Upholding the obligations found in the SLC.

  • Shawn Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2005

      I understand why the World would not want to promise to believe and practice the True Christian Religion. They hate the yoke of Christ, and the yoke of all His ordinances. What I don't understand is why the Reformed and Presbyterian Churches are so offended at this truth? The Covenants are the very remedy for our society. Medicine is simply a means to God's healing, as the Covenants are the means of medicine to this cancerous society. > >

      >  >

      We cannot advance the lace w:st="on"> lacetype w:st="on">Kingdom lacetype> of lacename w:st="on">Christ lacename> lace> through joining the ranks of pluralism and toleration and pretended fraternal relations, and false unity just so we look good. In other words, Christ's Kingdom is not promoted through manmade ordinances. > >

      >  >

      So Mr. Coombes asks of us Covenanters, "To my point, you are simply incapable of really upholding the SL&C. No, you disagree? Well, how are YOU really and actively upholding the SL&C and NC today? By being the discussion forum police? Do you think that is what the Scots really had in mind, or what the document demands? For an answer, I want more than yet another suggested link or another lengthy cut and paste job in terms of providing mere lip service. If you have the audacity to make the repeated accusations you make against us and continually accuse us as knowing covenant breakers and backsiders, then I think it is entirely fair to turn this around and ask the question, and I want to really know in your own words how YOU and those you know personally in the RPNA are really and actively upholding the SL&C and NC today. Not just lip service on the Internet by being the SL&C e-mail police, but how is this being done on a day to day basis? > >

      What are you doing according to your place and calling, in this common cause of religion, liberty, and peace of the kingdoms, to assist and defend all those that enter into or have entered into the League and Covenant? What are you currently doing for reformation and defense of religion, the honour and happiness of the King, and the peace and safety, of the three kingdoms of Scotland , England , and lace w:st="on">Ireland lace> ? > >

      Answer this honestly for yourself, not using a hermeneutic to interpret the obligations of the covenant that is similar in execution to how the Framework Hypothesis is used by the liberals to interpret Genesis, but really and honestly grammatically historically look at the parties and outlined obligations of the covenant, and explain to me how you actually fulfill those obligations." > >

      >  >

      Let me first say Mr. Coombes, thank you. This was a very helpful exercise. It made me consider all the more my duties to God and man. To even review the faith of our forefathers found in the  Covenant is very encouraging. > >

      >  >

      Secondly, Thank you for your comments in regards to how you uphold the True Religion. I found nothing that I disagree with the steps you have stated to fulfill your moral obligations (though you understand that I might add a few extra obligations). Covenanting, understood correctly is swearing, or promising to fulfill your moral obligations as a member of Christ's Church. It is like when you take the stand as a witness, and they ask if you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And you reply, I swear. You were already bound by moral obligation to swear to tell the truth, but you have additionally obligated yourself as a witness. This is the essence of Covenanting. > >

      >  >

      God has provided a means, or ordinance, for us to be able to additionally bind ourselves to these moral obligations. It is a wonderful means of grace. > >

      >  >

      And so again, thank you for the present exercise. Here is my answer in a broad context of the Church, and not as an individual. This is of course a superficial start. > >

      >  >

      "We, noblemen, barons, knights, gentlemen, citizens, burgesses, ministers of the Gospel, and commons of all sorts, in the kingdoms of Scotland, England, and Ireland, by the providence of GOD living under one king, and being of one reformed religion, having before our eyes the glory of God, and the advancement of the kingdom of our Lord and Saviour JESUS CHRIST, the honour and happiness of the king's majesty and his posterity, and the true public liberty, safety, and peace of the kingdom, wherein every one's private condition is included: and calling to mind the treacherous and bloody plots, conspiracies, attempts, and practices of the enemies of GOD, against the true religion and professors thereof in all places, especially in these three kingdoms, ever since the reformation of religion; and how much their rage, power, and presumption, are of late, and at this time, increased and exercised, whereof the deplorable state of the Church and kingdom of Ireland, the distressed state of the Church and kingdom of England, and the dangerous state of the Church and kingdom of Scotland, are present and public testimonies: we have now at last (after other means of supplication, remonstrance, protestation, and sufferings), for the preservation of ourselves and our religion from utter ruin and destruction, according to the commendable practice of these kingdoms in former times, and the example of GOD'S people in other nations, after mature deliberation, resolved and determined to enter into a Mutual and Solemn League and Covenant, wherein we all subscribe, and each one of us for himself, with our hands lifted up to the Most High GOD, do swear, > >

      >  >

      In the Prologue, we are bound in our several callings and places to take up this covenant WITH GOD. Notice it is not people covenanting with other people. Two parties are represented – 1) The King's Dominion and 2) God. > >

      >  >

      Also, though it really goes without saying, those who want to say that Social Covenanting is an Old Testament ordinance – my answer is take it up with the Reformers. We grant that all are bound to these duties with or without covenanting – But that is not the issue. The issue is whether or not we are bound to keep lawful promises that our forefathers made to God to aid us in the keeping of our duties. > >

      >  >

      "I. That we shall sincerely, really, and constantly, through the grace of GOD, endeavor, in our several places and callings, the preservation of the reformed religion in the Church of Scotland, in doctrine, worship, discipline, and government, against our common enemies; the reformation of religion in the kingdoms of England and Ireland, in doctrine, worship, discipline, and government, according to the Word of GOD, and the example of the best reformed Churches; and shall endeavour to bring the Churches of GOD in the three kingdoms to the nearest conjunction and uniformity in religion, Confession of Faith, Form of Church Government, Directory for Worship and Catechising; that we, and our posterity after us, may, as brethren, live in faith and love, and the Lord may delight to dwell in the midst of us. > >

      >  >

      The first paragraph commits all of the citizens under the King's dominion and their posterity to the preservation of the reformed religion in doctrine, worship, discipline and government and to seek the reformation of the church where needed. We are also to seek the uniformity of the churches through means of Covenanting along with one confession of faith and catechism, one form of government, and one directory for worship. These have been produced, and are known as the Westminster Standards, which are agreeable unto, and founded upon the Scriptures. Because they are agreeable to the Bible, we uphold them as part of our covenanted obligations for Unity and Uniformity in the True Religion. > >

      >  >

      We have not sought to corrupt the Confession, by taking out Biblical principles, while pasting in unbiblical doctrines – and then being misleading by saying that we hold to the Westminster Confession of Faith. Nor do we abandon the Directory and Form, in exchange for documents of generality and less clarity than the Standards. > >

      >  >

      In other words, we promote Reformation by first truly promoting and defending orthodox and reformed confessional Christianity summarized in our 6 Terms of Communion. > >

      >  >

      "II. That we shall, in like manner, without respect of persons, endeavour the extirpation of Popery, Prelacy (that is, Church government by archbishops, bishops, their chancellors and commissioners, deans, deans and chapters, archdeacons, and all other ecclesiastical officers depending on that hierarchy), superstition, heresy, schism, profaneness, and whatsoever shall be found contrary to sound doctrine and the power of Godliness; lest we partake in other men's sins, and thereby be in danger to receive of their plagues; and that the Lord may be one, and his name one, in the three kingdoms. > >

      >  >

      In the second paragraph we are committed to uproot, in lawful ways, all false religion which includes Popery, Prelacy and also Independency – the greatest form of schism. Since many more heretical forms of false religion have taken root by the Pluralism of the Nations, there is more weeding to be done. Also notice, that we are to extirpate unscriptural systems and evil practices, and not persons. > >

      >  >

      We preach against false religion in our pulpits, we tell the civil magistrates their duty to God and man. We address it in our own places and callings, including mothers with their children, fathers with their family in family worship, men and women in the workplace, etc. > >

      >  >

      We also do not countenance these false (in the unfaithful sense) religions but keep from their false worship, and their idolatry, which has crept in unawares in many Reformed and Presbyterian Churches. > >

      >  >

      In other words, though we testify against the contemporary "Ecumenical movement, where they exalt their points of agreement, and ignore their points that keep them separated is practiced, we promote the Ecumenicism of the Westminster Assembly; an ecumenicism that invites all to come to the Table of Unity in Truth, asking of all who take her chairs to place our differences on the table that they may be sorted and we may be one in God's Truth. We don't ignore our differences, but charitably challenge each other using the Standard of faith and practice of all those present – The very Word of God. > >

      >  >

      "III. We shall, with the same sincerity, reality, and constancy, in our several vocations, endeavour, with our estates and lives, mutually to preserve the rights and privileges of the Parliaments, and the liberties of the kingdoms; and to preserve and defend the king's majesty's person and authority, in the preservation and defence of the true religion and liberties of the kingdoms; that the world may bear witness with our consciences of our loyalty, and that we have no other thoughts or intentions to diminish his majesty's just power and greatness. > >

      >  >

      Paragraph three commits us in our various callings to uphold the rights and privileges of those in Civil Magistracy, and their citizens. Notice that it says that we defend the Civil Magistrate as he defends the true religion. When one abuses their authority, our testimony to them is to repent, for you have abandoned your rule. Our allegiance is limited to faithfulness according to this paragraph. > >

      >  >

      When the king violates the original Constitution, or sets up some false (in the unlawful sense) Constitution which in turn violates the original Constitution, and tramples upon the constitutional rights of the people, the sovereign power reverts to the people. > >

      >  >

      We do not use their unlawfulness to promote our unlawfulness or the unlawfulness of others; rather we keep all their lawful commands because the commands are lawful, and do not follow in their rebellion against God as they seek to cast off His yoke that is upon them. > >

      >  >

      We do not vote for civil officers, presently, due to the unlawful swearing they maintain to the false Constitution of this nation. We will not partake in any of their false wars, though would defend our household and community if needed. We pray for this nation, and its rulers, on a regular basis. > >

      >  >

      In other words, we are true patriots. We are not guilty of treason, or perjury, for we recognize Christ head of all kingdoms. It is the kings and princes, and rulers and presidents, and senators, and representatives who perjure Christ. And when they cease, and promote His kingdom, we shall promote them. > >

      >  >

      IV. We shall also, with all faithfulness, endeavour the discovery of all such as have been or shall be incendiaries, malignants, or evil instruments, be hindering the reformation of religion, dividing the king from his people, or one of the kingdoms from another, or making any faction or parties among the people, contrary to this League and Covenant; that they may be brought to public trial, and receive condign punishment, as the degree of their offences shall require or deserve, or the supreme judicatories of both kingdoms respectively, or others having power from them for that effect, shall judge convenient. > >

      >  >

      The fourth paragraph commits us to oppose all who generally promote schism and oppose the reformation of the Church and State, and who do these specifically contrary to this Covenant. Since this Covenant acts as a remedy to the opposition to Christ's Kingdom, those who oppose this Covenant, oppose the lace w:st="on"> lacetype w:st="on">Kingdom lacetype> of lacename w:st="on">Christ lacename> lace>, and are Covenant breakers. > >

      >  >

      We preach Christ and the Covenants in our pulpits, teach them to our children, and make them Terms of Christian Communion. > >

      >  >

      We also maintain a testimony against those who are guilty of being contrary to this Covenant. We censure those in our midst who once held to this Covenant, and have turned their backs upon the obligations therein. > >

      >  >

      So we commit ourselves to oppose all who oppose the true religion in church and state and all who seek to divide the covenanted people. > >

      >  >

      V. And whereas the happiness of a blessed peace between these kingdoms, denied in former times to our progenitors, is, by the good providence of GOD, granted unto us, and hath been lately concluded and settled by both Parliaments; we shall, each one of us, according to our place and interest, endeavour that they may remain conjoined in a firm peace and union to all posterity; and that justice may be done upon the willful opposers thereof, in manner expressed in the precedent article. > >

      >  >

      Paragraph five commits us to seek to maintain the union among the posterity of the King's dominion, and to also seek relations with other Nations, that they too would endeavor to walk in new obedience, and covenant to Almighty God. > >

      >  >

      There is that binding language, that descending obligation language – or do you who are part of this posterity deny such, desiring to cast of the yoke off Christ? > >

      >  >

      Contrary to popular believe we do have a mission's field. By maintaining our Terms of Christian Communion and making them accessible to the entire world as a witness, many from all over the world are in current and perpetual dialogue with us- The Netherlands, Zambia, Switzerland, Spain, Columbia, Italy, Uzbekistan, not to mention those all over the US and Canada. > >

      >  >

      VI. We shall also, according to our places and callings, in this common cause of religion, liberty, and peace of the kingdoms, assist and defend all those that enter into this League and Covenant, in the maintaining and pursuing thereof; and shall not suffer ourselves, directly or indirectly, by whatsoever combination, persuasion, or terror, to be divided or withdrawn from this blessed union and conjunction, whether to make defection to the contrary part, or to give ourselves to a detestable indifferency or neutrality in this cause, which so much concerneth the glory of God, the good of the kingdom, and honour of the king; but shall, all the days of our lives, zealously and constantly continue therein against all opposition, and promote the same, according to our power, against all lets and impediments whatsoever; and what we are not able ourselves to suppress or overcome, we shall reveal and make known, that it may be timely prevented or removed: All which we shall do as in the sight of God. > >

      >  >

      The last section commits us to mutual defense, union, assistance and support in pursuit of advancing the goals of the Covenant. > >

      >  >

      We stand always to give an answer to those who would question us in regards to unity in the true religion. We have made our Terms of Communion known and published throughout all the Earth. We have recorded and made available for free our sermons and lectures, and SWRB has made many resources available for free. > >

      >  >

      We call our people to Reformation duties, and do not seek to hide in the world. We call upon our God to be our strength and defense, we thank Him for places His enemies around us for a season, that we may be sanctified and zealous for His Truth. We also pray that He would remove the enemies and infidels of His Kingdom, from our midst that we faint not, that we may also promote His Crown and Covenant. > >

      >  >

      And, because these kingdoms are guilty of many sins and provocations against GOD, and his Son JESUS CHRIST, as is too manifest by our present distresses and dangers, the fruits thereof; we profess and declare, before GOD and the world, our unfeigned desire to be humbled for our own sins, and for the sins of these kingdoms; especially that we have not, as we ought, valued the inestimable benefit of the Gospel; that we have not laboured for the purity and power thereof; and the we have not endeavoured to receive Christ in our hearts, not to walk worthy of him in our lives; which are the causes of other sins and transgression so much abounding amongst us: and our true and unfeigned purpose, desire, and endeavour, for ourselves, and all others under our power and charge, both in public and private, in all duties we owe to GOD and man, to amend our lives, and each one to go before another in the example of a real reformation; that the Lord may turn away his wrath and heavy indignation, and establish these Churches and kingdoms in truth and peace. And this Covenant we make in the presence of ALMIGHTY GOD, the Searcher of all hearts, with a true intention to perform the same, as we shall answer at that great day, when the secrets of all hearts shall be disclosed; most humbly beseeching the LORD to strengthen us by his HOLY SPIRIT for this end, and to bless our desires and proceedings with such success, as may be deliverance and safety to his people, and encouragement to other Christian Churches, groaning under, or in danger of the yoke of antichristian tyranny, to join in the same or like association and covenant, to the glory of GOD, the enlargement of the kingdom of JESUS CHRIST, and the peace and tranquillity of Christian kingdoms and commonwealths. > >

      >  >

      Our Conclusion is a confession of our sin and humiliation before God, and desire to see all nations yoke themselves with this light yoke of Christ, this ordinance of Covenanting to be the people of God, whether it be by this Covenant or another. There is also an engagement to all godly practice. > >

      >  >

      We don't view these articles as principle to simply profess, but to be promoted by action. > >