history.
      > > >
      > > > The year before, Drake had led a surprise attack on the
      Spanish
      > > ships in Cddiz Harbor and discovered firsthand the Armada's
      > > construction project. Having been reared in the home of a
      Puritan
      > > minister, the undaunted "P.K." assured his Queen:
      > > >
      > > > God increase your most excellent Majesty's forces both by sea
      > and
      > > land daily, ... for this I surely think: there was never any
      force
      > > so strong as there is now ready or making ready against your
      > Majesty
      > > and true religion; but . . . the Lord of all strengths is
      stronger
      > > and will defend the truth of his Word.
      > > >
      > > > Outmaneuvered by the smaller British vessels, the Spanish
      > admiral,
      > > Medina-Sidonia, wrote in desperation:
      > > >
      > > > The enemy pursue me, they fire on me from morn till dark, but
      > they
      > > will not grapple . . . There is no remedy, for they are swift
      and
      > we
      > > are slow.
      > > >
      > > > Sustaining over 8,000 casualties on the twenty-seventh alone,
      > > Medina-Sidonia had had enough! However, the Northern seas would
      > > devour many thousands more along the stormy route of retreat.
      > Twenty-
      > > three ships were wrecked off the rocky coast of Ireland alone.
      > Over
      > > 1,100 drowned Spaniards were washed up on the beach of Sligo.
      And
      > > those who made it to the shore alive had their throats cut by
      the
      > > Kernes (poorer class of Irishmen).
      > > >
      > > > Only fifty-one ships bearing 10,000 survivors were able to
      limp
      > > back to Spain. The Jesuit-educated Durant could only say
      > that, "The
      > > winds favored Elizabeth." However, a total count of English
      losses
      > > placed at 60 men and 0 ships would divert the attention of sober
      > men
      > > to Him Who "createth the wind." (Amos 4:13) Not a single hole
      was
      > > made below any English waterline!
      > > >
      > > > With the Armada's crushing defeat driving Philip into
      isolation
      > (a
      > > papal reneging on the 600,000 crowns not helping matters any), a
      > > major Jesuit project would emerge as the Vatican's last resort
      and
      > > ultimate secret weapon.
      > > >
      > > > I now continue the flow of William Grady's book as it
      continues
      > on
      > > the page at this point. I note that Grady saw, and described
      > next,
      > > what The Roman Pontiffs did to move from open attack to subtle
      > > subterfuge. And, friends, it worked. We now see 95% of
      > Christendom
      > > running into the arms of Papa Roma. Read and weep.
      > > >
      > > > Heretofore, the success of English Protestantism had been
      > clearly
      > > attributable to her possession of God's Word in the vernacular.
      In
      > > 1582, Rome gave tacit endorsement to the adage, "If you can't
      beat
      > > them, join them" by producing her own English version of the New
      > > Testament as rendered by the Jesuit scholars at Reims (the Old
      > > Testament was completed in Douai and published in 1610).
      > > >
      > > > Such a proclivity for momentary pragmatism has remained one of
      > the
      > > Order's most distinguishable traits, Newman stating:
      > > >
      > > > As a means of winning back Protestant communities to the
      > Catholic
      > > faith, they gave the utmost attention to the cultivation of the
      > > preaching gifts among the members and used every device
      suggested
      > by
      > > Protestant worship or otherwise for the popularization of the
      > church
      > > services.
      > > > At this point, it is important to realize that the Pope's new
      > > Bible was not issued to help Catholics, but rather to hurt
      > > Christians. All good papists were still obliged to adhere
      > > religiously to the official Tridentine Profession of Faith
      (1564)
      > > which read, in part:
      > > >
      > > > I acknowledge the sacred Scripture according to that sense
      which
      > > Holy Mother Church has held and holds, to whom it belongs to
      > decide
      > > upon the true sense and interpretation of the holy Scriptures,
      nor
      > > will I ever receive and interpret the Scripture except according
      > > the unanimous consent of the fathers.
      > > > As stated in an earlier chapter, it was this author's
      experience
      > > to spend twenty-two years in the Catholic church (including
      twelve
      > > years of parochial school) without ever reading a single verse
      out
      > > of the church's official Bible.
      > > >
      > > > The Douay-Rheims "Bible" was a translation of the Latin
      Vulgate
      > > and therefore contained the multiplied perversities of Vaticanus
      > and
      > > Sinaiticus. With education as their forte, the Jesuits would
      > > henceforth seek to undermine the Authorized Version with an
      appeal
      > > to superior manuscripts, superior being determined by age. Dr.
      > Gipp
      > > writes:
      > > >
      > > > The Jesuits' task was to entice Protestant scholarship back to
      > > Rome. They knew that they could not wean the leaders of
      > > Protestantism back into Rome as long as the stubborn "heretics"
      > > clung to the pure text of the Reformers. This Bible would have
      > he
      > > replaced with one which contained the pro-Roman Catholic
      readings
      > of
      > > Jerome's Vulgate and the Jesuit translation of 1582. It would be
      > > necessary to "educate" the Protestant scholars to believe that
      > their
      > > Reformation Text was unreliable and that their Authorized
      Version
      > > was "not scholarly." Once thus programmed, the egotistical
      > scholars
      > > would spontaneously attack their own Bible and believe that they
      > > were helping God.
      > > >
      > > > The impressive-sounding designation conferred upon this
      process
      > of
      > > scrutinizing the preserved Word of God became known as
      > the "science
      > > of textual criticism." Contrary to common belief, higher
      criticism
      > > did not begin with German rationalists but with
      Jesuit "fathers"!

      > > > The first scholar to employ "scientific methods" to the so-
      > called
      > > textual and literary problems of the Bible was a Catholic priest
      > by
      > > the name of Richard Simon (1638-1712). The Oxford Dictionary
      > states:
      > > >
      > > > Biblical scholar. From 1662 to 1678 he was a member of the
      > French
      > > Oratory. His Histoire Criticquedu Vieux Testament (1678),
      arguing
      > > from the existence of duplicate accounts of the same incident
      and
      > > variations of style, denied that Moses was the author of the
      > > Pentateuch. He is generally regarded as the founder of Old
      > Testament
      > > criticism.
      > > > Notice how the Oxford editors completely skirted Simon's
      > Catholic
      > > credentials. For the record, "Father" Richard gained his liberal
      > > insights from the unsaved Jewish philosopher, Baruch Spinoza
      (1632-
      > > 1677).
      > > >
      > > > We conclude in noting that the day is coming very soon when
      > Roman
      > > Catholics worldwide will again drink the blood of the saints.
      > > Already, the Jesuits in South America are burning Christians,
      > their
      > > churches, and Bibles. Already, Irish Catholics blast men,
      women,
      > > and babies into eternity in the name of Os Porci in the
      Vatican.