Re: The House of Lords

  • Whit
    Message 1 of 57 , Aug 12, 2005
      I occasionally watch both Houses on ParliamentTV online; it seems
      that the only time there's a sizable count of them together is
      during State Opening. Our cable TV doesn't carry much of foreign
      parliaments. So, I try watch them online.

      Whit

      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, crazy_calvinist
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > ---
      > Well this has nothing to do with the question, but I would be
      worried
      > if the Lord's had much power for anything, since every time one
      sees
      > them on TV, half of them are sleeping through the proceedings!! ;-
      )
      > (tis true)
      >
      > ~Deejay
      >

      > In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Whit"
      > <covie_pres.1646@v...> wrote:
      > > How would you explain that in the context of the UK Parliament,
      of
      > > which is 2 houses: the Commons and the Lords? The Commons make
      > > Bills and pass laws (having the Royal Assent from the Queen).
      Since
      > > the 1600's, Bills written by the Commons to raise taxes and make
      an
      > > expenditure cannot be amended by the Lords. The Lords reviews
      and
      > > revise Bills and all others laws yet are still part of
      Parlianment
      > > (in addition to being the UK "Supreme Court", the final court of
      > > Appeal). However, if the Lords stop a Bill, it may be proposed
      > > again in Commons, and the Commons may pass it without the Lord's
      > > review or consent. (REF: "House of Lords Briefing", 2003, UK
      > > Parliament: House of Lords)
      > >
      > > Whit

    • Fred blahous
      Message 57 of 57 , Aug 13, 2005
        Thanks, Whit.

        Won't it be great when we see all the other kingdoms establishing
        the same unified religion, and abolishing both Popery and the
        Eastern anti-filioque religion in Russia and Serbia? Then we will
        finally be rid of church divisions and the so-called "three great
        traditions" nonsense, bandied about so much.

        All the best,
        Fred.

        <covie_pres.1646@v...> wrote:
        > Indeed true!. Very good point as Psalms, Isaiah, and the other
        > books have warnings and exhortations to "kiss the Son lest he be
        > angry", "the Kings shall be thy nursing fathers", etc.
        >
        > Whit
        >
        > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Fred blahous"
        > <fritzbau@y...> wrote:
        > > Nations are under obligation to establish Presbyterianism
        because
        > it
        > > is the true religion required in God's Word, with or without a
        > > covenant to do so. God did not tell us that "nations have no
        > > obligation to Presbyterianism" in Acts 15, did he? And I repeat,
        > > what was stopping them from simply not including non-
        Presbyterian
        > > states in their compacts? There is no call for war, certainly,
        but
        > > this does not mean they can form a compact with idolators. Just
        my
        > > thoughts.
        > >
        > > All the best,
        > > Fred.
        > >
        > > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, Larry Bump
        > > <lbump@b...> wrote:

        > Presbyterian?
        > > > >

        > > > No, it's not. How can that be said?
        > > > Virginia was not under any Covenant except her Constitution,
        nor
        > > was New
        > > > Hampshire. Neither had a prior obligation to be Presbyterian,
        > > > congregational, or Anglican. Both were equally sovereign.
        How
        > > should
        > > > the issue be resolved? By not involving either state in the
        > > matters of
        > > > the other; i.e. as it was by aknowledging the sovereignty of
        > > either state.
        > > >
        > > > Sure, it's no-Presbyterian. But so were some of the States.
        We