Spurgeon on Christmass?

  • Whit
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2005
      I am well aware of what Spurgeon said on 24/Dec/1871. However, I
      found this link where one, in answer to the 24/Dec/1871 quote, asserts
      that Spurgeon was "was certainly not opposed to celebrating it, and
      actually saw some value in it." Even with that additional information
      there, is Spurgeon still opposed to Christmas along with the other
      Reformers?

      http://www.founders.org/blog/2005/12/spurgeon-on-christmas.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2005
        Spurgeon spoke a good game when it comes to Christ-mass, but
        apparently did not mind doing all kinds of things that look very much
        like Christ-mass on December 25th. This seems to be quite
        inconsistent. To put this is as good a light as is possible,
        however, we should note that Spurgeon spoke pointedly against Christ-
        mass keeping, but, seeing that everyone is prepared to hear the story
        of the nativity in December, he preached on it. Seeing that many are
        ready to exchange gifts and give to charity, he did the same.

        I would that he had not done these things, so that we can see only
        his warnings against Christ-mass keeping, and not his flirting with
        it.

        See also Calvin, who preached a sermon on December 25th on Micah (not
        altering his regular preaching), in which he blasted those who came
        to church because "it is Christmas," calling them poor beasts,
        telling them they think they serve God when they are actually serving
        Satan, yet he tells them if they show up for the regular Lord's Day
        service, they'll hear the nativity story read from Scripture:

        Surely, Calvin (and possibly Spurgeon), would rather that the
        superstition of Dec. 25th be utterly gone forever... but, since it is
        not, they seem to be "throwing them a bone" so to speak. That's how
        I see it anyway.

        gmw.

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Whit"