Re: [Covenanted Reformation] Foxe's Book of Martyrs

  • Linda A
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2005
      Thanks for the link. In case anyone would like to not have to read from the
      computer screen,
      I found it last summer on http://www.abebooks.com/ for a couple of dollars.
      I just looked again and there are several starting at $1.00. I've found
      quite a few out of print books there for reasonable prices. I became
      interested in the Covenanters while doing genealogy research and I have
      found many out of print genealogy books on that website also. I usually only
      lurk and I'll get back to that now. I hope it's ok to post the website.
      Linda A
      descendant of Covenanters
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2005
        Thanks Linda.

        On Abe Books, some of the listed Foxe's Book of Martyrs are the
        abriged and edited (way edited down) versions of the original.

        The original work is several volumes long.

        I do not think we will see the entire work redone in book form for a
        while. It is cheaper to do it online or on e-text now, I guess.

        sniff, sniff, are good old fashioned hand-held books going to go the
        way of scrolls and parchments?? :-(

        I hope not!!!

        Edgar

        --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Linda A"
        <blwkk@b...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the link. In case anyone would like to not have to read
        from the
        > computer screen,
        > I found it last summer on http://www.abebooks.com/ for a couple of
        dollars.
        > I just looked again and there are several starting at $1.00. I've
        found
        > quite a few out of print books there for reasonable prices. I
        became
        > interested in the Covenanters while doing genealogy research and I
        have
        > found many out of print genealogy books on that website also. I
        usually only
        > lurk and I'll get back to that now. I hope it's ok to post the
        website.
        > Linda A
        > descendant of Covenanters

      • berean1993
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2005
          <blwkk@b...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the link. In case anyone would like to not have to read
          from the
          > computer screen,
          > I found it last summer on http://www.abebooks.com/ for a couple of
          dollars.
          > I just looked again and there are several starting at $1.00.

          Linda,
          There is confusion over the paperback now in print and the original
          work which is eight volumes.

          FOXE, JOHN, <B>Acts and Monuments or Foxe's Book of Martyrs</B>,
          1554, 8 volumes (Cerlox Bound Photocopy Series and Hardback Bound.
          Edmonton, AB, Canada: <A HREF="http://www.swrb.com/"><B>Still Waters
          Revival Books</B></A>, 1843-49 edition), <A
          HREF="http://wwwlib.umi.com/eebo/"> EEBO.</A><BR>
          Foxe, John, <A
          HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0197262252/webedbiblicalc
          ou"><B>Facsimile of John Foxe's Book of Martyrs 1583 Actes and
          Monuments of Matters Most Special and Memorable</B></A>, David G.
          Newcombe and Michael Pidd (Oxford University Press; CD-ROM edition,
          September 2001).<BR>
          The above three publications are the original work is 8 volumes.<BR>
          " 'No book ever inflicted a wound so deep and incurable on the Romish
          system of superstition and bloody persecution... (it) was placed
          in... all churches and chapels throughout the kingdom, by order of
          Queen Elizabeth.' (Smith, <I>Select Memoirs</I>, p. 245). Contains
          much information not found in any of the liberally edited and
          severely shortened editions of this classic work which are in print
          today. Covering martyrs from the early church through to Foxe's day,
          it was one of the most influential books of the sixteenth century! It
          overflows with faith building testimony of the power of God to
          overcome the most cruel and barbarous acts of human depravity and
          demonic cruelty. 6890 pages. A very rare set, now back in print after
          150 years!" -- SWRB<BR>
          "After the Bible itself, no book so profoundly influenced early
          Protestant sentiment as the Book of Martyrs. Even in our time it is
          still a living force. It is more than a record of persecution. It is
          an arsenal of controversy, a storehouse of romance, as well as a
          source of edification." -- James Miller Dodds, <I>English
          Prose</I><BR>
          "When one recollects that until the appearance of the Pilgrim's
          Progress the common people had almost no other reading matter except
          the Bible and Fox's Book of Martyrs, we can understand the deep
          impression that this book produced; and how it served to mold the
          national character. Those who could read for themselves learned the
          full details of all the atrocities performed on the Protestant
          reformers; the illiterate could see the rude illustrations of the
          various instruments of torture, the rack, the gridiron, the boiling
          oil, and then the holy ones breathing out their souls amid the
          flames. Take a people just awakening to a new intellectual and
          religious life; let several generations of them, from childhood to
          old age, pore over such a book, and its stories become traditions as
          individual and almost as potent as songs and customs on a nation's
          life." -- Douglas Campbell, <I>The Puritan in Holland, England, and
          America</I><BR>
          "If we divest the book of its accidental character of feud between
          churches, it yet stands, in the first years of Elizabeth's reign, a
          monument that marks the growing strength of a desire for spiritual
          freedom, defiance of those forms that seek to stifle conscience and
          fetter thought." -- Henry Morley, <I>English Writers</I><BR>
          "John Foxe was a prince among believers. He had his printing press on
          a cart, and had often to print at night, moving his press before dawn
          to escape capture and burning at the stake. He never faltered in his
          purpose to leave a voluminous written witness to the power of the
          Lord Jesus Christ to keep His saints in love and peace." -- Jay P.
          Green, Sr.<BR>
          A Christian classic.<BR>
          <B>Fox's Book of Martyrs,</B> an abridgement edited by William Byron
          Forbush<BR>
          <A HREF="http://www.ccel.org/f/foxe_j/martyrs/home.html">
          http://www.ccel.org/f/foxe_j/martyrs/home.html</A><BR>
          <B>Foxe's Book of Martyrs</B> an abridgement, edited by William Byron
          Forbush<BR>
          <A
          HREF="http://www.biblestudytools.net/History/AD/FoxsBookofMartyrs/">
          http://www.biblestudytools.net/History/AD/FoxsBookofMartyrs/</A>