Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Re: Reformation Art - A Major Update

  • Larry Bump
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 10, 2005
      I thought you did it on purpose, myself. Thought it was a pretty good joke,
      too.

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 10, 2005
        I wish I could make the claim! Alas, it was not on purpose.

        "It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

        gmw.

        Larry Bump wrote:

        > I thought you did it on purpose, myself. Thought it was a pretty good
        > joke,
        > too.

      • Andrew Moody
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 10, 2005
          Thanks for the clarification, and the amicable reply.

          I am aware of the Reformer's use of strong rhetoric. I'm not
          accusing you of this, but I've had discussions with several
          individuals over the past years who bring it up only to justify
          their slanderous and schismatic use of their tongues.

          The Reformers were not without sin, although I thank God for their
          strength and resolve during particularly perilous times. However,
          their fight was within the church. In my sinfulness, I need
          constant reminder to do as Paul instructed in Col 4:5-6,
          "Conduct yourselves wisely(1 )toward outsiders, making the best use
          of the time. 6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with
          salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person."

          I feel my previous post was not "well-seasoned", and for that I
          apologize and ask your forgiveness.

          With regard to Linda, I understand the awkwardness of the situation,
          peer pressure, etc.. However, I am not convinced (as it appears you
          all are) that sharing family time on December 25 is Satanic. I do
          not believe that December 25 is "Jesus' Birthday", I merely said
          some celebrate the incarnation on that day, to which I added, we
          should be doing year round. However, I do not think it inherently
          evil to do so, and I believe that Christ's people can celebrate his
          birth in good conscience.

          I have no desire to get into a debate over a matter where you
          already have made up your mind. Moreover, I don't have the time to
          do so.

          However, to Linda. I, differing from others on this list would
          counsel you to enjoy your time with your family, and not spend it
          with guilt and loathing. Moreover, look to your spiritual ancestors
          in Scotland who had much greater struggles to endure. Let them be
          an example of faithfulness despite suffering, even to the martyr's
          tomb. Moreover, look to Christ who for the joy set before him
          endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right
          hand of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility
          against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In
          your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of
          shedding your blood. (Hebrews 12:3-4).

          Take heart dear sister, Christ has overcome the world!

          May the Lord bless you all, and may we all be blessed by the means
          of grace he has provided, primarily the preaching of his Word that
          we are to have hte privelage of sitting under (and proclaiming for
          some of us) tomorrow on His Sabbath.

          By His Grace,
          Andrew Moody

          <raging.calvinist@v...> wrote:

          > No doubt others will speak for themselves concerning those things
          > spoken of them. I shall address one thing concerning a thing
          spoken
          > of me, after making some other comments:
          >
          > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Moody"
          > <moodyclan@g...> wrote:
          >
          > > Meanwhile Linda is allowed to buy into such rampant Paganism and
          > > support her children and grandchildren in it. Please show a
          little
          > > consistency.
          >
          > A poor woman suffering through X-Mass celebrations that make her
          > cringe, because she is subjected to those things by other members
          of
          > her family, doing things that grieve her conscience not knowing
          what
          > else to do in her difficult situation,
          >
          > and,
          >
          > Someone pitching a Christmas sale, which can be nothing else but
          using
          > this holiday to get in the money changing done in Christ's name,
          >
          > are not one and the same thing, and so showing pity towards one,
          and
          > overturning the tables of the other, is not to show
          inconsistency. At
          > least I don't see how it is.
          >
          > > Flat out, it was not an advertisement for Christmas. It was an
          > > advertisement for Presbyterian and Reformed historical artwork.
          >
          > Some of it is very nice work, by the way.
          >
          > > However, if people use this time of year to
          > > get their families together to celebrate the incarnation (which
          we
          > > do every Sunday), I don't see a reason to berate them for it.
          >
          > Who told you it was Jesus' birthday? Where did you get the idea to
          > celebrate the incarnation of Christ in a special way on December
          25th?

          > > Moreover, I wouldn't teach my children to disrespect strangers
          in
          > > the mall by calling them "trolls", in the same way I wouldn't
          have
          > > them calling people "faggots" or "papist hell-mongors."
          >
          > Read what I wrote again, and perhaps this time it might be
          apparent to
          > you that the reference to the troll, was to those who dress up like
          > fat ELVES and lie to children about being omniscient and
          omnipresent
          > and able to fulfill their wishes. THAT is who I am instructing my
          > children to refer to as a troll, which is not far off from an elf,
          > only less cuddly and loveable in connotation.
          >
          > Concerning the other epitomes you brought up, I would suggest that
          > there are times when those titles are duly used. For example,
          Calvin
          > (that man you have pictures of at your website), in oh so many
          sermons
          > of his, frequently calls the Pope, "his shavelings," and the
          Romanish
          > Church things like beasts, devils, people possessed by the devil,
          > AntiChrist, dogs, pigs, "a very harlot", and the like. Of course,
          he
          > does so in Christian love to his people, warning them of their
          > diabolical wickednesses.
          >
          > > I seriously doubt that name-
          > > calling and putting up "Christmas Declarations" (however nice
          they
          > > may be) is going to help bring anyone to the truth.
          >
          > The Reformed and Presbyterian churches, in their purest times,
          > declared what God's word says about humanly devised pagan
          holidays. I
          > have typed some of those things up, and if the professing
          Christians
          > in my office begin to participate in pagan idolatry BY DECORATING
          MY
          > DESK, I'm going to hang up the declarations that, oddly enough, DO
          > PRODUCE ENGAGING AND PATIENT CONVERSATIONS. Sitting there with my
          > mouth shut while people hang lights and junk around MY DESK does
          > NOTHING by make it appear that I agree with their pagan merry-
          making
          > in the name of my King and Savior.
          >
          > > Well, that's my 2 cents worth. You can get back to your
          bickering
          > > now.
          >
          > There was not bickering going on about this particular topic.
          We've