Re: [Covenanted Reformation] nathan eshelman: new member

  • Cheryl Grenon
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
      Welcome Nathan!  I believe your wife, Lydia, is a member of my Biblewives list.

      I'm Cheryl Grenon,   mom to 12, the youngest of whom is about 2 weeks older than your Owen.  One of my sons is named Nathanael as well.  I also have 2 grandchildren.  My husband and I have been married for almost 25 years.  I am a member of the Prince George Society associated with the RPNA.  My dh is not reformed so the children and I attend without him.

      I don't own any rifles or shot guns, but my dh does.  He also has reloading equipment.  Does this count?

      I don't like cigars or cigarettes, and can't stand the taste of beer.  Give me chocolate and hard ciders or white zinfandel any day.

      I take nursing my son quite seriously and frequently wear scrubs to demonstrate my devotion to this duty.  It gets me funny looks in the grocery store, however, because people see me with what is obviously a new baby and wearing a work uniform and they assume I am back "at work" already.  Little do they know that scrubs are extremely comfortable, durable and practically stainproof mothering wear.  I do work in health care, but I do it from my own home as I am a certified practitioner in alternative healthcare.  My long term goal is to get my Ph.D. and become a naturopath.

      Cheryl

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
        Thanks for the introduction Cheryl. It is nice to know that a "bible wife" is also in the "club".
        I think that more of the wives should join in the theological discussion as well as the husbands see the importance of nursing. As you may know, Lydia nurses both of our children. (Owen for life, Anna for sleeping and comfort.

        I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or other dead animal- but I believe that Christian liberty allows others to!

        Nate

      • jparnellm@usxchange.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
          Nate, are you the one that passed out all of these "love wins" bumper stickers
          that I am seeing around Grand Rapids lately? And did you get the idea from the
          Day of the Placards in French history?

          - Parnell McCarter

          Quoting Nathan&Lydia Eshelman <nleshelman@...>:

          > I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or other dead
          > animal- ...
          >
          > Nate

        • Cheryl Grenon
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
            Dear Nate,

            If you could see some of the theological drubbings that are sometimes  handed out around here you would understand why the women tend to stay on the sidelines in discussion.

            Long before I was reformed, I used to be in the 32nd Service Battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces militia unit.  I learned to throw grenades, shoot rifles and use an SMG.  I even wore camo paint and ran around in the woods trying to pretend I knew what I was doing.  Everyone should be grateful that the security of Canada does not rest on my shoulders.  Even so, don't mess with me. :oP

            Cheryl

            > Some personal info: Been maried 7 years, was a member of the OPC  for 7
            years
            > and under care of the OPC Presbytery of the Southeast for 3 of those
            years
            > before transferring membership to the RPCNA over 2 years ago, am 2
            semesters
            > away from finishing my Registered Nursing degree [I currently work in
            > Emergency Medicine in an ER, and will continue in Emergency Medicine there
            with  my
            > RN]. I enjoy fly fishing, long range varmint hunting and handgun hunting
            of
            > deer, turkey etc, am an FFL and enjoy most all things regarding firearms,
            also
            > enjoy smoking pipe and  cigars and sampling single malts or dark ales
            while
            > discussiong theology, philosophy etc.

            As I learn more and more, I find I like you better!
            I am a C&R FFL holder, EMT/FF (volunteer), bullet caster and reloader. My
            focus is more historical arms and such; the eyes aren't good enough for long
            range stuff.
            If I ever have another secular career it will likely be RN, too.  But I
            can't find anyone that enjoys dark ales with me and likes to discuss
            Reformed Theology. ;-(

            Larry

          • Edgar A. Ibarra Jr.
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
              Cheryl,

              > Long before I was reformed, I used to be in the 32nd Service
              Battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces militia unit. I learned to
              throw grenades, shoot rifles and use an SMG. I even wore camo paint
              and ran around in the woods trying to pretend I knew what I was
              doing. Everyone should be grateful that the security of Canada does
              not rest on my shoulders. Even so, don't mess with me. :oP

              > Cheryl

              I love it! Funny! I was a U.S. Marine for 8 years (1990-1998), I
              tend to consider it the best time period of my life. I, however,
              did know what I was doing with the weapons they gave me... ;-)
              Then, there were the spiritual weapons that the Lord provided me
              during the same period...well let me tell you what a place to fully
              excercise one's spiritual gifts and sanctification!

              Semper Fi
              Do or Die!

              Edgar

              --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Grenon"

              -----------
            • Larry Bump
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 11, 2005
                From: "Edgar A. Ibarra Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@...>

                > I love it! Funny! I was a U.S. Marine for 8 years

                I was in the USAF for 26 wonderful days in 1984.
                I have flat feet, they tell me!

                Larry
              • jparnellm@usxchange.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 12, 2005
                  BTW- I am just being facetious with Nate.

                  Nate is analyzing a local "emergent church" mega-church on his blog. One of
                  their methods is these "love wins" bumper stickers.

                  - Parnell McCarter

                  Quoting jparnellm@...:

                  > Nate, are you the one that passed out all of these "love wins" bumper
                  > stickers
                  > that I am seeing around Grand Rapids lately? And did you get the idea from
                  > the
                  > Day of the Placards in French history?
                  >
                  > - Parnell McCarter
                  >

                  > Quoting Nathan&Lydia Eshelman <nleshelman@...>:
                  >
                  > > I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or other dead
                  > > animal- ...
                  > >
                  > > Nate
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Willena
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 12, 2005
                    Hi Nathan,

                    I am one of the Biblewives too, but here I mostly read and seldom post. I claim no experience with or knowledge of guns of any kind, having never had one in my home or even held one in my hands... and I love deer and moose only to look at, or to eat if someone else does the hunting. :oP

                    I am Willena Flewelling, and I have been married to Ian for 23 years. I have seven children ranging in age from 22 to 6. I too have a Nathaniel. I nursed my children for both food and comfort too, for as long as four years with some of them.

                    My children and I are members of the RPNA in Edmonton, but my husband is not.

                    Willena

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 12, 2005
                      Will it win me the lotto???

                      or

                      some Corn Flakes???

                      Ah, the bumper stickers...Many moons ago, when my PCA Pastor, one of
                      the Elders and myself went to an Evangelism Explosion Training
                      Seminar, I recall a young lady giving her testimonials and how, in
                      her own words now, "She was saved by a bumper sticker". Now I
                      understand all about God's providential use of any means to
                      accomplish His means, but I could not help but chuckle at the way
                      she said it and then since many did not give the response I guess
                      she was looking for, she quickly qualified it, but I still cannot
                      help but chuckle....

                      Whatever happened to just presenting the Gospel and living the life
                      as living epistles???

                      Too much lovey doveyness...

                      Smile, God loves you(maybe).... (my Calvinst bumper sticker),

                      j/k,
                      Edgar

                      --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, jparnellm@u...
                      wrote:
                      > BTW- I am just being facetious with Nate.
                      >
                      > Nate is analyzing a local "emergent church" mega-church on his
                      blog. One of
                      > their methods is these "love wins" bumper stickers.
                      >
                      > - Parnell McCarter
                      >

                      > Quoting jparnellm@u...:
                      >
                      > > Nate, are you the one that passed out all of these "love wins"
                      bumper
                      > > stickers
                      > > that I am seeing around Grand Rapids lately? And did you get
                      the idea from
                      > > the
                      > > Day of the Placards in French history?
                      > >
                      > > - Parnell McCarter
                      > >

                      > > Quoting Nathan&Lydia Eshelman <nleshelman@y...>:
                      > >
                      > > > I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or
                      other dead
                      > > > animal- ...
                      > > >
                      > > > Nate
                      > > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Fred blahous
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                        So much for women remaining silent in church.lol.

                      • Fred blahous
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                          What on earth is an emergent church? Just curious.

                          All the best,
                          Fred.

                          wrote:
                          > BTW- I am just being facetious with Nate.
                          >
                          > Nate is analyzing a local "emergent church" mega-church on his
                          blog. One of
                          > their methods is these "love wins" bumper stickers.
                          >
                          > - Parnell McCarter
                          >

                          > Quoting jparnellm@u...:
                          >
                          > > Nate, are you the one that passed out all of these "love wins"
                          bumper
                          > > stickers
                          > > that I am seeing around Grand Rapids lately? And did you get
                          the idea from
                          > > the
                          > > Day of the Placards in French history?
                          > >
                          > > - Parnell McCarter
                          > >

                          > > Quoting Nathan&Lydia Eshelman <nleshelman@y...>:
                          > >
                          > > > I do not own any guns, camo, pickup, or have a mounted deer or
                          other dead
                          > > > animal- ...
                          > > >
                          > > > Nate
                          > > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Fred blahous
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                            G'day Larry.

                            I was rejected because I have flat feet. They just cramp up on me
                            sometimes and I get unbearable agony. That's why I wear orthodontics.

                            All the best,
                            Fred.

                            --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bump"
                            <lbump@b...> wrote:

> [...]
                          • Fred blahous
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                              How strange that the one institution in society which is trained
                              specifically to kill (hopefully just the baddies) should be the
                              least corrupted in our society. The medical profession would be the
                              worst, since they get paid to bump off older patients and
                              handicapped babies. So much for the caring profession.

                              All the best,
                              Fred.

                              Jr." <puritanpresbyterian@y...> wrote:
                              > Cheryl,
                              >
                              > > Long before I was reformed, I used to be in the 32nd Service
                              > Battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces militia unit. I learned to
                              > throw grenades, shoot rifles and use an SMG. I even wore camo
                              paint
                              > and ran around in the woods trying to pretend I knew what I was
                              > doing. Everyone should be grateful that the security of Canada
                              does
                              > not rest on my shoulders. Even so, don't mess with me. :oP
                              > >
                              > > Cheryl
                              >
                              > I love it! Funny! I was a U.S. Marine for 8 years (1990-1998), I
                              > tend to consider it the best time period of my life. I, however,
                              > did know what I was doing with the weapons they gave me... ;-)
                              > Then, there were the spiritual weapons that the Lord provided me
                              > during the same period...well let me tell you what a place to
                              fully
                              > excercise one's spiritual gifts and sanctification!
                              >
                              > Semper Fi
                              > Do or Die!
                              >
                              > Edgar
                              >

                              > --- In covenantedreformationclub@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Grenon"
                              > <cheryl@g...> wrote:
                              > > Dear Nate,
                              > >
                              > > If you could see some of the theological drubbings that are
                              > sometimes handed out around here you would understand why the
                              women
                              > tend to stay on the sidelines in discussion.
                              > >
                              > > Long before I was reformed, I used to be in the 32nd Service
                              > Battalion of the Canadian Armed Forces militia unit. I learned to
                              > throw grenades, shoot rifles and use an SMG. I even wore camo
                              paint
                              > and ran around in the woods trying to pretend I knew what I was
                              > doing. Everyone should be grateful that the security of Canada
                              does
                              > not rest on my shoulders. Even so, don't mess with me. :oP
                              > >
                              > > Cheryl

                              Terms
                              > of Service.

                              > -----------
                            • Fred blahous
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 13, 2005
                                But no-one ever attacks others personally, only positions. This is
                                the opposite of the Calvin Lives club which I was on for a while,
                                where they constantly ripped into everyone, from Deano at Calvinist
                                Singles to Larry Birger at SWRB, etc. This group is a welcome change
                                from all that.

                                All the best,
                                Fred.