Re: [Covenanted Reformation] What is skin color?

  • jparnellm@usxchange.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
      Edgar, I would essentially agree with what you write below, but merely expand
      upon it. Specifically your correct statement:

      "In the 1800s, before Darwinian evolution was popularized, most people, when
      talking about `races,' would be referring to such groups as the `English race,'
      `Irish race,' and so on."

      This is a form of "racism", albeit not racism based upon Darwinian evolution.
      The question is this: is any form of this "racism" Biblically justified? It is
      closely tied with this question: can national preservation (and by national I
      mean ethnic, cultural, etc.) ever be Biblically justified?

      Let me give examples where some of my ancestors were part of the immigrants:

      1. Should the (Christianized) Britons have been morally compelled to allow
      (pagan) Anglo-Saxons to immigrate to Britain in the period pre 600 AD?

      2. Should the primarily Anglocized Americans have been morally compelled to
      allow Irish to immigrate to America in the 18th-19th century?

      3. Should the Spanish/Mexicans have been morally compelled to allow Anglos from
      the USA to immigrate to Texas pre-1836?

      Here would be some pertinent more contemporary questions:

      1. Should the Afrikaaners of South Africa been allowed to form an Afrikaaner
      state **if** they had **fairly** divided South Africa into various states
      (Zulu, Xhosa, Afrikaaner, etc.)?

      2. Should the Jews be allowed a separate state of Israel?

      3. Should the Palestinians be allowed a separate state?

      4. Should England, France, etc have felt morally compelled to take in
      substantial numbers of immigrants from the former colonies, including many
      immigrants who were Muslim?

      Let's pretend (though I think one day it will be a reality) a reformed world.
      Will nations be allowed, each covenanted to Christ, of having certain
      unique dominant ethnic and cultural characteristics on matters that are not
      immoral (eg, England speak English and eat fish&chips, but Mexico speak Spanish
      and eat salsa)? Or should such be obliterated, with each nation being a
      melting pot of all the other nations?

      I'll briefly give my opinion: No Protestant or even predominantly Protestant
      nation should ever allow non-Protestants to immigrate into it, based upon a
      melting pot argument. The worldwide brotherhood in Christ does not imply a
      nation has to allow foreigners of another race and religion to become citizens.
      Indeed, the Roman Catholic Church is using immigration to de-Protestantize
      countries, and those are being called racial bigots who object to this Romish
      strategy.

      - Parnell McCarter