Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Reformation Art - A Major Update

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 10, 2005
      I wish I could make the claim! Alas, it was not on purpose.

      "It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

      gmw.

      Larry Bump wrote:

      > I thought you did it on purpose, myself. Thought it was a pretty good
      > joke,
      > too.

    • Andrew Moody
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 10, 2005
        Thanks for the clarification, and the amicable reply.

        I am aware of the Reformer's use of strong rhetoric. I'm not
        accusing you of this, but I've had discussions with several
        individuals over the past years who bring it up only to justify
        their slanderous and schismatic use of their tongues.

        The Reformers were not without sin, although I thank God for their
        strength and resolve during particularly perilous times. However,
        their fight was within the church. In my sinfulness, I need
        constant reminder to do as Paul instructed in Col 4:5-6,
        "Conduct yourselves wisely(1 )toward outsiders, making the best use
        of the time. 6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with
        salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."

        I feel my previous post was not "well-seasoned", and for that I
        apologize and ask your forgiveness.

        With regard to Linda, I understand the awkwardness of the situation,
        peer pressure, etc.. However, I am not convinced (as it appears you
        all are) that sharing family time on December 25 is Satanic. I do
        not believe that December 25 is "Jesus' Birthday", I merely said
        some celebrate the incarnation on that day, to which I added, we
        should be doing year round. However, I do not think it inherently
        evil to do so, and I believe that Christ's people can celebrate his
        birth in good conscience.

        I have no desire to get into a debate over a matter where you
        already have made up your mind. Moreover, I don't have the time to
        do so.

        However, to Linda. I, differing from others on this list would
        counsel you to enjoy your time with your family, and not spend it
        with guilt and loathing. Moreover, look to your spiritual ancestors
        in Scotland who had much greater struggles to endure. Let them be
        an example of faithfulness despite suffering, even to the martyr's
        tomb. Moreover, look to Christ who for the joy set before him
        endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right
        hand of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility
        against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In
        your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of
        shedding your blood. (Hebrews 12:3-4).

        Take heart dear sister, Christ has overcome the world!

        May the Lord bless you all, and may we all be blessed by the means
        of grace he has provided, primarily the preaching of his Word that
        we are to have hte privelage of sitting under (and proclaiming for
        some of us) tomorrow on His Sabbath.

        By His Grace,
        Andrew Moody

        <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

        > No doubt others will speak for themselves concerning those things
        > spoken of them. I shall address one thing concerning a thing
        spoken
        > of me, after making some other comments:
        >
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Moody"
        > <moodyclan@g...> wrote:
        >
        > > Meanwhile Linda is allowed to buy into such rampant Paganism and
        > > support her children and grandchildren in it. Please show a
        little
        > > consistency.
        >
        > A poor woman suffering through X-Mass celebrations that make her
        > cringe, because she is subjected to those things by other members
        of
        > her family, doing things that grieve her conscience not knowing
        what
        > else to do in her difficult situation,
        >
        > and,
        >
        > Someone pitching a Christmas sale, which can be nothing else but
        using
        > this holiday to get in the money changing done in Christ's name,
        >
        > are not one and the same thing, and so showing pity towards one,
        and
        > overturning the tables of the other, is not to show
        inconsistency. At
        > least I don't see how it is.
        >
        > > Flat out, it was not an advertisement for Christmas. It was an
        > > advertisement for Presbyterian and Reformed historical artwork.
        >
        > Some of it is very nice work, by the way.
        >
        > > However, if people use this time of year to
        > > get their families together to celebrate the incarnation (which
        we
        > > do every Sunday), I don't see a reason to berate them for it.
        >
        > Who told you it was Jesus' birthday? Where did you get the idea to
        > celebrate the incarnation of Christ in a special way on December
        25th?

        > > Moreover, I wouldn't teach my children to disrespect strangers
        in
        > > the mall by calling them "trolls", in the same way I wouldn't
        have
        > > them calling people "faggots" or "papist hell-mongors."
        >
        > Read what I wrote again, and perhaps this time it might be
        apparent to
        > you that the reference to the troll, was to those who dress up like
        > fat ELVES and lie to children about being omniscient and
        omnipresent
        > and able to fulfill their wishes. THAT is who I am instructing my
        > children to refer to as a troll, which is not far off from an elf,
        > only less cuddly and loveable in connotation.
        >
        > Concerning the other epitomes you brought up, I would suggest that
        > there are times when those titles are duly used. For example,
        Calvin
        > (that man you have pictures of at your website), in oh so many
        sermons
        > of his, frequently calls the Pope, "his shavelings," and the
        Romanish
        > Church things like beasts, devils, people possessed by the devil,
        > AntiChrist, dogs, pigs, "a very harlot", and the like. Of course,
        he
        > does so in Christian love to his people, warning them of their
        > diabolical wickednesses.
        >
        > > I seriously doubt that name-
        > > calling and putting up "Christmas Declarations" (however nice
        they
        > > may be) is going to help bring anyone to the truth.
        >
        > The Reformed and Presbyterian churches, in their purest times,
        > declared what God's word says about humanly devised pagan
        holidays. I
        > have typed some of those things up, and if the professing
        Christians
        > in my office begin to participate in pagan idolatry BY DECORATING
        MY
        > DESK, I'm going to hang up the declarations that, oddly enough, DO
        > PRODUCE ENGAGING AND PATIENT CONVERSATIONS. Sitting there with my
        > mouth shut while people hang lights and junk around MY DESK does
        > NOTHING by make it appear that I agree with their pagan merry-
        making
        > in the name of my King and Savior.
        >
        > > Well, that's my 2 cents worth. You can get back to your
        bickering
        > > now.
        >
        > There was not bickering going on about this particular topic.
        We've