Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Foxe's Book of Martyrs

  • berean1993
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27 3:19 PM
      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Linda A"
      <blwkk@b...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the link. In case anyone would like to not have to read
      from the
      > computer screen,
      > I found it last summer on http://www.abebooks.com/ for a couple of
      > I just looked again and there are several starting at $1.00.

      There is confusion over the paperback now in print and the original
      work which is eight volumes.

      FOXE, JOHN, <B>Acts and Monuments or Foxe's Book of Martyrs</B>,
      1554, 8 volumes (Cerlox Bound Photocopy Series and Hardback Bound.
      Edmonton, AB, Canada: <A HREF="http://www.swrb.com/"><B>Still Waters
      Revival Books</B></A>, 1843-49 edition), <A
      HREF="http://wwwlib.umi.com/eebo/"> EEBO.</A><BR>
      Foxe, John, <A
      ou"><B>Facsimile of John Foxe's Book of Martyrs 1583 Actes and
      Monuments of Matters Most Special and Memorable</B></A>, David G.
      Newcombe and Michael Pidd (Oxford University Press; CD-ROM edition,
      September 2001).<BR>
      The above three publications are the original work is 8 volumes.<BR>
      " 'No book ever inflicted a wound so deep and incurable on the Romish
      system of superstition and bloody persecution... (it) was placed
      in... all churches and chapels throughout the kingdom, by order of
      Queen Elizabeth.' (Smith, <I>Select Memoirs</I>, p. 245). Contains
      much information not found in any of the liberally edited and
      severely shortened editions of this classic work which are in print
      today. Covering martyrs from the early church through to Foxe's day,
      it was one of the most influential books of the sixteenth century! It
      overflows with faith building testimony of the power of God to
      overcome the most cruel and barbarous acts of human depravity and
      demonic cruelty. 6890 pages. A very rare set, now back in print after
      150 years!" -- SWRB<BR>
      "After the Bible itself, no book so profoundly influenced early
      Protestant sentiment as the Book of Martyrs. Even in our time it is
      still a living force. It is more than a record of persecution. It is
      an arsenal of controversy, a storehouse of romance, as well as a
      source of edification." -- James Miller Dodds, <I>English
      "When one recollects that until the appearance of the Pilgrim's
      Progress the common people had almost no other reading matter except
      the Bible and Fox's Book of Martyrs, we can understand the deep
      impression that this book produced; and how it served to mold the
      national character. Those who could read for themselves learned the
      full details of all the atrocities performed on the Protestant
      reformers; the illiterate could see the rude illustrations of the
      various instruments of torture, the rack, the gridiron, the boiling
      oil, and then the holy ones breathing out their souls amid the
      flames. Take a people just awakening to a new intellectual and
      religious life; let several generations of them, from childhood to
      old age, pore over such a book, and its stories become traditions as
      individual and almost as potent as songs and customs on a nation's
      life." -- Douglas Campbell, <I>The Puritan in Holland, England, and
      "If we divest the book of its accidental character of feud between
      churches, it yet stands, in the first years of Elizabeth's reign, a
      monument that marks the growing strength of a desire for spiritual
      freedom, defiance of those forms that seek to stifle conscience and
      fetter thought." -- Henry Morley, <I>English Writers</I><BR>
      "John Foxe was a prince among believers. He had his printing press on
      a cart, and had often to print at night, moving his press before dawn
      to escape capture and burning at the stake. He never faltered in his
      purpose to leave a voluminous written witness to the power of the
      Lord Jesus Christ to keep His saints in love and peace." -- Jay P.
      Green, Sr.<BR>
      A Christian classic.<BR>
      <B>Fox's Book of Martyrs,</B> an abridgement edited by William Byron
      <A HREF="http://www.ccel.org/f/foxe_j/martyrs/home.html">
      <B>Foxe's Book of Martyrs</B> an abridgement, edited by William Byron

      I've found